Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : VXR

Engine : 2.8 V6 Turbo (280)

Mileage : 82000

Default Clock LED conversion problem

I just thought I'd have a go at changing the SMDs in the clocks and it all went well up until putting it back together. The mileage display doesn't work, neither does the reset button (which seems to be missing a bit but I've searched high and low in the area I was working and can't see that I've missed anything) and now the damn airbag light is on!!

The clocks I'm not too worried about as I'll buy a new set from ebay and do the conversion again without being so oafish, which isn't ideal but it's the price I pay... but the airbag light is a concern.

Turning the ignition it illuminates, clears and then pops up again so I'd imagine that the problem doesn't lie with the clocks. Is it possible that it was caused when the trim snapped/clicked into place on the passenger side? I didn't have the light on until the clocks were set up, refitted and the trim was replaced.

Please help!!!

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi mate,

well from my experience, when I was converting mine. I was back and too plugging in, unplugging just to test that they were working.

on a couple of occasions some of the lights would light up randomly. What I done but can't say if this will fix it for u is to make sure the wire that you plug into the clocks is clean, blow it to clear of any dust and same goes for the connection on the clocks

now as for the LEDs that's sent working. Are you using the PLCC-4 LEDS? Just make sure that they are soldered properly and also make sure that no solder is joining the other pads.

can you take a pic of what it currently looks like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

BTW, if you don't know already. For the reset button/stick you're looking for this:

small round rubber thing, really look at every nook and cranny for it, it would have fell out where you took it apart... Hopefully, or it's come loose and still inside your clocks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I don't know what has caused the airbag light to come up, I'll give it a couple of days and see if it clears, if not i'll get it on the diagnostics after checking the clock connections.

I bought the LEDs from crazy-leds and they're PLCC-2 3528, odd because they were in a separate bag stating 'for mileage illumination only' ... could be an error on both of our parts, them supplying them and me fitting them? I know the joints are ok, but if they must be PLCC-4 then there lies the problem. They button is still a mystery to me, all I had was the button stalk and the rubber PCB switch cover, something like a spring must be missing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by lew1984 View Post
    BTW, if you don't know already. For the reset button/stick you're looking for this:

small round rubber thing, really look at every nook and cranny for it, it would have fell out where you took it apart... Hopefully, or it's come loose and still inside your clocks
    Yeah i've got that lew, and the stick, but when i push it there's no positive feel to it if you get what I mean, no click or springing back.

Perhaps it's come out again when i refitted it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

did you turn the ingnition on with the dials out of the car? if so thats why your airbag light is on and i believe its a tech2 trip to turn them off (only going by what i have been told)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well in the pics above, that rubber circle goes between the reset button and board... Where you see the black dot inside, that goes against the board and because it's rubber, it acts as the spring as its indented.

the smds needed for the mileage are definitely PLCC-4's however you can get away with using PLCC-2s you have to offset them and tbh, it can be an arse... I done mine with PLCC-2s but not been right since... Have been in for months but recently been flickering, tried to fix but didn't work... So ordered some new ones but PLCC-4s this time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by baz2003uk View Post
    did you turn the ingnition on with the dials out of the car? if so thats why your airbag light is on and i believe its a tech2 trip to turn them off (only going by what i have been told)
    Nah that doesn't effect it, my clocks out all the time when I've been fitting the SMDs just for testing etc.

if you have PLCC-2 SMDs goin over the connects for PLCC-4 SMDs then that could be causing the airbag light to come as its 'cross-wired' so to speak.. If you get me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'll order some plcc-4 leds then and re-do them. As for the milaege reset, it would appear that the rubber has just dislodged itself then. However I'm not convinced with the airbag light. I don't remember seeing it on the clocks before I fitted the trim but i could be mistaken however I can't see how a sharp tap on the dash can bring it up either. Thanks for your help and I'll keep you updated when I've stripped the clocks down again on Monday.
    In the meantime if anyones got other suggestions I can try while I'm waiting for the new LEDs to turn up, I'd be greatful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by CDTiMatt View Post
    I'll order some plcc-4 leds then and re-do them. As for the milaege reset, it would appear that the rubber has just dislodged itself then. However I'm not convinced with the airbag light. I don't remember seeing it on the clocks before I fitted the trim but i could be mistaken however I can't see how a sharp tap on the dash can bring it up either. Thanks for your help and I'll keep you updated when I've stripped the clocks down again on Monday.
    In the meantime if anyones got other suggestions I can try while I'm waiting for the new LEDs to turn up, I'd be greatful.
    As I said mate, it's possible that having the PLCC-2s in place might be causing it to light up as its linking positive and negative connection together.

It hard to explain but when you see it, you'll know what I'm on about. Hopefully my new LEDs will come tomorrow so I can take some pics and show you what I mean etc

I don't know if you recall when putting in your new LEDs, when you took off the old ones, did you notice 4 connections per led? One is negative and the other 3 are positive connections, the led will have a corner marked/cut off to represent which side is negative. So because the PLCC-2 only has 2 connections rather than 4... It's connected to both negative and positive when should be seperate.

Apologies if doesn't make sense, but I'll take some pics when I can... We'll get it fixed for you lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information