Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Angry Very angry rant!!!!

Does anyone understand this?!?!?!

Surely National Health Service beauracracy and red tape gone mad?!?!

This morning I attempted to obtain a doctors' appointment for my asthmatic 15 year old son, who had had a troubled night with a chest infection, resulting in an asthma attack.

Despite arriving at opening time, 8.30 on the dot, and being the only person in the waiting room, on asking to book an appointment for him at some point today, the receptionist told me

'That's not the procedure!' and then went on to tell me that the procedure is as follows................

Telephone doctors surgery and leave phone number.
    Await phone call from practice nurse.
    Tell practice nurse nature of complaint.
    Practice nurse decides if doctors appointment is needed.
    'If' practice nurse decided appointment is neccessary, and 'if' appointment is available, one will be booked.

"Hmmmmmm..." says I.."well, as we are actually here in the building at the moment, please can we speak to the practice nurse face to face?"

"NO" said the receptionist "that's not the way we do it - you'll have to go home and phone here, and leave your number for her to call"

"But I am here...........now.............in the surgery...........I can see her through the window.........can't I talk to her now??!?!!?"

"No, you have to phone, and then she will ring you".

I stamped my feet and asked if I could wait for her. I was told I could.........we waited for over an hour - and were finally told that we wouldn't be able to see her until she had phoned all the people who had been phoning in this morning........since 8.30 when we had first arrived!!!!!! Thus putting us to the back of the queue!?!!?!?!?! Running out of patience and time, I tried to book an apppointment for tomorrow - but was told that as per today, I would have to wait till tomorrow morning, phone the practice, leave a phone number, wait for the nurse to ring, blah, blah, blah............

I am ashamed to say that I resorted to enlisting the help of an acquaintance who knows the practice manager, phoned him from her house, and within an hour we had secured an appointment. He has admitted it is a system set up to prevent time wasters and hypochondriacs from filling all the appointments!!!!

Apologies to anyone in the medical profession who supports this, but imho it beggars belief!! I cannot believe this is the kind of service I pay my taxes for!!!!! Can anyone make sense of this?!?!? Am I missing something?!?!?

Footnote:- son much better now after new inhalers, and antiboitics for chest infection.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I can only sympathise - this is why casualty gets so full.

Government targets....... no one has to wait more than 48 hrs for an appointment so they simply don't allow appointments more than 48 hrs in advance. In my practice you have to phone and keep redialling at 0800 hrs on the day and hope that you can get through. Later than 0815 and all the appointments are gone. Not as bureaucratic as your system but a similar effect

Come back the good old days.........

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I drove myself to the emergency bit of the local hospital about a year ago as i was having trouble breathing , im also athsmatic , had to wait an hour because of some sodding polish family with p!$$ poor english , kept getting told to wait my turn even though it was blindingly obvious i was struggling to breathe, once i had a blat on the ventilator , i let rip , last one to leave this crappy country turn the lights out .

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I fully understand your dilema, even here the service is not much better.

My wife also suffers from asthma and had a bad night last week. I called the doctors the next morning, only to be told that the next available appointment was in 2 weeks. The receptionist added if my wifes condition worsened I should call 999.

Believe me 2 weeks is quick for an appointment, the whole system sucks.
    Ten years ago our village had a population of 850, now it has over 5000, but the doctors surgery has not increased in size.

Just make you think....where do all out taxes go ?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry but that sounds more like a jobsworth. Your son as far as I am concerned is same as mine asthmatic and that makes him a priority. You must of have found it hard to keep your calm. My dr's I can just phone and make an appointment regardless of illness.

Glad to hear he is much better that is the main issue.

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Graeme's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had troubles today. At hospital for diabetic clinic for hours and was asked have you had the flu jab? no i said so told to go to GP surgery.

Got there to be greeted with some torn faced receptionist who told me 'you have missed it the clinic was yesterday so tough' and she closed the window on me. I politely knocked and asked her when the next one is and she said 'i have already told you it was yesterday'. It was a passing nurse that finally told me to book an appointment with her next week at another desk but that bint on the desk is going to get a shock as i sent a letter in to practice manager to complain.

So sympathise with ya louise, glad your sons on the mend.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Got there to be greeted with some torn faced receptionist......
    Priceless description m8!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    ....but that bint on the desk is going to get a shock as i sent a letter in to practice manager to complain.

My doctors are great, but they have got a slightly mad appointment system. You can't book more than two days in advance!! So if I have a non-urgent matter, but still need to see the doctor I can't ring on a Monday to book on Thursday if that fits in with my timings that week! Thankfully I don't need to see my Doc very often.

What is it with Doctor's surgeries receptionists? - they all seem to have this elevated self-importance about them - as do most of the assistants who work behind pharmacy counters who think they know better! No love (or mate) you didn't spend x years at uni/medical school to be a doctor/pharmacist - you just sell the stuff/book the appointments!!

Sorry to hear of your infuriating experience Lou, but glad your son got sorted in the end!!

D

spoons

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs D View Post
    ... I cannot believe this is the kind of service I pay my taxes for!!!!!
    Hi Mrs D,

Glad to hear your son is better.... in answer to your above statement... you dont pay tax for the NHS... nobody does. Its funded by the government, not taxes. Council Tax is for local services, but not the NHS. National Insurance is for your state pension (dont get me started on this one )...

So if you wanted a better service, you'll probably want to consider going private. (dont get me started on this one either )

NHS is abused internally and externally...!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Didn't think general practice was available outside the NHS yet?

But I agree with Rodnoc - the biggest problem is that there are the same number (or less) of GPs, with an ever increasing patient base, and no doubt this is exacerbated by the Government's absolute ineptitude in stopping illegal immigrants entering the country.

There is apparently also a shortage of doctors who want to become GPs - which suprises me, cos if I'd gone to med school, I'd surely have the brains to realise that 4 or 5 hours work a day, with no nights or weekends, for a salary of circa £70k, was a bl00dy good deal!!!!

In Staffordshire, the out of hours doctors service went out to tender a couple of years ago, and our ambulance service won it. So now if you ring for a doctor between 5:30pm and 8am, or at weekends, you speak to a paramedic in the call centre, and if you need a home visit, you get a paramedic. We hate it with a passion, but TBH, I think we give a better service than doctors ever did.

I haven't been to my GP for nearly 10 years, but if I need an appointment for one of my boys, I can always get them seen that day.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

Our doctors are the same, if you go to the reception you are told to phone for an appointment, so you go outside and ring from your mobile BINGO, they will speak to you then
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post

What is it with Doctor's surgeries receptionists? - they all seem to have this elevated self-importance about them
    Agreed, they all seem to think they are the doctor and want to know everything about your complaint. Well i'm sorry dear but it is a private matter between me and the doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    as do most of the assistants who work behind pharmacy counters who think they know better!
    I'll tell the wife you said that D She is a pharmacy technician and does actually know quite a bit as she has had to do a lengthy course and exams. She could tell you what most tablets are for and what to take for what symptoms

The "shop counter staff" don't though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information