Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Today I have mostly been......

.....cleaning cars!!

Following on from this thread, I gave mine another quick going over today - I know, I just can't help myself!

When I did the main job the other day, my eldest brother (who's down from Scotland at the moment) joked about me doing his car for him as it was minging. I said I'd do him a deal, help me with my car to do it quicker and I'd help him with his car using all my products. He agreed and helped me, therefore I had to return the favour of helping him clean his Ford Focus! I know, I know! - I'll burn in hell for this!!!

Went to start it off today and gave it a pressure wash down to shift all the stuck on salt and grime, and then the usual two bucket wash with mitt. I was going to give it a going over with the Megs Paint Cleaner and I soon saw that the paint surface, particularly the bonnet and roof, was really rough and in dire need of a claying. So, after a search for a Halfords that had one in stock, and a couple of other stops on the way, got back with the clay and managed to give it an overall clay - finishing as it got dark.

My brother couldn't believe the difference in the feel of the paint. As I was doing the roof (the worst panel) he could hear the 'scraping' noise as the clay was smoothing off all the crud.

So, just the Paint Cleaner, polish, #21 and wax and it'll be done! Guess what I'll be doing Christmas morning before dinner!! He goes back on Boxing Day so I need to finish it tomorrow. I have to do some driving in the afternoon so all I'd be doing is sat around waiting for dinner - can't even start to get piddled until the afternoon after I've done the driving bit! - so may as well get it finished then. Brotherly love and all that!!

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

And the Pics?

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You want me to post pics of a Fraud on the forum?!!!

It's not finished yet, only had a clay so far.

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I hadnt realised that you had been "converted" to the full detail route!! I've recently converted a colleauge who has a mundano and hes well chuffed with the results! - plus what better way to spend crimbo than messing with cars?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I hadnt realised that you had been "converted" to the full detail route!!
    Yes indeed! Started off with the AG Valet bag thing last year and added a few Megs things to it earlier this year (microfibre cloths, applicator pads, water magnets, a few Megs products) including doing my first clay. After talking with Bryan, I then gave the #21 and 476s a shot (as per that other thread) and was impressed. I'm sure I'll have a dabble with some other stuff next year!

Whilst my brother was well impressed with the results on my car, and the results on his so far with the claying, I'm not sure if I'll convert him to spend as much time as I do on cleaning, - but I think I might at least keep him away from car washes and get a mitt and a few decent products!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    .... - plus what better way to spend crimbo than messing with cars?
    Indeed!

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    You want me to post pics of a Fraud on the forum?!!!

It's not finished yet, only had a clay so far.

D
    I thought pics was the law ,this i detailing forum so we would be interested if you can bring a fraud in to the real world know you limited on what you working with (lol) .
    Never know your results might be impressive am sure you will get so coments on your work lol....
    P.s happy xmas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Good to see it worked well for you Duncan.

Keeping the Collinite is a warm place before use makes it so much easier to apply!

Makes the regular washing so much easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Brocks View Post
    And the Pics?
    OK, but don't lynch me for posting pics of a Fraud up!!

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I managed to get the clay done the other day - so I was out on Christmas morning to finish it off. Brother was driving back on Boxing Day and him (and his wife) and my folks had gone off to church in the morning so I didn't even have any presents to fiddle around with either!!

The neighbours must have thought I was bonkers detailing a car on Christmas morning, especially after seeing me working on it the day before as well!

So, his car got treated to the full works.....
    • Megs Paint Cleaner - even after having had a clay, you could see the paint brighten up as this lifted the fine film of grime that was there.
    • Megs Deep Crystal polish
    • Megs #21 - as I saw on mine, this really added a sparkle and gave an enough smoother finish to the paint.
    • Collinite 476s wax - lovely wax to give it that winter protection.
      Quote Originally Posted by elitecarcare View Post
      Keeping the Collinite is a warm place before use makes it so much easier to apply!
      Absolutely. I kept it in the airing cupboard etc. overnight before using it and it softens it up nicely. It went on really smoothly without having to rub hard to work it in.
    That was it, and that kept me busy up until Christmas Dinner was ready!

A few piccies. It was a grey day so the car doesn't zing like it would on a sunny day, but hopefully you can see the finish. Would've taken a before pic to show what the surface was like beforehand!

The obligatory reflection shot!

So, one very happy brother off back to Scotland today with a car that will see him through winter with minimal cleaning required. I'm going to give him a shopping list of a few fundamental items to have/use to keep it looking tip-top.

Forgive me for posting up pics of a Fraud , but if it's any consolation they did have an Astra F until a couple of weeks ago - until a deer decided to run out right in front of them and write it off for them!!

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes its a slippery slope i started off the same thinking my car was clean after it had been washed and had a coat of srp, then i found egp then it was megs and poorboys and have just ordered a pc from autopia. This is getting expensive!! The slippery slope begins here at www.detailingworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi Duncan.......well after all the whoing and haing you actually seem to have enjoyed it......I knew you would

And that's a cracking job you've done aswell.......the reflection shot is up there with the best especially when taking account of the fact it's a silver car which are particularly hard to get good pics of

The next time it might be worth trying "spit polishing" also known as "spit shining" that involves the following: -

Apply wax to panel 1 and spray a very light mist of chilled detailing spray (Megs Last Touch) or chilled water same to panels 2 then 3 then 4.

Return to 1st panel and apply a secnd coat of wax.

Apply a second coat of wax to panel 2.

Return to panel 1 and buff up.

Apply a second coat of wax to panel 3.

and so on......this a quicker way of applying 2 coats of wax without the need to wait 24hours.

Bryan

Thread Information