Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default MOT Advisories - Advice Please!

Well my Vec 1.9 150 passed it's MOT yesterday - which surprised me!
    Got a couple of Advisory notes that I'd appreciate some help on :-

1. Off Side Front Macpherson strut has slight play in upper support bearing - now the garage has got one in for me, should I be looking at doing the NSF at same time??

2. NS and OS Rear Anti Roll bar has slight play in inner bush - is there anything else I should be looking at replacing when getting these done??

Plan is to get the above works done (and anything else you would advise getting done at same time) and then get a Hunters Alignment with Camber adjustment as the rears get eaten pretty hard on inner edge.
    Car is an 06 with 160k on clock - I'm doing approx 30-35k/year on motorway.

Cheers!
    Last edited by hebdendave; 12th July 2012 at 21:44.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Mk1 renault scenic... I know I know but it drives

Trim : Basic

Engine : 1.6 16v

Year : 2003

Yes it's advisable to get anything suspension related changed in pairs.

Get the full mount an bearing changed.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

Trim : design

I am a bit dubious about advisories - I get the impression that some MOT testers always have to throw in a couple as a matter of course - and I know one garage that does it to create work - a lot of people will see an advisory and automatically ask for a quote and have the work done. (A mate of mine works there and has been told by the management to always give at least one and that this has created a lot of work) Its usually a matter of opinion and can vary from tester to tester. I would look closely at the items advised on and bear them in mind if you get any further problems / warning signs at a later date - the only problem is when you go for your next test does the MOT'er look on the Vosa computer to see last years advisories and goes straight to them to see if they have been done?
    Don't get me wrong - if an item needs replacing and is picked up - replace it - but by giving advice they are really saying it doesn't need replacing otherwise it would be a fail.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I took my mums old fiesta for MOT a couple of weeks ago. I checked the paperwork from last year and and it had 5 advisories so I looked at all of them and decided to just take it back to the same test centre and see if it failed on anything else as its 16 years old now and not worth spending a fortune on. Same place but a different tester and he passed it with no advisories!! He said it was a great little car with no problems.
    However, if you're having any problems or noises with that part of the suspension it might be worth getting it done if you trust the garage.
    Rear ARB bushes are £3 odd each from VX and take about 20 mins per side once you work out how it's done - did mine last week - so check what they're quoting to do them too.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had an advisory last year for a nail in a rear tyre. They let me drive out with it! Took it to get it repaired and the other place took all 4 wheels off and could not find a nail in any of them!!! Bet the tester was p****d

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Vectra Meldrew View Post
    I took my mums old fiesta for MOT a couple of weeks ago. I checked the paperwork from last year and and it had 5 advisories so I looked at all of them and decided to just take it back to the same test centre and see if it failed on anything else as its 16 years old now and not worth spending a fortune on. Same place but a different tester and he passed it with no advisories!! He said it was a great little car with no problems.
    However, if you're having any problems or noises with that part of the suspension it might be worth getting it done if you trust the garage.
    Rear ARB bushes are £3 odd each from VX and take about 20 mins per side once you work out how it's done - did mine last week - so check what they're quoting to do them too.
    I agree completely - if it needs doing do it - the garage I use for MOT's ( and have used for over 35yrs) know full well that if they fail one of my cars I will do the repairs myself. They do occasionally fail cars - but never give advisories other than verbal advice. The Mechanic /Tester there who has been there all the time I have used the garage - doesn't do me any favours and I don't expect him to - but he is always fair and will call me into the inspection area to show exactly what the problem is. My Father in Law, who is 83 took his 2008 Renault Kangoo, with 16k on the clock in absolutely mint condition to our local branch of Hi Q - they passed the car but gave him an advisory on the front discs being worn - when he came back I had a look at them and they were in perfect condition apart from slight scaling on the outer edge - I wanted to go back and query it but he had already arranged to have them replaced and paid £140 for the pleasure.
    Another problem is getting an advisory on a car you want to sell - most prospective buyers will be a bit weary if they see that there is an advisory on the certificate and may insist on the work being done or knock you down on the selling price using this as a lever.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

I had advisories for arb bushes last year and by this year they were stuffed. Advisories are there as well to warn you that by the next year the item may be a fail. That is if the said part has worn to an extent it may not make the next MOT but it's not a threat to the safety and road worthyness of the car.

Get the aforementioned advisories checked out at another garage is my advice.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c

Trim : ls

Engine : 1800

Year : 04

Mileage : 134000

Quote Originally Posted by alcutler View Post
    I am a bit dubious about advisories - I get the impression that some MOT testers always have to throw in a couple as a matter of course - and I know one garage that does it to create work - a lot of people will see an advisory and automatically ask for a quote and have the work done. (A mate of mine works there and has been told by the management to always give at least one and that this has created a lot of work) Its usually a matter of opinion and can vary from tester to tester. I would look closely at the items advised on and bear them in mind if you get any further problems / warning signs at a later date - the only problem is when you go for your next test does the MOT'er look on the Vosa computer to see last years advisories and goes straight to them to see if they have been done?
    Don't get me wrong - if an item needs replacing and is picked up - replace it - but by giving advice they are really saying it doesn't need replacing otherwise it would be a fail.

i agree with you there i have had my vectra c for 6 years now and never had an advisory until my last mot in march

now the last mot was 39.99 and got an advisory

the previous 5 years i paid around 50.00 pounds no advisory

so i will take it back next year to the 50.00 pounds garage and see what happens

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : z

Trim : z

Engine : z

Year : z

It's down to the tester and the test centre.

Look what happened to me with my last car at Kwik Fit with a £30 MOT... http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showth...sday&highlight=

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think the best policy is find a good testing station and stick with it - a lot now are cutting the cost of the test to get people in - apparently when the government ran the £2000 for your car when you bought a new car a couple of years back it hit the MOT business hard and it has never recovered since with less people running older cars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information