Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Signum

Trim : Elegance

Engine : 1.9 CDTi 120PS

Year : 06

Mileage : 115000

Red face Replaced front offside wheel bearing, but ABS connector does not fit

Hi all. Following the fitting of four new tyres (and only weeks after full laser alignment) I found I still had the following symptoms on my car:

• Steering wheel wobble/judder at 60mph and above
    • Pulling to the right
    • Droning noise driving round left-hand bends in the road (not cornering at low speed)

After reading a number of posts on this frankly fantastic forum, I opted to replace the front offside wheel bearing. After SIX HOURS sat on the pavement outside the house today (OK so I take things slowly) I finally got the new one fitted. I took it for a test drive and to my relief the juddering has stopped, the car sits in a straight line, and there is no droning or vibration when driving round left- or right-hand bends.

Only problem is, the wheel bearing kit I got from Euro Car Parts seems to have a different ABS sensor connector to the one I took off the car. The electrical contacts in the original sensor are two very small bore metal tubes which fit over pins in the car's connector. The ABS sensor on the new wheel bearing has two flat metal contacts.

I found a thread regarding a similar issue, but my car does not have a sport button (that is, no IDS) and unlike in that thread there is no way at all that the ABS sensor connector on the new wheel bearing would fit in the car's connector.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

I've not yet tried to connect (using crocodile clips) the pins of the new connector to the car, just in case it breaks anything. What if I completely disassembled the swivel hub again and attempted to replace the new ABS sensor with the original one? Is that likely to work?

Thanks for your time! (And sorry for the long post - I'm just posting as much info as possible should anyone else have similar symptoms to mine.)

Chris

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 150

Year : 05

Mileage : 74000

you need the wheel bearing for IDS+ cars even though u dont have it, they changed the design around 2005'ish and all cars since require the type for IDS+
    Plasma's Tech2 services are now partially open and able to provide services

Come Join our new forum Insignia Owners.com for all your Insignia chat and needs

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Mk1 renault scenic... I know I know but it drives

Trim : Basic

Engine : 1.6 16v

Year : 2003

First I'd try contacting Ecp incase they can supply you with the correct one.

If not it connect a multimeter on voltage ac an spin the wheel to confirm sensor reads ok.

I would then carefully dismantle the plug from old sensor and new sensor an swap the wires over.

As I think dismantling the swivel an replacing the actual sensor would be more hassle as you would need to find out what the correct air gap etc is

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks guys

you need the wheel bearing for IDS+ cars even though u dont have it, they changed the design around 2005'ish and all cars since require the type for IDS+
    I don't see how you're supposed to know these sort of things before ordering! Being a bit of a novice with all this, I never even considered that the connector might be different!

I would then carefully dismantle the plug from old sensor and new sensor an swap the wires over.

I tried spinning the wheel earlier with a multimeter displaying DC voltage and DC current, but I didn't think to try AC. I will try the multimeter again and if I get a reading, I'll see whether the ABS light comes on when the sensor is connected via crocodile clips.

Chris

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Tried the multimeter again and found that it automatically detected AC or DC, and it still didn't register anything.

But I connected the pins of the ABS sensor to the pins on the car's connector using crocodile clips and upon starting the engine the ABS light went out as normal. So it seems I just need to chop off the new connector and refit the old one.

Thanks both for your input!

Thread Information