User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch and DMF changed, now awfull noise!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Clutch and DMF changed, now awfull noise!

Hi All,

Take it easy on me, new to all this forum stuff!

Car went to the garage Monday for a new clutch to be fitted, slipping really bad, no noise or anything so thought "OK, DMF must be fine!" Garage called me 5pm yesterday to say that the DMF was FUBAR, need a new one, haven't got much of an idea when it comes to mechanics, he told me that it would be more beneficial to have a solid flywheel fitted, last longer apparently. Picked the car up 5pm today and when you get to 2000 RPM, rattling/whining (Like the turbo spinning up) but sounds really rough, acc peddle vibrates and so does most of the car, get to just below 3000 RPM, and it goes away.

There doesn't seem to be any performance issues, if anything it feels better now after having all of this fitted.

Took it back to the garage now, we took it out for a drive and he says that it is the turbo spinning up, nothing to e worried about. It's really loud and sounds horrible!

Can't be the turbo as when still, rev the car, and it sounds "Normal". Checked all pipes, for splits and if anything was disturbed, but all is fine, would expect it to throw up a fault or Limp Home mode if turbo was playing up or a pipe was off.

After spending £700, you would expect it all to be fine.

If your wondering, its a 05 plate Signum this is the first clutch change, original lasted 124,000 miles! It's got the 2.0 DTI engine.

Any help would be grateful, going to throw it back at him tomorrow as I am really not happy! I understand it's not the garages fault if its faulty parts, but its a lot of money to just say don't worry about it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Have read on here that if you have a dmf then it is not a good idea to change to a solid ont. Sure someone will come along soon and clarify.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Engine : 20 Dti

Hi Redmans
    VX and other manufacturers fitted DMF's to cure vibrations,high speed diesel engines produce power surges from the pistons power strokes,fitting solid flywheels sometimes causes the vibration you have got,this is not a good idea as in severe cases they can cause broken crankshaft's.I'm afraid the garage has not done you any favours in fitting a solid in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : z

Trim : z

Engine : z

Year : z

Quote Originally Posted by jonnybravo View Post
    Hi Redmans
    VX and other manufacturers fitted DMF's to cure vibrations,high speed diesel engines produce power surges from the pistons power strokes,fitting solid flywheels sometimes causes the vibration you have got,this is not a good idea as in severe cases they can cause broken crankshaft's.I'm afraid the garage has not done you any favours in fitting a solid in my opinion.

The Dual Mass Flywheel dampens vibrations. The Solid one does not

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I suppose it varies really? I had a solid mass flywheel fitted to a VW Bora that I had, it marginally increased vibration at tickover but was absolutely fine otherwise. The advantage is that it's hardly likely to go wrong seeing as it's just a solid lump of flywheel! Of course that's only of any benefit if you're going to keep the car long enough to wear out another clutch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for all your replies! Took it out again last night after reading some of the posts on the forums, there is no change on tickover, if anything it is quieter! Drove it to work this morning, little bit of vibration and noise, but nothing like I had yesterday!

Spoke to the garage, they have said it might take a while to bed in, but if I'm honest, it's not bothering me now if it stays like it is, can hardly feel it this morning, strange!

I guess thats what you get for trying to save a few £'s!

They have asked for me to take it back up tonight for them to take it out for a drive, they have said give it two weeks, if it hasn't settled down they will change it. Can't fault that service if I'm honest! Can't be much more fair than that! Let you know how I get on tonight!

Thanks again for your replies!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : z

Trim : z

Engine : z

Year : z

Good service then

I'd be concerned about the gearbox taking the bulk of the vibrations now, rather than a DMF, as it's now solid. This could lead to gearbox failure over time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

Trim : design

I think a lot of it depends on how you drive it - if you are gentle with the clutch and gear changes it will be fine - thrash the arse off it and you could have problems - bearing in mind the mileage the old girl needs to be treated with respect!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

After reading posts on here Tony, that made me panic a bit, but I have also seen that the F32? (Maybe F23) gearbox, can't find the thread now lol, they were originally in the vectra B's without a DMF and no issues, looking at mine, this is the gearbox that I have, so trying not to panic as much at the moment. Just have to see what is said tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi Alcutler, She has done a fair few miles! Still going strong though (Touch Wood). Had a few issues with her, Throttle Body being the main one, but appart from that she has been a great car. Treat her with more loving and respect that the misses "Apparently"! Hoping she's going to last me a while. I do boot her a few times, who doesn't?? But quite gentle with her 95% of the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information