Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra sri

Engine : 2.2 direct

Year : 54

Mileage : 48000

Default Have I made the right choice

Hi I'm now starting to wonder if I have made the right choice in purchashing my 54 plate Sri 2.2 direct I have been reading a lot of posts on here and everything i
    am reading is telling me it's prone to problems is this the case ??? Or is it just bad luck ??? Any help would be appreaciated

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have a 2.2 direct as well. I think it is like any car, or even a domestic appliance for example. People normally complain or ask for help if there is a problem, so I'm guessing you only really hear about any problems. People don't tend to come onto forums (or watchdog!) to sing their car's praises on the whole. Yes I understand the 2.2 has issues with the fuel pump or regulator but then so there are various issues that the CDTI's and so on suffer from. I just enjoy mine and try not to let the nagging thoughts bother me. There must be lots of reliable 2.2 directs about that you never hear about simply because they never have the associated problems. Hope this helps a bit .
    Last edited by ijk571; 28th July 2012 at 22:35. Reason: can't spell this evening.....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Saab 9-3 Aero

Trim : Aero

Engine : 2.8 Turbo V6

Year : 2006

Mileage : 62000

As above buddy...

I also have the 2.2 direct....I think its a great strong engine tbh, yes ive had the FPR and HPFP replaced at a cost of £312 (free FPR under recall and HPFP at trade club price)....Only other common fault is the chain tensioner and about £450 to have that done with new chains and revised tensioner but this fault is hit n miss. Best way to tell is if you have a rattle from the left hand side of the engine, more noticed on startup.

If you want to make yourself feel better look at the common faults on the 1.9cdti 150 and the costs lol. Just a bit of advise for you, the 2.2 loves an oil change I do mine every 3/4 months so 3-4000 miles should live forever now lol........fingers crossed.

But yeah i think its a great engine and 18 months ago when I found this site after buying mine I felt the same way you did writing this thread lol.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think the thing that you must remember is that anyone with any engine that goes wrong is quite likely to shout and scream about it on a forum. If it just sits there and works they probably won't say anything.
    It's a perfectly normal human response.

I've just bought a 2004 Signum. Not 2.2, not petrol, but a 3.0 Diesel automatic. But I've got exactly the same feelings of aprehension and doubt that you have. It seems a decent motor and I've absolutely no reason to think otherwise, but I can't help reading the horror stories and thinking oh **** what have I bought? But I love driving it and I'm not going to let it get in the way of that. Relax and enjoy what you've bought. Just make sure it's serviced regularly and there's no reason to think it shouldn't go on for ages yet!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When you consider the sheer mass numbers originally sold, there are going to be more negative posts regarding reliability. I think i read somewhere only about 1% develop a serious fault in the first 100k miles yet 90% of comments found on the internet reviews are people affected by these small number of faults. If vauxhall only sold 100 cars, there would only be 1 complaints, as they sell 100,000s there are a few thousand complaints, which reflects why so many negative remarks are available online
    This report i read wasnt regarding the vectra, or even a vauxhall for that matter, cant remember which car it was now though.

Thread Information