Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Engine Flooded

Hi guys, new to the site and have a problem.

Monday morning i was forced to drive through a large puddle whos depth was just over half of the wheel.

I was making good progress and nearly made it through until a land rover decided to pass me instead of waiting and a wave of water went over my roof, and subsequently my engine stalled.

I did try to turn the engine a couple of times (bad mistake?) but it only ticked over, it didnt start.

I was passed by over 8 other land rovers, each send waves under the car and probably into the exhaust pipe and front air intake.

I was pulled out of the puddle, and the engine started first time (after turning two or three times)

masses of white smoke poured from the exhaust and a light knocking from the engine. this is still happening now, altough I have no loss of power or performance.

My questin is, what damage, if any, has been likely caused and what can be done? Thanks in advance

08 Vectra CDTi SRi 1.9 Diesel 150

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The white smoke is more than likely a soaked Cat, amounts of water significant enough to cause hydrolock tend to upset the air/fuel mixture in gasoline engines which would stall the engine. If water is introduced slow enough this effect can cut power and speed in an engine to a point that when hydrolock actually occurs it does not cause catastrophic engine damage.

If an engine hydrolocks while at speed, a mechanical failure is likely. Common damage modes include bent or broken connecting rods, a fractured head, a fractured block, crankcase damage, damaged bearings, or any combination of these. Forces absorbed by other interconnected components may cause additional damage. Physical damage to metal parts can manifest as a "crashing" or "screeching" sound and usually requires replacement of the engine or a substantial rebuild of its major components.

If an internal combustion engine hydrolocks while idling or under low power conditions, the engine may stop suddenly with no immediate damage. In this case the engine can often be purged by unscrewing the spark plugs or injectors and spinning the engine to expel the liquid from the combustion chambers and then restarted. Depending on how the liquid was introduced to the engine, it possibly can be restarted and dried out with normal combustion heat, or it may require more work, such as flushing out corrupted operating fluids and replacing damaged gaskets.

If a cylinder fills with liquid while the engine is turned off, the engine will refuse to turn when a starting cycle is attempted. Since the starter mechanism's torque is normally much lower than the engine's operating torque and momentum this will usually not damage the engine but may burn out the starter. The engine can be drained as above and restarted. If a corrosive substance such as water has been in the engine long enough to cause rusting, more extensive repairs will be required.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Don't you just hate some 4 wheel drive owners (some of them!) and their sanctimonious "I'm all right, get out my way" attitude. What a complete, selfish t**t!!! And I bet he didn't bother to stop!!!
    Last edited by ijk571; 13th June 2012 at 21:17.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The engine has completely cut out now with spanner light shown on the dash, AA guy hooked up his computer and no fault found. He thinks that maybe an injector is broken and the ECU is preventing the engine from starting, although it does turn over as normal.

He listened to each cylinder and cannot hear any issues, there is no water in the fuel or oil and no oil/water mixing.

He is doubtful a rod has bent, although he cant explain what the slight knocking might have been.

I was about to take it to Vauxhall when I got 50mtrs before it cut out and had to have it towed home. (leaving from work after a long nightshift)

Thread Information