User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine Oil, Transmission Oil and noises.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Engine Oil, Transmission Oil and noises.

Hi guys, this is my first thread and I'm new to vectra's. I was hoping for some guidance from those of you in the know.

I bought a cdti 120 last month and as it is on 110k miles I was quite nervous at buying a vehicle with this mileage, but the car seemed sound and most of the cars I looked at just didn't seem in good enough condition. Love the MPG and it has a nice bit of boot when needed.

I've bought the car for my business I want to start up so a vectra seems to give a good image/impression to have as I turn up at my customers. Prior to my last vehicle which was an LDV Convoy campervan lol. I'll leave the reasons to swap to your imagination, but if a stranger turned up to your home in an old ldv van, you'd run a mile right. and struggle to trust him..lol..

To cut a long story short; I love the car but I'm wondering if I've discovered the reason why the previous owner wanted rid.

As I've acclimatised to my car over the last couple of weeks, I've started to notice some things that are niggling me. Remember I've been driving an LDV van in the past so driving this car even if it was pulling a caravan without wheels would seem like a better driving experience than my convoy van.

Anyway, I'm so glad to be in the land of the car again and here are my questions....

The gearbox is clunking into 2nd and 3rd. There is also a slight vibration which seems to pulsate at low revs and disappears as the car revs reach 2k etc. The vibration is very subtle and you can only feel it through the gear stick. I.E. the passenger can't feel the vibration. I'm not familiar with this from previous vehicles I've had and was wondering if this is a fault or pending doom of my gear box.??????

Is this common from vectra gear boxes to be a bit clunky in the lower gears or has my car got a fault.?

I've had this problem before on a car and it was remedied with a thicker gear box oil.

Does anyone know of a procedure to check the gear box is ok.? And if I was to give a thicker gearbox oil a try, what oil would the more knowledgeable of you advise?

My second issue is a two parter:
    1. Are there any known issues with using a slightly thicker engine oil. I'd like to use a 5w-40 to help see if it will smooth the engine running. I can see that it's okay according to the service history states 0w-30 or higher. But does anyone know different.??
    2. the second part is 'What is with this so called synthetic oil?' As from what I've learned today, you will find it hard to actually buy real synthetic oil. Here is a couple of links for those of you interested in oils. It's quite surprising to learn.
    http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/
    and...
    http://www.synlube.com/synthetic.htm

And if I do go down the slightly thicker oil road, then the spec sheet on Mobil Super 3000 x1 5w-40 This is what I'll use and for those interested is here and rated safe for our cars http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/Mobil/Mobil-3000-x1.pdf

My third issue is the engine runs smoothly enough, I can't fault it. But it sounds a bit tappety when first started. (I used to drive an audi coupe 20v and that had noisy hydraulic tappets) and this car sounds like the same thing. after a short while of driving and the engine warms up, the engine sounds smooth. I'm thinking that slightly noisy tappets are not serious, but is this tapping noise indicative of another fault I should be aware of.??

Lastly, starting sounds a bit laboured, but I've put this down to the battery is not in great condition; it isn't holding a strong charge and if it is left a few days then it doesn't start until the battery is charged (via A/C) and then it starts fine. The Alternator is pumping out 14vdc so seems fine.

Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Great site guys and I hope to be able to give as much as I take in the future as I become a more experienced vectra owner.

Or maybe I should get out while I still can...lol...

Thanks.
    Chris.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Not unusual for Veccy's to feel clunky in the lower gears, especially when cold, suggest a fresh refill of the genuine oil from Vauxhall, 2.4 litres as i recall. Personally, i would stick to 5w-30 fully synthetic for the engine oil, to Vauxhall specs of course, my 120 has 115k on her and i always use 5w-30, which covers ambient temps from -18c to +30c, fine for the UK. I wouldn't use a 0w-30, in my opinion it's just to thin! CDTI's are noisy when cold, so long as it sounds fine when warm, she is ok. The tappets on 120's are not hydraulic and it is part of the 100k service to have them checked and adjusted, perhaps they weren't done, most are not. As for starting, it could be the battery, if it isn't holding charge, any motor factors can test it for you, however, starters appear to be a potential weak spot, one or two threads on here about that.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheer Barney, that's very helpful mate.

I was just looking in my service booklet and can't see any reference to the tappets being done. In fact, I can't see any reference to oil being changed either... ever. Is this normal?

My car is on an 05 plate. I've got dealer stamps for the first 3yrs (2006@16.5k - 2007@47k - 2008@62k) showing nothing but the dealer stamp and date. 2009 doesn't show a service as taken place. It then had its fourth service in 2010@91k where it shows the cambelt as being changed. Then last year when the car reached 104k I can see the pollen, Air & Fuel filter being changed.

What is the point of the service book if it tells you nothing of any real use, and the dealers don't fill them in properly...gimps...

So if I was to take my service booklet seriously, then my car has not had an oil change since new...

They must have used real synthetic oil then eh...??? lol.

Cheers.

Thread Information