Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Water Loss on Vectra 1.9CTDi

Hi everyone. A newbie at posting but have been a lurker since buying a 2007 (07) Vectra 1.9cdti at the beginning of May. You may see I joined in August 2009, we were going to buy a Vectra back then but ended up buying something completely different (don't ask what!).

We are very happy with the car and it goes like a dream, however we seem to be losing water but unsure from where.

A few days after driving it home from Maidenhead to Cornwall the water light came on. We topped it up and vowed to keep an eye on it. 10 days later in came on again. So after a bit of reading on here we booked into a Vauxhall Garage to have the cambelt and water pump changed. Vauxhall confirmed the water pump was leaking when we picked the car up. That was on the 30th May. We also had a health check done and pressure test and all came back absolutely fine.

Tuesday just gone, we were driving along and the water light came on again (26 days after cambelt change). We topped it up and booked it in the following day to check it over again. They removed the cam covers etc and it was bone dry and said it was possibly an air lock. The car was also serviced 2 weeks ago.

This morning I checked it over as going up to Southampton on Monday and the water level has dropped slightly again. So does anyone have any ideas where it is going or what could be causing it.?

I am a qualified mechanic, so don't mind getting in there and sorting something out but having never owned a Vectra before I wouldn't know where to start looking, which may be out of the ordinary. The oil was fine when it was drained for a service and the new oil still looks clean, as does the water. So where else can the water be going? We don't appear to have any wet spots on the drive but as our drive has a slight slope and with all the rain and damp weather we have had it would be hard to tell.

It's starting to bug me. The car runs too well for there to be a major problem. Just to complete the story, the car is an ex lease car, has been looked after very welll and had everything done to it which has needed doing. It is in fantastic condition inside and out. It has just done 80000 miles and we get over 500 miles from a tank of fuel. It does approximately 150 miles - 175 miles a week.

Thanks in advance for any help.

VIP-Member
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : `

Trim : `

Engine : `

Year : `

Mileage : `

Take the header tank off and check the rear of it. Its a known issue with a hairline crack appearing at the rear. New header tank is about £20+vat if required.
    "We are not some sort of dictatorship!"

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thank you, will pop out and have a look.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by DasArab View Post
    Take the header tank off and check the rear of it. Its a known issue with a hairline crack appearing at the rear. New header tank is about £20+vat if required.

Just checked the header tank and looks fine with no cracks.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bray View Post
    we booked into a Vauxhall Garage to have the cambelt and water pump changed. Vauxhall confirmed the water pump was leaking when we picked the car up. That was on the 30th May. We also had a health check done and pressure test and all came back absolutely fine
    booked it in the following day to check it over again. They removed the cam covers etc and it was bone dry and said it was possibly an air lock
    Even though you are a mechanic, you have paid (or claimed under warranty) for specific work, "Source, locate and repair a known coolant leak"
    Take the car back and give the car to them to diagnose and rectify, as paid for as above
    Do NOT topup the coolant (even if you are using 50:50 coolant and water)
    This will then show the dealership exactly how much coolant it is loosing

Sounds to me like the coolant is leaking from the output seal, which is then evaporating
    The best way to source this is to warm the car up then leave it overnight to cool, as this is the greatest variation in temperature
    If the engine tray is still in place then the coolant is probably collecting there, making diagnostic rather pointless for yourself as you won't see any water drops after parking (and if you do they won't be directly underneath where they have come from)
    The other method is to visually examine the underside of the engine with a UV lamp, the coolant trace should show up

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    Even though you are a mechanic, you have paid (or claimed under warranty) for specific work, "Source, locate and repair a known coolant leak"
    Take the car back and give the car to them to diagnose and rectify, as paid for as above
    Do NOT topup the coolant (even if you are using 50:50 coolant and water)
    This will then show the dealership exactly how much coolant it is loosing
    Cheers for the reply. It will most definitely be going back to Vauxhall next week. I was just wondering if there was something I could have replaced before going away on Monday as won't be able to get it back to the vauxhall dealer until next Thursday at the earliest.

I serviced the car myself but when it comes to cambelts etc I'd rather it be taken to a garage because the work is warranted. I'm not familiar with Vectras, more used to working on Land Rovers and Range Rovers. Thankfully I am no longer in the trade. I found my cars were neglected when I was working as a mechanic!

Thread Information