User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kia Picanto

spoons

Default Kia Picanto

OK, my mum has decided to change her car... she used to have a Nissan Micra for 13 years... yes 13 years...

She lives out in the countryside, and very rarely uses the car, just for popping into town, Womens Institute (WI) meetings etc.

Criteria.... £5k budget. Got to have 4 Doors, reliable, rear seats must fold absolutely flat (so that the Labradors can jump around in the back), no gimiky gadgets as they just confuse her (her words, not mine!!), got to be 1.0 litre for fuel economy and road tax. Must have Air Bags, ABS & Power Steering. Not bothered about AirCon as the windows are always down !!..

.... and she will keep it until it dies gracefully..... hopefully in another 13 years time.

I suggested she had a look at a Kia Picanto as it fills all her requirements and she can get one new for £5k which includes 3 years RAC, 3 years warrantee & 6 years Paint warrantee

Good suggestion or not ??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

..."The Thinking Person's Car"... Sounds good to me although I don't know a hell of a lot about them .... I seem to recall Hyundai do a reasonably priced small car with a good warranty too??

Dave

Edit: actually it's a bit out of budget but comes with a 5 year warranty : http://www.hyundai.co.uk/choose/amica/prices/
    Last edited by ukanalyst; 23rd December 2006 at 00:31. Reason: Added Car Info

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi Spoons mate ony of my workmates has Sorento and his wife has Picanto he swears by them and for that money cant go wrong

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

A great choice. They're far better put together than most give them credit for and the dealers put VX to shame.

I always read honest john's website for car reviews, he's far more impartial than whatcar or autoexpress and isn't a middle england party boy with his head in the clouds.

He quite likes it too: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=116

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My Mum only drives automatics and when she changed her car last March, the only small cars which had a 'proper' automatic transmission rather than a clutchless manual system were; Kia Picanto, Diahatsu Charade or Chevy (Daewoo) Matiz. The Picanto is really a shortened version of the Hyundai Getz (Hyundai own Kia).

She drove them all and went for the Picanto - 1.1LX Auto. The auto is a Jatco unit as used by several of the major manufacturers and is very smooth. I think the Kia is a great little machine - it has all the toys like A/C, power steering etc and for the money you can't go wrong. My Mum is absolutely delighted with hers - she had an '03 Ford Fiesta Ghia before the Kia and although the Ford was a better all round car, the clutchless manual auto was appalling. Her buying criteria were similar to your Mum - easy to drive, reliable, 'simple' interior etc. and the Kia ticks all those boxes.

Have a look here for other comments: http://www.kia-forums.com/

To drive, I'd say it is similar to the 1990's era Vx Corsa, i.e. not really up to current European levels - but more than acceptable. If your Mum is small/short, bear in mind that the seats don't adjust for height on the Picanto but you can lift the seat higher with longer bolts and spacers under the rails. One of the common complaints on the Picanto is the front grill looks a bit odd, however this can be transformed for a mere £40: http://kia-darlington.sgpetch.co.uk/...rior/rowid=472

Another thing you might also want to consider is the Kia doesn't come with a spare wheel - it has 'goo' and a little compressor to repair the tyre. I negotiated for a spare wheel kit in the deal. There are now quite a few nearly new Picantos on the market, so you'll be able to turn up a good spec very low mileage 2nd hand one for £5K.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Audi

Trim : A5

Engine : 2.0 turbo petrol

Year : 2009

id say go for it spoons mate, absolutely fantastic little car for the money, you cant go wrong veryy very nearly bought one ourselves last year but wife preferred clio! make no mistake kia are on the up and up and are getting bigger all the time, building very good cars aswell check out the new (admittedly stupidly named CEED) very nice alternative to astra/focus/golf sized car

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The Kia Picanto is generally well reviewed and represents very good value for money. It's spacious, well equipped, practical and should be reasonably reliable. My only hesitation would be the below average crash protection, as reported by Euro NCAP:

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...?id1=1&id2=200

spoons

Thank you all for your feedback.

My mum just called to say that she will be collecting her new Kia Picanto on Wednesday.

She's really looking forward to it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Work colleague of mine bought one new for his youngest daughter. Was so impressed with it that he changed the eldest daughter's Fiat (Seicento or Panda IIRC) for another new Picanto.

Haven't driven or been in one myself however.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Pretty impressive little car but how about saving even more and buying an almost new one????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information