User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: emissions warning light on constantly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : VXR

Engine : 2.8i V6 Turbo Z28NET

Year : 2007

Mileage : 42200

Default emissions warning light on constantly.

Hi people. I hope I have posted this in the correct thread section, if not then I apologise!!

I have got a 2006 Vectra SRi 2.2direct petrol.
    On my last few journeys in the car the emissions light (the engine light in bottom right hand corner, NOT the car with spanner light) has been on with engine running. I have been speaking to some guys from work and they reckon it is because I have used different fuels. I normally use Shell FuelSave but 2 weeks ago I put some Tesco fuel in as that was cheaper. This emission light has been on since the day after I put the Tesco petrol in. People have told me I have put ''dirty'' fuel in.

I presume they mean crap from the bottom of the tank has got into my car?? Either way I have not managed to get this light to go out and it stays on with engine running. Today when starting the car, the car/spanner light flashed 3 times then the engine cut out. I started it again a few minutes after and the car/spanner light did not show again.

Any ideas what is causing the emissions light to stay on??? I must also mention that there is a horrible smell from exhaust, almost like a stink bomb!!

Any info much appreciated as normal!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c

Trim : ls

Engine : 1800 non vvt

Year : 2004

Mileage : 167340

you really need to get the codes read first

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Casper85 View Post
    Any ideas what is causing the emissions light to stay on??? I must also mention that there is a horrible smell from exhaust, almost like a stink bomb!
    Normally the Emissions Warning light suggests the EGR Valve has failed
    However as you have noticed a smell of Hydrogen Sulphide (rotten eggs) this suggests the Lambda Sensor is reporting the Catalytic Convertor has failed or the baffles within the exhaust have failed (usually in the centre section) and clogged the exhaust system

Equally, if the Emissions Warning Light is flashing, you should NOT drive the car and switch the engine off

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the info.

I am aware about not driving with flashing emissions light. The car is having diagostics check on Monday morning at my local garage so will post any findings. I need to use the car on Saturday but apart from that it will be parked up. Hopefully nothing serious!!

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    Normally the Emissions Warning light suggests the EGR Valve has failed
    However as you have noticed a smell of Hydrogen Sulphide (rotten eggs) this suggests the Lambda Sensor is reporting the Catalytic Convertor has failed or the baffles within the exhaust have failed (usually in the centre section) and clogged the exhaust system

Equally, if the Emissions Warning Light is flashing, you should NOT drive the car and switch the engine off

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

don't know if it is linked but the light went out today with engine running temp at 85. But when stationary temp went up to 93 and light came back on. Cooling fan kicked in at 93 also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Emissions warning light can come on for dozens of reasons. A failing cam angle sensor for example will put it on. Basically anything that means the engine management can still run the engine, but it might not be able to run it properly without risking exceeding the emissions limits. If it's flashing then it means a more serious fault that could damage the catalytic converter, and you should as said above stop driving as soon as it's safe to do so (ie pull off the road and call the AA/RAC).

You need to read the fault codes to find out what's wrong, otherwise the fault could possibly lead to damage.

Thread Information