Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default right to buy council house

has anyone ever bought a council house on behalf of someone else through right to buy?

My MIL lives in a housing associate house which has 3 beds but because of the gov changes reducing housing benefit for "extra" bedrooms she's now pretty much being forced to look to go to a 1 bed flat. She's lived in this house 25 years and the neighbours are great, we're concerned she'll end up in a 1 bed flat in a crap area plus when she moves she'll lose her right to buy so we're trying to think of ways we could help.

Any experiences welcome.

PS we're in Scotland if that makes a difference.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I bought my Mum's 4-bed council house as an investment and let her go on living in it rent-free until she died then sold it to pay off my own mortgage. Mum wanted to stay in her house and the council wanted her to move to a smaller one to let a family have hers. No problems. (I live in Scotland too).

What I did was to draw up a document which said that I was loaning Mum the money at x% interest and that the interest and repayments would be waived provided that the house was eventually passed to me and noone else. I got a solicitor to do this and to enter it as a charge on the property, in other words with the house as security for the 'loan'. Can't remember the correct term for this but it is essential that you do this or something like it. Didn't cost much and the solicitor was very helpful. This makes sure that if for any reason the house passes to someone else you will get your money back with interest.

Things to remember:
    1. Noone can foresee the future. You may fall out with your MIL or someone else may become her favourite or even con her. She may make a will which passes the house to someone else and you may not know until too late.
    2. If for any reason your MIL comes to need to go into a care home the council will seek to sell 'her' house to pay for the care. Even if she gives the house to you before this the council will say she has deliberately deprived herself of her assets. Councils always win this argument in court, there are lots of precedents. They can go back any number of years.

If you do it properly you will be in the same position as any mortgage holder and you will be guaranteed (or a sure as anything is in this life) to get paid from the proceeds of a sale if anything goes wrong. naturally we expect that nothing will go wrong (didn't for me) but you don't want to find out afterwards.
    Last edited by boba; 18th June 2012 at 20:45.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : Exclusive

Engine : 1.8

Year : 2005

Some housing association places cant be sold, depends on the association and government law, how long has your MIL has been there and if she was in a council house and her terms may have been passed over, which may let you purchase the property.

A friend of mine wanted to buy his, but because he lived in a village, there were terms that if you sold it, someone from the village had certain rights and at the price you paid for it.

You need to get some legal advice to be on the safe side

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

my parents bought a right to buy, and there was a regulation that if sold within a certain period after purchase it had to be sold back to council at purchase price.

If it had planning permission under section 106 then you can only sell to a local person, who meets a very strict criteria, and at a set price.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

we are only making preliminary enquiries at the moment to see if its even a possiblity. I believe even though its a HA house, it still has Preserved Right to Buy because it was a Council House once and was transfered to the HA and my MIL was living there both before and after the transfer.

From what I can see, the rules are only the tenant has the right to buy however a member of the family can be involved in the purchase if they have lived their for 6 months with her. My MIL doesn't have the income to get a mortgage so the only way would be for us to finance it somehow but I wouldn't have thought we could get a mortgage on a house thats going to be in someone elses name?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

can you have a joint mortgage with your mil? if your income is sufficient it wont matter about MIL income really.

Thread Information