Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Swirl Rail Modification......

IMG_0516[1].jpg

If anyone is having recuring problems with the rail coming off but cant afford the expense of a new inlet manifold, the guy who supplied my car fitted this mod as the manifold was in good nick and didnt justify the expense. Its worked a treat and the car runs like new with it fitted.
    Only maintenance required is to check the little jockey wheel that presses onto the rail is properly lubricated - I've done 2k miles with this on now and its stayed exactly where it should.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 1.9 cdti SRI & 2.6 Vec B & Mk1 Fiesta XR2

Trim : 2 batteries. 2k RMS. 2x 15 SPL's

Engine : CDTI 200 16V

Not a bad idea. Had a flat bar on my old one stopping it popping up but the addition of the wheel is nice. Might work better if he can split it into a v shape pointing down and have a wheel on each end.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

nice idea, is it just a strip of metal with some sort of wheel pushing down on the rail? Only thing which springs to mind is, is there a risk that this could cause damage to the motor controlling the pots....I understand that when the other pots seize up the bar pops off, but the motorised pot keeps operating. If the bar cant come off will the motor not burn out and potentially make the situation worse?? Just a thought as no expert. However on my car the bar is off and I have glued the pots open, but the motor doesnt work properly on number 3, but it doesnt seem to throw up any faults.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 1.9 cdti SRI & 2.6 Vec B & Mk1 Fiesta XR2

Trim : 2 batteries. 2k RMS. 2x 15 SPL's

Engine : CDTI 200 16V

Quote Originally Posted by sri150 View Post
    nice idea, is it just a strip of metal with some sort of wheel pushing down on the rail? Only thing which springs to mind is, is there a risk that this could cause damage to the motor controlling the pots....I understand that when the other pots seize up the bar pops off, but the motorised pot keeps operating. If the bar cant come off will the motor not burn out and potentially make the situation worse?? Just a thought as no expert. However on my car the bar is off and I have glued the pots open, but the motor doesnt work properly on number 3, but it doesnt seem to throw up any faults.
    The issue with the bar falling off is not to do with seizing pots but the rubber connectors wearing out and it falling off. On mine the pots where totally free but the bar had fell off due to the rubber bits enlarging after use. If you have glued yours on then how do the pots move within the mounts on the bar. Gluing them in is totally wrong as each pot needs to do a 180 in each mount point so if yours glued it wont move. Take it off and replace the rubber. glue on small square of rubber on each then drill a 3mm hole in em and puch back on. New rubber should grip for a while.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin2.6 View Post
    The issue with the bar falling off is not to do with seizing pots but the rubber connectors wearing out and it falling off. On mine the pots where totally free but the bar had fell off due to the rubber bits enlarging after use. If you have glued yours on then how do the pots move within the mounts on the bar. Gluing them in is totally wrong as each pot needs to do a 180 in each mount point so if yours glued it wont move. Take it off and replace the rubber. glue on small square of rubber on each then drill a 3mm hole in em and puch back on. New rubber should grip for a while.
    no when I said I glued the pots I meant my bar has fallen off so I have completely removed this and glued the flaps in the open position, so now only the motorised flap moves (although it now doesnt move properly). When my bar fell off originally many years ago I did the how 2 on here and glued rubber washers on the worn nipples, but actually after time some of the flaps began to stiffen and the bar fell off (even though the washers were still tight). I believe it can fall off mainly due to worn nipples/rubber bits but also if the non motorised flaps seize then the motor doesnt have enough power to free them all, hence the bar falls off.

Thread Information