0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.0 CDTI

Year : 2005

Mileage : 103000

Default Legendary Judder/Hesitation!

Went from London to Bath for the weekend. Stopped at Newbury BP to fill up, car was midway between red and quarter so still plenty left.

Brimmed with regular diesel. Joined the motorway, up the ramp and there seemed to be a bit more smoke but then off it went. Then started to climb gently on the motorway and experienced a bit of power loss/judder. This happened a couple more times and then I was pretty much fine all the way after that.

A little bit of driving around Bath, had the spanner light a couple of times but no limp mode. It was always cleared after an ignition cycle.

Drove back today, car drove beautifully on the A roads from Bath to M4, joined the M4 and got up to speed and almost straight away got hesitation even worse going uphill. Car is an auto, dropped into semi-auto and changed gears to see what happens. At one point in 4th there was masses of thick black smoke behind. Then nothing and running ok (if a little rough and underpowered).

After driving round in London it would sometimes exhibit this at low speed, sometimes not.

Only code I've seen recently is P0301 (Cylinder 1 Misfire), every now and again with a slightly rough idle. In fairness it's done that on and off for the last 6 months/6K

Taking it for a fuel filter tomorrow, that was done when I got it, but I want to have a look at it.

I've got the Android Torque app and a Bluetooth dongle. Logged a lot of data but don't know what to do with it. The wife was looking at the app and the car was holding boost in line with what was expected, you could see the boost going down slightly as the car was going uphill for instance. But boost was holding and when you were accelerating it rose as expected.

Sadly can't monitor fuelling, possible customisation to get it, which I'm looking into it. As I strongly suspect this is fuelling. Pump/SCV/Fuel Filter/Bad Diesel

I have 'other' tools, any suggestions on things I can check?

Having seen others' experience this can be something that happens and gets worse over time. This has literally been since I filled the car and has been dramatic.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

WOW! Went out this morning, got a Hengst filter from ECP, there was a choice of two, one for £5 and one for £11, went for the more expensive one as I had nothing to compare against. What filter is recommended? GM or other. Couldn't get GM, needed it now not in two days

Took it down to the garage and had it replaced. It was manly black with just one tiny strip of clear where it is against the housing or something.

Left the garage, in suburbia so haven't had a proper road test, but spinning the wheels up every time I planted the accelerator seems to suggest it's much better. Very happy. It hasn't been like this for a while!

All I can assume is that the filter did it's job and prevented whatever cack got in from hitting the fuel pump.

Tomorrow I'll be out on a longer run so i can see how it behaves.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

fingers crossed its fixed

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Got it warmed up this morning and floored it on the Dual Carriageway this morning, feels quicker than it has been for a while. No mis-fire either.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

And it's back!
    This time I had the torque app on a little android phone glued to the dashboard. On idle/light cruise fuel rail pressure was about 5K Psi, flooring it it would hit 10K+ as I generally look where I'm going so couldn't see higher!

Out on the A3 in Manual mode (mine is an auto), it would rev until 3K steadily then hesitate, sometimes revving past that, sometimes not. When that happened I could see fuel rail pressure drop to 2K ish, so clearly being starved of fuel. Oddly in full auto it will accelerate briskly, it tends to change up earlier maintaining a good power band. If I floored it in Auto mode and it revved up until about 4-4.5K no problem.

m8internet listed a part number for a fuel filter the other day, I wanted to replace the fuel filter and clean the cannister again once I'd disposed of the suspect fuel and run another tank through, it's just tickling below half now, so I'll do it at the weekend.

I'm sure these figures for the fuel rail pressure aren't correct but are representative of what is going on.

Thread Information