User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Weekend of detailing with product reviews (long)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Weekend of detailing with product reviews (long)

Since I had the weekend off I decided I would play with a new toy and some new gear I got a while ago. This includes wash, clay bar, polish & wax amongst other things. These are the products I am using;

Halfords orbital buffer
    I have seen posts on here have saying it won't even remove swirls but they are wrong. Removed everything but deep scratches! No swirl marks seen since using it although some scratches and heavy swirls needed extra passes. 1st time using one and although it vibrates a bit it's light enough to use one handed and was really impressed with the job.

AG pressure washer shampoo
    Normally use the karcher one but since this was on offer in halfrauds I decided to give it a go and it was very good. Foamed good and car was quite shiny afterwards. The only downside is its a big 5L bottle and the tiny pipe on the karcher was miles to short. Used some aquarium piping to extend and it now works much better.

Maguiars clay bar kit
    for me made the biggest visible difference of any stage of the entire process. The kit now comes with 160g (2x80g) of clay and I only used half of one bar although half of the quick detailer bottle. Also doing the windscreen stopped my wipers juddering!

AG super resin polish
    this has been improved so it leaves barely any chalky residue and it's true! I had more residue from the wax! Although I wasn't sure if it looked as nice afterwards as the old version I imagine after claying the difference wouldn't have been as noticeable as usual. It removed all swirl marks etc so definatly can't complain.

Mags nxt tech wax 2.0
    cant really say I noticed much difference if any after doing this. It went on easy enough but I hope it will keep beading and repelling water etc so will see.

AG tyre dressing
    looks nice not as shiny as some but i don't really like the boot polish look anyway.

AG fast glass
    Normally use rain-x but this cleans glass much better. Can't tell you anything about its rain repelling but glass is crystal clear. Great buy!

other things used and would recommend that didn't really stand out (all autoglym)
    Clean wheels, leather cleaner, interior shampoo and intensive tar remover.

In total took 1 1/2 days so not much of a weekend off really. I will add some photos when I can get round to doing it on computer. I am very pleased with the results and some really big surprises with how well some of this kit performed!! Hope I haven't bored anyone to death haha

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Good job by the sounds of it mate. The Megs NXT Gen Tech 2 wax is an AIO similar to SRP so will have removed the SRP. The Tech 2 Wax is an okay product, however you won't see much durability from it. Maybe a month tops.

If you use SRP then EGP or HD wax is a better LSP and shall provide much more durability. Think 3-6 months.

If you use Megs NXT Gen Tech Wax 2 then top with Megs #16 or #26 Yellow Paste Wax for 3-6 months durability.

Sounds like you did a through job on it bud. Always rewarding when you finish.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the info and good to know I wasted a few hours haha was going to go for the hd wax but was £45 in halfrauds so went for megs. I will invest in the hd wax from eBay when I have run through this one.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I did the exact same thing mate. Used Tech Wax 2 over SRP and wondered why my polishing pad was still red whilst using what I thought was a wax. Descriptions can be deceiving lol. I then read up on it and realised Tech 2 Wax had a similar mild cut (think 1 out of 10) to SRP!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You may find that the halfords polisher appears to of done the trick due to the fact you used SRP and NXT as both products will fill swirls, but only time will tell as the fillers wear off and wash away. What pad did you use on it?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Possibly But it only cost £35 and for the finish it produced, removing swirls or just filling them and compared to doing the whole "tank" by hand it performed well above my expectations. It was the standard polishing and buffing pads u get from there (not the ones with it to buy separately)

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Year : 06

As above will of only of filled in the swirls ya can do it very easy by hand. For 35 pound tho ya can get a nice da polisher for 89 I know it's a price gap but man do they work example what I did with mine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information