Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Looking for a Vectra C

Hi,

I'm looking for a Vectra C for my wife. We really like the look of them and they seem to be great value for money.

We are in Perth, Australia, so looking at the 'Holden Vectra' variants.. Over here we only have the 2.2 4cyl and the 3.2 v6 engines to choose from.

I've had a quite browse through the common faults section of the forum and some simple googling to fin out what I should look for..

On the whole they seem to be good vehicles with the common engine sensor issues (i.e. idle control valve, cam sensor, and most likely others that I've not heard about). I'm not too scared/worried about these as I'm fairly confident I will be able to change these myself, and as I educate myself more on the vehicle will prob change them all as 'preventative maintenance' rather than wait for them to fail.

What I would like your opinion on is, is the 3.2v6 worth the extra money? I would like the extra power but it'll be my wifes car and she doesn't care about power (cares more about fuel economy).

I've read that the 3.2v6 has a timing 'belt' (i.e. rubber) that requires changing at certain intervals... What is this interval as I've read mixed opinions on when it should be changed and if left too long and it snaps I understand that this is damaging to the engine..?

On the flipside I've read that the 2.2 4cyl is cheaper to maintain and has a timing 'chain' (i.e. metal) and therefore should last the life of the vehicle.. Is this true?

Thank you very much for any info

PS. We're looking at a 2004 2.2 4cyl with 130,000kms this evening.. We're excited as it looks great in the pics (apart from the faded headlights, but I can polish that up with some elbow greese).

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

For anyone that was interested...

We ended up purchasing the Vectra C! We are very ahppy with it, dark blue, 144,000kms (not 130 like I thought), 2.2ltr (which is not fast but has a surprising amount of power) and sweet 5sp auto gearbox. Very nice to drive.

Cleaned it up yesterday (looked like the previous owner with 2 toddler's had never cleaned it ever!) and gave the engine bay a quick once over and degrease. Next weekend I will give it it a proper detail (polish etc) and give it a service.

This car is our new daily driver so looking for a long happy relationship with it

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hello ////////////////////// welcome .............................

Thread Information