User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Britains " Hunger Shame " == on I.T.V.'s Tonight show .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Britains " Hunger Shame " == on I.T.V.'s Tonight show .

Did anyone watch the Tonight show last night on I.T.V. ?

http://www.itv.com/news/2012-08-10/t...tv1-at-8-00pm/

In the United Kingdom , people / families are going without food because , like all other bills/costs , food prices are rising too high , compared to the rise in wages .

According to a report by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation more than 4 million people in the U.K. are in food poverty and many have admitted to skipping meals altogether and going hungry.

One woman gave up meals , so her children could be fed and she only had cereal in the morning and not much else . She had smaller meals than her kids , so they didn't go hungry .

One man chose to buy a £ 13 travel ticket to see his children , rather than buying food , because high food prices meant that he could not do both .

Nowadays Food Banks like the ones run by a christian charity called the Trusselll Trust provide a hearty snack, three days worth of food to take away and a sympathetic ear for those most in need. The Trusselll Trust help anyone referred to them by frontline services, including people who work but are on the breadline.

And towns have started growing FREE vegetables in spaces where you wouldn't expect , like in train stations and outside police stations and the public can pull them out for no money what so ever .

It also turns out that Supermarkets rejects tonnes and tonnes of usable fruit & veg just because of it's shape and size .
    ========================================

Hearing of 4 million people ( including children ) in Britiain being on the food peverty line has shocked me a little and knowing my own kids have a fridge , cupboard and freezer full of food , makes me feel a little guilty that i can afford to go shopping at Sainsbury's , Iceland and Asda .

But in a way it is swings and roundabouts ,

as in , ,, , recently i was unemployed for three months and had to sell my car , to get through the bills .

But luckily now , i am employed again and can afford food , bills etc .

But , now i walk or have to use public transport for the time being .

I apologise if my lack of car situation sounds tiny/small compared to families without food .
    =======================================

What are Vec C's members thoughts on " Britain's Food Poverty " ?
    Last edited by HITFACTORY1403; 11th August 2012 at 11:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there should be enough money to feed them properly, trouble is the money is often misused -- buying fags and booze with welfare funds shouldn't happen, but it certainly does.
    i've often said it would be better to issue food vouchers, or a monitored welfare card like they do in the usa - problem solved. isn't going to happen though, the state will continue giving out cash that'll inevitably get misused.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree food vouchers would be a good idea and i'm sure all the big supermarkets would sign upto it as would a lot of independent retailers , i would think .

If food vouchers were used instead of cash , then i guess that Water , Electric and Gas companies would have to come into line too .

This could be a way to stop the mis-use of benefits cash .

But i don't think the Government would spend the millions needed to wheel it out , even if it meant down the line that Government cash was being spent more wisely .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched the programme. We're on disability benefits and my military pension, we've not been far off what they showed many a time. We don't smoke or drink - even if we wanted to we're both on too much medication.
    Last Autumn, after the government changed, they threw out my wife's claim for Carer's allowance purely as there was no money to pay for it, and in doing so called my GP a liar (he wasn't best pleased). Then Dss opened a 5yr old query and knocked us down to £45 weekly to live. Even they said we couldn't eat and pay our bills. Now I have a long form to fill in to justify why I'm not employed - I'm 58 on a couple of months, can't walk well or far, crap short term memory, drop any small items, ie car keys etc and need the toilet a lot. Yep, no reason I can't be snapped up.
    I was surprised the lady on cereal (hubby was in military basic training) didn't go to Army Welfare, they'd have helped her. I wasn't surprised at the extent of it all. Too many needy people are getting hammered along with the cheats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy1954 View Post
    I watched the programme. We're on disability benefits and my military pension, we've not been far off what they showed many a time. We don't smoke or drink - even if we wanted to we're both on too much medication.
    Last Autumn, after the government changed, they threw out my wife's claim for Carer's allowance purely as there was no money to pay for it, and in doing so called my GP a liar (he wasn't best pleased). Then Dss opened a 5yr old query and knocked us down to £45 weekly to live. Even they said we couldn't eat and pay our bills. Now I have a long form to fill in to justify why I'm not employed - I'm 58 on a couple of months, can't walk well or far, crap short term memory, drop any small items, ie car keys etc and need the toilet a lot. Yep, no reason I can't be snapped up.
    I was surprised the lady on cereal (hubby was in military basic training) didn't go to Army Welfare, they'd have helped her. I wasn't surprised at the extent of it all. Too many needy people are getting hammered along with the cheats.

that basicly sums it up in a nutshell, the layabouts get it handed to them without quiery or fuss and the most needy who depend on some help get struck of with no form or reply or appeal. baffles me tbh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The system needs changed by the Government , to stop benefits being mis-spent on fags and alcohol etc .

and a clearer way of picking the genuine needy people out , is needed .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't see the program, but have very strong feelings about the government the system and the fact that today I sat and overheard a group of foreign immigrants discuss the fact that the get free housing free medical benefit's and payments that they said came to £940.00 per week clear!!!!

I have not managed to earn that amount in a month over the past wee while.

That to me is disgusting in many ways as charity ought to begin at home. Even though I don't have much I would gladly share it, I would not share the knowledge of how to scam the benefits agency

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw it, and it's appalling that Great Britain, the 6th richest country in the world has citizens that *genuinely* can't afford to eat properly.
    I don't care what shade of government is in power it's just plain wrong!

We can afford foreign wars, Billions on Olympics, massive foreign aid programs and we can't afford to feed our own people? I'm sorry but capitalism as it stands is flawed, the rich are getting even richer and the rest of us are being screwed. I don't know what the answer is, but what we've got right now isn't working so well...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Mc View Post
    I didn't see the program, but have very strong feelings about the government the system and the fact that today I sat and overheard a group of foreign immigrants discuss the fact that the get free housing free medical benefit's and payments that they said came to £940.00 per week clear!!!!

I have not managed to earn that amount in a month over the past wee while.

That to me is disgusting in many ways as charity ought to begin at home. Even though I don't have much I would gladly share it, I would not share the knowledge of how to scam the benefits agency
    don"t get me started on this subject.
    on another note as its officaly the end of the british so called summer. winter will not be long till its here, the poor pensioners who have a choice food or heat.????
    then u have johnny foreigner who arrives as an illegal from timbuck too and is intitled to more than our own pensioners, makes me sick, the whole picture needs looked at and something done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm very sceptical about what is presented on tabloid tv programmes such as this, as sometimes the subjects whinge about their situation with a fag in their hand; who knows what other luxuries are actually included in their spending.

the immigrants on welfare certainly are a problem in some cases, but they account for a very small minority of the huge welfare problem overall. far more importantly, consider the "giro generation" of today -- the lazy UK white nationals who never have any intention of working and think they are owed an easy life on welfare. they spout crap such as "i'm better off on benefits than the low paid job i could get" -- that is pure bull**** -- they should be forced to take whatever job is available even if they receive less money for doing so.
    ^they are the pandemic leeches of society and it is unacceptable that our taxes are wasted on that slovenly way of life.

absolutely not saying that everyone on benefits is a sponger by the way -- many are responsible and trustworthy with their spending, and of course those in need (disabled etc) can not help their situation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information