Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Yes i know another thread about egr and flat spots

Hi all, i am sorry to go over this again, but i have a flat spot at 1500 to 2000 rpm, almost like putting foot on and off gas really quickly.
    I have cleaned the egr completely for a second time in a year, i have cleaned the boost sensor just up form egr again but still does it.
    My swirl rod is off and wont stay on, my injectors are all connected but do have yellow tags but i tie wrapped the third in place anyway.
    So what do i do???
    I could fiat blank egr valve but would this go through mot and actually do anything, do the mod on swirl valve rod and see if it stays on.

I need help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

In order of what I would do given your car situation...
    1) Glue open swirl flaps (10 o'clock position I believe - check related posts as I've not had to do this myself). A tad cheaper than replacing the manifold and if your bar is already off, seems like the easiest thing to do first.
    2) Unplug the EGR to see if the flat spot goes away - don't worry about the emissions light.
    3) Blank EGR entirely with home-fabricated plate - I'm not certain, but latest MOT regulations may mean that the emissions light you would get from this would fail the car - anyone know more about this? Alternatively, re-map ECU to prevent emissions light being shown from blanking, OR use Fiat blanking plate, which shouldn't give you the emissions light as I understand it.
    4) Check for leaks in your vacuum pipes - replace if any holes/splits found.
    5) Clean throttle body.
    6) Replace injector harnesses for blue ones.
    None of these cost much, except if you re-map, so all worth a go if you have the time and a bit of confidence to get on with it. I'm sure someone else will add a few things to check.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ok that's a good start thank you, is there that you know of a picture or how 2 on throttle body??.
    And this may make you laugh but when you say vacuum pipes, which ones do you mean???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by DieselWig View Post
    In order of what I would do given your car situation...
    1) Glue open swirl flaps (10 o'clock position I believe - check related posts as I've not had to do this myself). A tad cheaper than replacing the manifold and if your bar is already off, seems like the easiest thing to do first.

glue flaps 1, 2, & 4... i have done this & it has been a good result for me

2) Unplug the EGR to see if the flat spot goes away - don't worry about the emissions light.

Unplug it regardless, this is the reason your swirl flaps have failed... even the newer manifolds fail due to the egr, if you can live with emissions light on then no need to map out, just plug back in at mot time

3) Blank EGR entirely with home-fabricated plate - I'm not certain, but latest MOT regulations may mean that the emissions light you would get from this would fail the car - anyone know more about this? Alternatively, re-map ECU to prevent emissions light being shown from blanking, OR use Fiat blanking plate, which shouldn't give you the emissions light as I understand it.
    blanking & mapping out is the preferred if you are keeping the motor & cannot cope with emissions light on.

4) Check for leaks in your vacuum pipes - replace if any holes/splits found.
    do this as general servicing

5) Clean throttle body.
    remove boost pipe & blast carb leaner into the body (10 second squirts at a time with a minute interval) while someone holds the revs at around 2-2.5k

6) Replace injector harnesses for blue ones.
    I haven't needed to do this, my motor is at 146k
    None of these cost much, except if you re-map, so all worth a go if you have the time and a bit of confidence to get on with it. I'm sure someone else will add a few things to check.
    any other advice feel free to ask

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by dh.dti View Post
    5) Clean throttle body.
    remove boost pipe & blast carb leaner into the body (10 second squirts at a time with a minute interval) while someone holds the revs at around 2-2.5k
    By that do you mean the pipe I have highlighted? IE, Squirt into that pipe, not the airbox?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

pretty much same as dieselwig with some pics http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showth...=vacuum%2Bpump

Thread Information