0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra 1.9 cdti (150)

Mileage : 105,000

Default vectra 3.0 sri cdti: 75 % power loss. No inection

Help pls.

I was driving and suddenly the engine light came on and my car just wouldnt pull at all!! There has clearly been a reduction of at least 75% of power. It was running beauful this morning. The car drives but there is no injection. What could be the issue? Im gutted as i bought the car only yesterday!!

I pray to god its only a minor issue and very simple and cheap!!!

Pls advise. Thanks.

Mo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

XXX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

There are two engine lights; one in the rev counter, and one beside the petrol tank level, so which one?
    The engine has gone into Safe Mode, this should reset after waiting at least 5 minutes, 10 engine restarts or 48 hours without use
    However to read the code it is best to do this as soon as the warning appears, as after 20 engine starts it will be deleted

Please advise as to vehicle details; MY (from your profile a 2004MY), mileage, last service (date and mileage), current mileage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    There are two engine lights; one in the rev counter, and one beside the petrol tank level, so which one?
    The engine has gone into Safe Mode, this should reset after waiting at least 5 minutes, 10 engine restarts or 48 hours without use
    However to read the code it is best to do this as soon as the warning appears, as after 20 engine starts it will be deleted

Please advise as to vehicle details; MY (from your profile a 2004MY), mileage, last service (date and mileage), current mileage
    Hi

What is MY?? Mileage 110k, last service last august at 105k. It is the engine light on the right by the petrol tank level.

How did it go into safe mode? What triggered it? How will i know iits out of it or not? What if it doesnt come out of that mode and the car doesnt regain all that power again? Is there a problem with the engine or injectors or anything??

Thanks mate
    Mo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Opel Signum

Trim : Sport

Engine : 3.0 CDTI

Year : 12/03

MY is model year.
    This sounds like an EGR fault to me. Get the codes read mate and get the engine serviced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by mtqn View Post
    It is the engine light on the right by the petrol tank level.
    How did it go into safe mode? What triggered it? How will i know iits out of it or not? What if it doesnt come out of that mode and the car doesnt regain all that power again? Is there a problem with the engine or injectors or anything??
    Mine has just suffered this
    This is the Emissions warning light
    Usually there is a large increase in smoke from the exhausts, when the warning activates the engine is put into Safe Mode and the EGR valve is bypassed (ignored)
    This is to prevent damage by the hot gases to the turbo

After about 2 days the Safe Mode will cancel, the warning light way stay on for a further 2 days

If the engine remains in Safe Mode for more than 4 days it is permanent fault and requires the code to be read
    A VX dealership should not charge for this, as it is a live code and can be diagnosed (not necessarily from the fault code)

The Emissions Warning Light normally suggests the EGR Valve has reached the end of its life
    Sadly on this engine it must NOT be cleaned, it is a replacement only
    Typical price is around £500
    May be slightly cheaper from Saab or Renault

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    Mine has just suffered this
    This is the Emissions warning light
    Usually there is a large increase in smoke from the exhausts, when the warning activates the engine is put into Safe Mode and the EGR valve is bypassed (ignored)
    This is to prevent damage by the hot gases to the turbo

After about 2 days the Safe Mode will cancel, the warning light way stay on for a further 2 days

If the engine remains in Safe Mode for more than 4 days it is permanent fault and requires the code to be read
    A VX dealership should not charge for this, as it is a live code and can be diagnosed (not necessarily from the fault code)

The Emissions Warning Light normally suggests the EGR Valve has reached the end of its life
    Sadly on this engine it must NOT be cleaned, it is a replacement only
    Typical price is around £500
    May be slightly cheaper from Saab or Renault
    Thanks.

What is the EGR? Is this what effects the power? What i will do then is wait a couole days and see. Do you think i should go get this checked out at a vauxhall dealership asap? If i keep driving will this damage anything, should i leave it for a couple days? This is free to get checked out you said? Would anyone recommend any place i can get this checked out in London?

Aarrgghh. Gutted as i bought the car yesterday and today this!! The car is a monster when u put you foot down, love it. Lets hope it passes in a couple days. If it does stay on where should i go to sort this, my local or a vauxhall service place?

Thanks so much. So is it deffo the egr valve? (What is that?)

Cheers
    Mo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Help pls.

I was driving and suddenly the engine light came on and my car just wouldnt pull at all!! There has clearly been a reduction of at least 75% of power. It was running beauful this morning. The car drives but there is no injection. What could be the issue? Im gutted as i bought the car only yesterday!!

I pray to god its only a minor issue and very simple and cheap!!!

Pls advise. Thanks.

Mo
    Take it back.

Unless you bought it without a mechanic or a knowledgeable car type person to make sure the car was ok ?
    Last edited by C-Owner; 23rd June 2012 at 19:28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Last edited by C-Owner; 23rd June 2012 at 19:23. Reason: double post my fault

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What is the EGR? Is this what effects the power? What i will do then is wait a couole days and see. Do you think i should go get this checked out at a vauxhall dealership asap? If i keep driving will this damage anything, should i leave it for a couple days? This is free to get checked out you said? Would anyone recommend any place i can get this checked out in London?

Aarrgghh. Gutted as i bought the car yesterday and today this!!
    Where did you buy it?
    As above, take it back to the supplier (if a business trader)

If it was a private purchase, then I would suggest as follows :
    Drive the car for about 2 miles and stop, remove the ignition key, walk round the car, restart the engine, then drive home
    If you do this twice the Safe Mode should reset, as explained in post #6

Phone up three local VX dealerships and ask for a quote for a new EGR Valve, supplied and fitted, on a Y30DT engine
    I would also recommend renewing the fuel filter at this visit
    The fuel filter is a weak point in this engine, the service plan is 2 years / 30K miles, but as we have discovered the fuel filter is only designed for 1 year / 10K miles, so replace it every 10K miles

The EGR Valve is the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve
    This is an emission valve to reduce the NO and NOX levels, to meet MoT requirements
    It is normally in the closed position, under load opens and feeds exhaust gas into the inlet manifold
    Soot increases with use, and eventually block the EGR, and this is the black smoke you often see (either from your own car when you floor it at low revs, or when following a diesel)

Where an engine sensor receives an excessive NOX level response, it will assume the EGR Valve has failed, blocked, or closed
    This is where Safe Mode applies, and reduces the requirement for the feed of the exhaust gas to the inlet manifold
    This also reduces the exhaust gas temperature, otherwise the turbo would be damaged within a few thousand miles of continued use

If an engine sensor also receives a high temperature response (Manifold Inlet Sensor) then the Emissions Warning Light will flash
    Do NOT drive the car any further, doing so could destroy the turbo within 50 miles
    Last edited by m8internet; 23rd June 2012 at 20:26.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information