User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just the job for club meetings......

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Just the job for club meetings......

Picked ourselves (the family, not the club! lol) up one of these recently. Not the actual one in the link, but the exact same model and year.

Some pics in case that page expires. Pics not mine as not taken any yet but exactly same as what we have.

Conway_Classic_Trio_09.jpgConway_Classic_Trio_01.jpgConway_Classic_Trio_02.jpgConway_Classic_Trio_03.jpgConway_Classic_Trio_04.jpgConway_Classic_Trio_05.jpgConway_Classic_Trio_06.jpgConway_Classic_Trio_07.jpgConway_Classic_Trio_08.jpg

Now that the boys are a bit older (4 and 2) we'd been thinking of getting a family tent, but then decided to have a look at trailer tents as whilst we'd never owned one, we'd stayed in and helped put up/take them down in the past so were at least familiar with them.

Started looking on eBay and the local classified web site and saw a few up for sale. Decided we'd stick with the Conway make, simply because we came across their owner's web site which has a mass of info, scans of all the brochures, all the info on each model/year etc. so it made it sooo much easier to compare one with another.

We saw one ad for a model that was 1996, forgotten which model, which sounded okay and was fairly local and was still available. Never got a chance to go and view it straight away just with one thing and another. When I then did ring to see about viewing it had then been sold.

We'd seen an ad for another model and the ad was a bit vague with specifics i.e. didn't have the year but from the model they'd stated (Classic) it would have been 1999-200 but when I rang about it when she described the colour it didn't tally with the colour in the brochure for a Classic (it's blue) and I quickly realised it was the newer Classic Trio which was 2001-2003.

Looking at other ads on ebay and the Conway Owners' Club, this model was selling for £1000-£1200!, so we wondered what was wrong with it given the price they were asking for it! Went and looked at it and they opened up the main trailer tent part (the sleeping part). Canvas all looked good, no musty smell or sign of mildew. Couldn't obviously open up the awning it's 4 metres long and almost as wide! They were also throwing in some bits that it came with from the previous owner - hook-up cable, 12v/230v fridge, Thetford chemical loo and a wheel clamp. That lot alone would've cost well over £200 alone to buy new!

As it was the first one we'd seen we were in a bit of a quandry! We had nothing to compare it against but it seemed in excellent condition and we didn't want to miss out on a bargain. Went away and had lunch and decided we were going to take the punt, based on the condition of what we'd seen so far and what they were normally selling for!

So went back and made them an offer, given that we were taking a bit of a punt and we hadn't seen the awning, and they happily agreed, so I quickly put on my detachable towbar, hooked it all up and off we went with our new purchase! On the drive home I hardly knew it was there, given the grunt of my car and the weight of the trailer tent (around 400kg). I only bought the towbar (from Maverick on here) a while back simply because it was going for a good price and I thought it may have it's uses, and was detachable so not always there in the way/looking ugly. Used it a couple of times since getting it but now it's going to get good use!

Got home and over the next few days opened it up (weather permitting) on our drive to check out all the bits 'n' bobs to do with the tent. The only 'bad' points I'd seen up until that point (which I saw when we viewed it) was that some of the metal catches/clasps were a bit rusty, and some other cosmetic bits, but the chassis was absolutely fine so it was literally just some little cosmetic bits. The clasps can be replaced in the future anyway if I was so inclined. The big storage box on the front had a couple of dinks on each corner where it looked like someone had turned too tightly and caught it with the back of their car. I've since done a bit of 'panel beating', as it's a metal box, and you can barely see the dent's/dinks now.

We hadn't been looking/expecting to have one in time for Billing, but a bonus that we have, but we didn't want to be putting up all the awning part of it for the first time at Billing!, so we booked into a local camp site just for a night, all four of us, to give it a trial run/see if the boys actually liked camping!

The trial run was definitely worth the time as it just allowed me to refresh myself/work out some of how the awning went together and I was pleased to see that the awning canvas was in superb condition. That night it chucked it down and there wasn't a single sign of any ingress on any part of the tent or awning. Fortunately the sun came out in the morning before we packed away and we were thankfully able to pack away all dry.

Looking through eBay again subsequently, and at more ads on the Conway Owner's site, we can see that we definitely have bagged ourselves an utter bargain! We don't know if they just wanted to shift it, or weren't aware of what they can still sell for, but either we both parties were happy, us particularly!, and since getting it we've been sorting out all the bits we need ourselves. Most of the stuff we need for camping we had already, mostly from me camping at meets etc., so we've not had to buy too much. Some things we'll add to it in time but we're pretty much good to go for Billing.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia VX-line RED Tourer

Trim : No, over weight!

Engine : Flux Core Capacitor

Year : 1 A.D

Mileage : Rising

So we're all sleeping in Duncans awning this weekend then !

Have consideration for the deaf, if you're gunna fart, make it smell !

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

trailor tent, cant beat them

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Hatchback

Trim : Life(well it was)

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2005

Mileage : 166000

lol makes my tent look like a fag packet, oh hang on it is the size of a fag packet :P, really have gotta get myself a wee trailer tent
    South East Region ARO And Resident Diesel Head

Owns: 2005 Vectra Life Hatchback 1.9 CDTI 150 Mods: Too Many !!!

Admin & Merchandise Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia

Trim : irmscher

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2009

Quote Originally Posted by FIL 4822 View Post
    Forget that im in the double

Irmscher Insignia CDTI 130

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 2007 1.9cdti sri 150 estate

Trim : sri

Engine : 1.9cdti 150

Year : 2007

very nice, i have always been curious about how they fold away,.

seems a decent price and a lot less hassle to tow than a caravan!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 2007 1.9cdti sri 150 estate

Trim : sri

Engine : 1.9cdti 150

Year : 2007

it looks like it must be like one of those fild up maps to put away tho?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by FIL 4822 View Post
    As long as you don't wake up Cameron or Aidan! lol That rules out Paulhb as even in the next tent he kept us all awake at TV Live 2011 with his snoring!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    Forget that im in the double
    I think Cameron/Aidan may have something to say about that!

Quote Originally Posted by J P S View Post
    seems a decent price and a lot less hassle to tow than a caravan!

Quote Originally Posted by J P S View Post
    it looks like it must be like one of those fild up maps to put away tho?
    lol, yeah. Kind of. This video shows the general gist. although they clearly practised this numerous time for the video, had the luxury of doing it indoors with no wind and had prepped a lot of the bits beforehand so all you actually see is the final folding bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiV9h-7ITIg

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 150

Year : 05

Mileage : 74000

hopefully it'll come with soundproofing too
    Plasma's Tech2 services are now partially open and able to provide services

Come Join our new forum Insignia Owners.com for all your Insignia chat and needs

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Tourer

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTI (160ps)

Year : 2010

Tent?? that's not a tent it's a mobile hotel isn't it?

Very nice D, jealous of the space you'll have, although not jealous of the time and effort it must take to put up and down
    "Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit, you get a warm feeling but nobody else notices"
    Maptun Tuned 2.0T Estate - click HERE for mods list.
    Brentwood 2012: Winner, Saturday Show. Hull 2012: Winner, Best Estate. Hull 2013: Winner, Best Estate & Runner Up, Best I.C.E

Now Gone, bring on the Insignia (now "Teapot" Tuned)...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information