Thread: fobbed off

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default fobbed off

Long story attempted to make short about Vectra CDTi 3 button key fob.

• Main key fob open button damaged and stopped working, soldered on switch from spare fob (in worse state with only one switch clicking).
    • Worked perfectly for a few weeks then when locking the car both front windows would sometimes open.
    • Tried to see if some fault with fob circuit board and ended up damaging previously soldered open switch so sent to Jesel Motors (recomended on here) for refurb.
    • Recorded delivery parcel burst open and only empty package delivered (refunded promptly and good help from Jesel though no hope of finding fob).
    • Send for new switches and fob case on ebay and had local code people (should have used first) refurb scabby spare key.
    • Worked intermittently, sometimes prefect for a day or 2 then no function at all. Always seemed to be transmitting using test sensor but car not always receiving.
    • Bought 2nd hand fob on ebay for £8.
    • Local people recovered security key code for me (never had it) but unable to programme in new fob and discovered a fault in module (environment not recognised?)
    • Advised I could order a new replacement 3 button fob (£85 inc. programming) and it might programme in first time and all work well – possibility it won’t programme in and they have to clear module and ecu down. Not guaranteed they can reset and start from scratch without fault recurring then car effectively immobilised and need to get a new ‘sim’ board? £100 2nd hand?
    • So I have 2 original key blades, one original fob, one 2nd hand replacement and the joy of tripping the alarm every time till I get the key in the ignition. Car always starts so no problem with chip I presume.

Hope some of this makes sense, my terminology is probably wrong so any corrections welcome. I’ve read most of the posts on here about fobs, re-synching etc. Originally spoke to Vauxhall main dealer but they are notoriously bad and the buck passing and confusing between their parts and service department installed no faith at all.

I suppose my questions are: FOB1.jpg

1. From the photos attached including numbers can you tell if the 2nd hand fob I bought should have been able to be programmed into my car? (It was transmitting fine - I knocked one of the switches off when disecting it)
    2. The original spare key that had new switches soldered on had the part noted fall off. I don’t know if this was loose and may have been causing the intermittent communication problem – anyway I cleverly dropped and lost it and now the intermittent success of about 50% has gone down to about 1% though it seems odd it should ever work if this is a crucial part. The part noted is actually off the ebay key which I removed after removing the battery holder to see if it’s interchangeable.
    3. Any experience of clearing the module / ecu with this ‘environment not recognised fault’ and is it likely to succeed or leave my car garaged until a new ‘sim’ board can be installed - or worse?
    4. Can the alarm be adjusted not to go off every time I open with the key as I could probably live with that and not have remote central locking?

Moral of the tale – use special delivery not recorded. Currently going through compensation process to see if they’ll up their offer from a book of stamps.

Hampshire (Near Havant) . .Drives: Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

Year : 2005

You cant program second hand fobs.

You need new virgin fobs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks Lee, that's possibly reassuring. Local code people said they can get a new replacement 3 button fob that will fit my existing key blade but main vauxhall dealer (Arnold Clark) said they can only get the new flip type key. Now I have the key code I'm considering just paying the dealer for a complete new flip key but as I said I don't have a lot of faith in them if module fault an issue and unsure if my old key will still be useable as a spare - even just to drive without remote locking function?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

Quote Originally Posted by lee gsi View Post
    You cant program second hand fobs.

You need new virgin fobs.
    That's what I was led to believe. But read a postr on here last night where someone said they managed it. Unless I read the post incorrectly. I'll see if I can find it.

Hampshire (Near Havant) . .Drives: Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

Year : 2005

This is what I bought and used a program like Tech2 to program it: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-OPEL-V...item3f167b8d07

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9 cdti 150

Year : 2007

Mileage : 145k

recently bought a new 3 button flip key from the dealers for my C , pre - cut & ready to program , 50 quid + vat .
    programmed it myself with my laptop & diagnostic software .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the replies. My concern is still the 'environment not recognised' fault with the CIM module preventing a brand new key from being programmed?
    Apparently the CIM could then be cleared down and reprogrammed but the fault may reappear, and with no fob then working the CIM would need to be replaced. Also investigating a slow coolant leak just now so money a concern, particularly as EGR, Throttle body control, timing belt and water pump all done in the last 3 months.

If anyone has an idea what the part fallen off the circuit board is and if repair is still an option this would be my preferred choice. Up to about 5% of button clicks working now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Following advice above and from local coding and locksmith people I’ve no definitive answer if I can order a brand new key fob or if this ‘environment not found’ cim module error means it won’t programme in and clearing it down is likely to result in the error recurring and my sole existing fob no longer being programmed in so needing a replacement cim module.

Various key fob quotes of £100+ as I don’t have the car pass, only the immobiliser code, and again £100+ for a 2nd hand cim module. Looks like I might have to go for this though I can’t afford the cash or having my car off the road just now so as a last resort... is it possible to permanently switch off the alarm other than with the hokey-cokey window and door lock method? Looked at all the posts on here (great for estates) and it appears I can’t disconnect door or motion sensors. Some suggested pulling fuses – tried this using the manual to find those related to door modules or alarm but it made no difference other than bringing the car horn in to test my sanity. Can the alarm be stood down by a coding person, I know about the insurance implication and I’m guessing as it’s a security issue there may be information people don’t want to post on a public forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

New key from ebay link above arrived today and programmed in 1st time. The joy of being back to square one. Seems it wasn’t the reported cim fault but the 2nd hand fob that wouldn’t programme in. Don’t know why my original attempt of spare fob with new switches only worked intermittently despite it was always sending according to the radio frequency tester. A couple of tips for people lacking in common sense like myself.
    If you’re sending a fob for repair use special delivery to the value of a replacement including programming £80 - £120 - not recorded delivery.
    Don’t skimp on the packaging.
    Cheers all for the advice.
    Paul.

Thread Information