Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Thermostat/Temperature Question

Apologies for yet another thermostat thread (been searching forum trying to find a similar situation with no luck)

Have a Vectra 1.9CDTi 120 and it had the standard issue of not heating up when driven at speed (was heating eventually when crawling around town).

Being that i've only had the car a couple weeks the garage that sold it took it in and replaced the thermostat, now it seemingly heats up better but the temp gauge still drops right back to the bottom on longer runs/higher speeds.
    The actual heating is perfectly fine and on full heat the interior is insanely warm therefore the garage thinks theres nothing to worry about.

However, on looking through most of the temperature related threads on here everyone seems to talk as if the guage should go between 80 and 90 and stay there no matter the distance/speed.

Thoughts and/or reassurances would be welcome

Cheers.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c

Trim : ls

Engine : 1800

Year : 04

Mileage : 132000

Being that i've only had the car a couple weeks the garage that sold it took it in and replaced the thermostat, now it seemingly heats up better but the temp gauge still drops right back to the bottom on longer runs/higher speeds.
    The actual heating is perfectly fine and on full heat the interior is insanely warm therefore the garage thinks theres nothing to worry about.

from what you wrote above this is not right the needle should stay around 80- 90 and stay there

it does not go flat to the bottom again on the gauge

i changed my thermostat this is how i know

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I replaced my thermostat (150) and generally it stays around the 85 mark. However, and I think the following is perfectly normal and expected, when I turn the heater control fully hot and put the heater fan on speed 3 or 4 and the car is cruising down a hill for a while, then the temp drops a wee bit. I have seen it go as low as 78.
    Similarly, when stuck in traffic, I have seen it rise to low 90s before fans kick in.

I do not think it should go down to 70 or below though as yours appears to do. Maybe the water pump is not working as efficient as it should be.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : CDTI 150 (Z19 DTH)

Year : 2006

Mileage : 140000

Doesn't sound right to me, take it back to the garage, doesn't sound like they've replaced the stat, maybe done a temp fix hoping that will make the problem go away. My car took ages to get to 85-90 and when it did the needle was still all over the place going back down to nothing and back up again and down when i had a little speed, this was fixed when the stat was replaced, now it gets to temp in under 10 mins and stays there no matter what speed i'm doing. Go back and have them show you where the new stat is, if it's new it will be nice and shiny. They're pulling a fast one, prob took one out of another motor.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by wickedwillie View Post
    I replaced my thermostat (150) and generally it stays around the 85 mark. However, and I think the following is perfectly normal and expected, when I turn the heater control fully hot and put the heater fan on speed 3 or 4 and the car is cruising down a hill for a while, then the temp drops a wee bit. I have seen it go as low as 78.
    Similarly, when stuck in traffic, I have seen it rise to low 90s before fans kick in.

I do not think it should go down to 70 or below though as yours appears to do. Maybe the water pump is not working as efficient as it should be.

spot on

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by CH-VECTRA-ELITE View Post
    Doesn't sound right to me, take it back to the garage, doesn't sound like they've replaced the stat, maybe done a temp fix hoping that will make the problem go away. My car took ages to get to 85-90 and when it did the needle was still all over the place going back down to nothing and back up again and down when i had a little speed, this was fixed when the stat was replaced, now it gets to temp in under 10 mins and stays there no matter what speed i'm doing. Go back and have them show you where the new stat is, if it's new it will be nice and shiny. They're pulling a fast one, prob took one out of another motor.

again spot on

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I don't know about the 1.9CDTi engine, but certainly on the Z18XE (1.8 petrol) engine, whilst it's possible and cheaper to change just the thermostat, there's a reason Vauxhall only supply the thermostat complete with a new housing. I replaced just the stat on mine, and it was fine for a few months (temp around 85C all the time), it failed again. I decided to replace the housing as well this time, so got a genuine GM one. It's been fine ever since.

Examining the old housing revealed that a groove had been worn in the housing by the brass disc of the thermostat, meaning that it couldn't seal properly. So if this is true of the 1.9CDTi as well, I'd get them to do the job properly - ie fit a full housing as Vauxhall recommend, not cut corners by fitting a new stat in an old housing.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers for the replies. Gonna have to consider taking it back up with the Garage.
    Anyone able to point me to a picture or a really good description of where the theremostat is on the 120bhp engines so i can have a bit more ammo when i chase them up?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : saab 93 tid(150)

Trim : sport

Engine : 1.9 z19dth

Year : 2005

Mileage : 63000

Quote Originally Posted by Kaput View Post
    Cheers for the replies. Gonna have to consider taking it back up with the Garage.
    Anyone able to point me to a picture or a really good description of where the theremostat is on the 120bhp engines so i can have a bit more ammo when i chase them up?
    Your better off looking at the how 2 on here that will describe it and with pics aswel even though its for the (150) its in the same place on the (120) mate

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

Trim : design

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rich r View Post
    I don't know about the 1.9CDTi engine, but certainly on the Z18XE (1.8 petrol) engine, whilst it's possible and cheaper to change just the thermostat, there's a reason Vauxhall only supply the thermostat complete with a new housing. I replaced just the stat on mine, and it was fine for a few months (temp around 85C all the time), it failed again. I decided to replace the housing as well this time, so got a genuine GM one. It's been fine ever since.

Examining the old housing revealed that a groove had been worn in the housing by the brass disc of the thermostat, meaning that it couldn't seal properly. So if this is true of the 1.9CDTi as well, I'd get them to do the job properly - ie fit a full housing as Vauxhall recommend, not cut corners by fitting a new stat in an old housing.
    On the 120 /150 you have to replace the whole housing and the coolant temp sensor - the 150 is easy - the 120 is a bit more challenging - which is why they probably haven't changed it

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information