Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused Faulty Temp Gauge??

Hi
    Just got a 52 plate 3.2 GSI in red. It is on the whole a fantastic car. Have already done away with the Phillps car set that came with it and fitted my Blaupunkt head unit with built in Sat Nav. What a difference that makes as it improves the sound quality by loads.
    Got a few probs though. After reading the various posts on the forum i have the creaky C pillar at the rear, which i plan to have a go at fixing myself, and until then will turn the stereo up!!! Also my temp guage appears to be acting very strangely. It does not move from the cold position at all until you have been driving for around 1/2 an hour. It will then go up and down of its own accord, but never going over the middle position. The heaters get hot and work as they should and the engine is running fine. I thought of the obvious and rang vauxhall to ask them if they could supply me with a new temp sender unit for the guage but they say that the car does not have one and the guage gets the info from the ECU and the injectors. Obviously from this i am now worried that my ECU maybe faulty!!!!!! Anyone come across this before????
    Greg.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ermmm....... Thats not quite true what you've been told mate...

It always gets me mad when dealers spin you a line because the job is involved or they don't get much for it....

The 3.2 DOES have a coolant sensor.. end off. It's located in what they term the 'coolant bridge' which is to be found in the valley of the Vee between the cam covers, under the big intake plenubm..It's a bit of a git to get to, and thats prob why they are fobbing you off...either that or they don't want to get involved with such a big lump, even thou it is easy to work on if you know what you're doing with it..

as for the Temp guage getting it's info from the injectors.... just another line......

What they mean is they can't find it because it's not listed on there parts computer with the other engines temperature senders..so they give you a line...Go back in and ask for the complete coolant bridge and it's 'o' ring seals...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have an 04 GSi which exhibits similar symptoms re: the temperature gauge. The needle on my gauge doesn't move off the bottom stop until the car has been running for about 5 minutes or a few miles. It then jumps into life, moves to about the '10 o'clock' position and then continues to move up to normal operating temperature - after which it works fine. I just put it down to a 'sticky' needle rather than faulty sender unit. I have never bothered getting it fixed as I don't want the Vx spanner monkeys ripping my dashboard apart and then creating squeaks/rattles when they try to put it back together.

In your case though, if it is taking 30 mins before it moves, that might be worth further investigation. I'm sure there must be a way of isolating the problem - one of the 'techies' on the site will no doubt be along soon to advise

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I HATE DEALERS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks though for your advice, i did think that it must have a coolant sensor somewhere. I will try another dealer after Xmas.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Sri

Engine : 2.0 turbo

Year : 2005

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    Hi
    Just got a 52 plate 3.2 GSI in red. It is on the whole a fantastic car. Have already done away with the Phillps car set that came with it and fitted my Blaupunkt head unit with built in Sat Nav. What a difference that makes as it improves the sound quality by loads.
    Got a few probs though. After reading the various posts on the forum i have the creaky C pillar at the rear, which i plan to have a go at fixing myself, and until then will turn the stereo up!!! Also my temp guage appears to be acting very strangely. It does not move from the cold position at all until you have been driving for around 1/2 an hour. It will then go up and down of its own accord, but never going over the middle position. The heaters get hot and work as they should and the engine is running fine. I thought of the obvious and rang vauxhall to ask them if they could supply me with a new temp sender unit for the guage but they say that the car does not have one and the guage gets the info from the ECU and the injectors. Obviously from this i am now worried that my ECU maybe faulty!!!!!! Anyone come across this before????
    Greg.
    hi there is a difference in our cars as mine is a 1.8 sxi just recently my temp gauge as been acting wierd it was running fine when i noticed it went straight to the cold position now it moves up and down and wont move past 80 i think something is wrong with mine aswell

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It should be noted that the delay in the temp needle moving is because the temp gauge doesn't actually indicate anything until the coolant reaches about 70 celcius.

Thread Information