Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Potential swirl problem

Hi all,

Ive been having problems with my Vectra 1.9 cdti 150.

I posted on the vvoc forums but was advised to come here. I've done so much reading up on the problem and I just can't seem to get anywhere. Here is the jist of what I have done..
    I have a Vectra c 1.9 150 pre-facelift. I only bought the car a few weeks ago but after a long drive to Scotland I noticed a few flat spots. I have taken the engine cover off and looked in the inlet manifold area and it seems the rail that connects the swirl valve/flaps has come loose (I can move it around freely with a long screwdriver).
    Am I causing any long term damage to the car driving it in this state? It boosts fine, pulls well and the flat spot is only noticeable if you tootle along, it happens at around 1900rpm.
    An update to this - I got my OPCOM working and checked, there were a few faults to do with the display and a high voltage to the drivers door, I cleared them, drove down the road and its now in limp mode. Rescanned and opcom is showing no faults
    Quick update:

I took my EGR off and gave it a big clean with carb cleaner and also the part on the inlet manifold that was caked in carbon. Also gave a quick spray down my air pipe. Put it back together and started it up n it was horrible - cut out after 20 secs.

I used my opcom and found faults for maf, EGR etc.. I then realised I forgot to plug the sensors in. Plugged them in, cleared the faults and it was giving me more trouble with error p0090-5b. As the car was parked facing uphill the small amount of fuel I left in there before limp mode wasn't enough, or so I thought. Off to the petrol station with a jerry can and put some more fuel in. It now started up, BUT it was really lumpy and smelly, sounded terrible and was shaking the car. Only way I can describe it is like a loud knocking and the shaking is similar to that of if you had your bottom engine mount off and the engine wobbles.

I'm now at a loss as I don't want to damage the engine but there aren't any faults in opcom.

I think I have been done over when I bought the car this is going to end up costing money I can't afford

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Sorry for the wall of text. I appreciate any help as I am quite worried now as I can't afford another car or hefty garage bill

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Firstly, have you reconnected the Swirl rail or is it still hangin lose on top of the manifold??

Also, you have mentioned Carb cleaner when you clened your EGR..... did you spray any inside the inlet manifold at all?? If so, how much, where and did you make any attempt at cleaning it out??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi mate,

Thanks for your reply.

The swirl rail was still hanging. Since then I have now removed that. I have checked the swirls and they all have plenty of movement (bar 3).

I unplugged my EGR and started up, it seemed a little better, still lumpy and harsh, but it eased a little.

As regards the carb cleaner, I sprayed it in my EGR when it was off the car, and sprayed some inside the inlet where the EGR connects whilst trying to clean with a toolbrush and rag. Some may have gone into the inlet.

Have I done wrong?

I have put a video on Youtube showing what happens now when I start up. Hopefully you can hear the knocking sort of sound.

http://youtu.be/Qdq06WRUYW4

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Swirl 3 is the one with the actuator (motor) attached so it will not move as easily with manual pressure. Make sure all the others move easily - use a very small squirt of WD40 around the top of each and press gently on them to move them until they move freely.

Is the EGR moving freely once you cleaned it?? Its possible its still sticking a bit - I had to take mine off again as it was still sticking slightly.

The lumpy running is possibly either the carb cleaner burning off or the cack being blasted through the engine - is it smoking badly when you drive it?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi mate,

Again, thanks for your reply.

I haven't drove it more than 6 foot as it won't go past 2k RPM and it doesn't feel like I could take it out of first.

I am quite happy just to sit there and hold it at like 1500RPM for a minute to see if it just needs burning through.

Oh, I kinda forgot to mention this..

I don't normally let my tanks run dry, but I only had 20 miles left when I got home the other day, parked the car facing uphil. Went back to it.. Limp mode, so couldn't get to a petrol station.

Never thought nothing of it, then when I did my fault test I got one about the fuel pressure rail, I thought, GREAT. Then I thought it is quite likely no fuel is getting thru, so I went to BP, filled a jerrycan and it ticked over.

Just thought I'd mention than.

Thanks again.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

unplug the egr, clean the area around the swirl tops, point the swirl tops into the 10 oclock position & glue them in that position (evo stick liquid metal is good to use)...
    the swirl operation is purely there for a cleaner burn with the egr in operation at low revs.

search the forum, many of us have done this with good results

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers dude.

I've got numerous other threads about the same thing bookmarked. I think it was just the lumpyness.

A friend (Mechanic) has been to have a look and he said gluing the flaps open would be a good idea for now.

Again, thankyou for your help, much appreciated

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quick update - I have now glued the swirls.. I will update tomorrow when I try the car.

Fingers crossed

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Lito View Post
    Quick update - I have now glued the swirls.. I will update tomorrow when I try the car.

Fingers crossed
    No going back on that decision..... ;-)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well I only had chance for about 20 minutes this morning so I tried it, certainly feels better but still feels clogged so it needs longer to clear the crap out I think/hope.

I should have longer to try it when I get home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information