StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Window tinting problem

Hi all

So I recently got my rear door windows and hatch glass tinted at a local tinting place, having had the chance to look at it yesterday after a thorough cleaning there are a few imperfections on the hatch tint. It looks like there is some dirt trapped between the film and the glass. I understand there can always be a bit of dust around but one in particular is very noticeable and in the centre of the window.

I am considering taking it back and requesting they do the hatch glass again, however I am concerned that removing the film may damage the heated rear window elements - does anyone have any experience with this?

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just take it back get them to do it again applying heat / steam will remove tiny easily enough

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nightmare... so I got the tint replaced as the original job was pretty bad, just got it home and had a close look and as I feared it looks like the heated rear window has been damaged Absolutely gutted as this could be a nightmare to sort.

Some of the orange 'paint' has been removed with the old tint and it has left what look like dark patches or gaps when viewed from outside the car. However, when looking at the window from inside there is still what looks like an element in the glass running through the places where the paint has come away.

Is it possible that the window will still work or does the missing paint mean it's ruined?!

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It could still work. If not you can get conductive paint to fix it. You'd have to remove the tint again though

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Barlow View Post
    It could still work. If not you can get conductive paint to fix it. You'd have to remove the tint again though
    Yeah that's my fear, if they have to take the tint off then further damage could occur to the elements... if it's broken completely then the only thing would be a replacement rear glass, but I can imagine it will be a nightmare getting them to agree to that.

If there are gaps in the orange 'paint' would the element still work apart from those areas or would the connection be broken so the whole thing would be dead?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Yeah that's my fear, if they have to take the tint off then further damage could occur to the elements... if it's broken completely then the only thing would be a replacement rear glass, but I can imagine it will be a nightmare getting them to agree to that.

If there are gaps in the orange 'paint' would the element still work apart from those areas or would the connection be broken so the whole thing would be dead?
    I've seen elements still work even when they're in a right old state.
    Two ways to tell. Steam the window up with a steamer
    Use a multimeter to check the circuit is working.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going thru the same thing at the moment chap when they did it the 1st time there was a hole in the tint so they did it again and managed to damage the elements at the same time. I stuck a bucket of steaming hot water into the boot to see if the elements still worked sadly they didn't so the company are putting in a new rear screen as well as tinting it
    VXR IS FOR LIFE NOT JUST FOR THRILLS !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvectra View Post
    I'm going thru the same thing at the moment chap when they did it the 1st time there was a hole in the tint so they did it again and managed to damage the elements at the same time. I stuck a bucket of steaming hot water into the boot to see if the elements still worked sadly they didn't so the company are putting in a new rear screen as well as tinting it
    Did you have to push them for a new glass or did they volunteer? I get the feeling the place I used (although it's a well established place) would be resistant to it.

Thing is, even if the elements partly work it's still not acceptable I guess - they look damaged so I think I shouldn't tolerate it. The initial issue with the tint was down to them but I can see a fight coming to get a resolution. Whole thing is a bit of a nightmare really just for a bit of tint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had mine done 3 weeks ago and there's a few bubbles in mine im not happy with, gonna wait till olympics has finished then take it back as its in Ilford and A13 ment to be a nightmare at present , hope you get it sorted out m8 hopefully they will get you a new rear window

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphwells1967 View Post
    I had mine done 3 weeks ago and there's a few bubbles in mine im not happy with, gonna wait till olympics has finished then take it back as its in Ilford and A13 ment to be a nightmare at present , hope you get it sorted out m8 hopefully they will get you a new rear window
    Thanks, I really hope so - worried about it all now!

Even if the defroster works I'm not going to accept the damage. If they refuse though it will be a nightmare - I will have to go through the small claims court but no guarantee there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information