User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faulty thermostat on 2004 Vectra??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Faulty thermostat on 2004 Vectra??

I bought a 2004 Vectra 1.8 petrol a week ago and have funny temp readings. In the morning the temp gauge rises up to around 82f but only after driving on free flowing roads for a good 15 minutes. Even when I get on the motorway on the way to work I will do 35 miles and gauge sticks to around 82f. However if on any part of my journey I remain stationary for say a minute the gauge will quickly rise to 90f but no further. Once I get up to speed again in free flowing traffic it takes the car a good five minutes for he temp gauge to return to what I assume is the normal running temp for this car of 82f. I spoke to Vauxhall servicing the first day I get the car after getting to work. The guy said this seems normal but to pop out on my lunch hour and check coolant level. I did and this was right on the correct level. He then said start the car and leave it running for a good ten minutes until temp rises no fn kicks in. I left car running for 20 minutes and the gauge reached as high as 90f but would not o higher than this. As it only reached 90f which is well short of the red zone my fan never kicked in. This has been the pattern of the reading on the temp gauge for the pat week I have had the car. However last night I got in my car and after completing my 30 minute drive the temp gauge did not even move a mm. It was if it was not working. Leaving the car to tick over this morning for ten minutes the gauge appeared o be working again and reached 90f. Coolant level shows tht I am not loosing any fluid. The heater in the car appears to work okay. I felt the top of the radiator and this does not get warn unil several minutes of the car running which I believe is correct. The thermostat housing and pipe from it o the radiator get very got after a few minutes which I guess is Wht it should do. Looking at the coolant water bottle there is a thin pipe which goes in at the highest point on the bottle to the thermostat via a metal pipe halfway. Water appears o be going into the coolant bottle via this pipe when warming up. Is this normal? Was going to change thermostat but it not want to this if it is okay and likely o be a sensor. What if the previous owner has constantly topped up coolant bootle o the point the antifreeze has been very iluted. What this make a difference. Thanks in advance for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thermostat is goosed. About £50 for a complete new unit, or £10 for a stat off ebay. How2 in the how2 section, dead easy to change. Flush the block and rad whilst your doing it, OAT antifreeze from VX is about £16 for 5lt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for taking time to reply. Kinda guessed with my limited knowledge that this was going to be the problem. Could you let me know why someone would change the complete housing and not just the thermostat with such a difference in price? P.s Tested the fan by removing sensor and turning on ignition and it works. Will I just be getting poorer mpg until I get this replaced?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thermostat is goosed. About £50 for a complete new unit, or £10 for a stat off ebay. How2 in the how2 section, dead easy to change. Flush the block and rad whilst your doing it, OAT antifreeze from VX is about £16 for 5lt.

what dasarab said ive got a 1.8 ls 2004 this happened to me this will be using more fuel so get it done when you can

when you get the thermostat fixed
    the temperature gauge takes about 3 miles to get to 86 and the needle will stay there
    thats when your heater is turned to the off position

mine broke around 53000 miles its a common fault on the 1.8

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for advice and link. Car has last 70000 on original Thermostat so not bad I suppose. Would you recommend changing just thermostat or complete housing? If just thermostat would I need a new gasket or just clean old one and use gasket sealant?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The housing can wear, as the brass disc of the thermostat seals against it. On mine I replaced just the stat -but after a few months it started leaking again. Changed the housing for a genuine GM one (which comes with a new stat, gasket and temperature sensor) and it's been fine ever since. On examining the old housing, there's a groove that's been worn by the stat pressing on it, and it's evident that this was preventing the stat from closing properly.

I'd get a genuine GM housing/stat/sensor unit. As above - about £50 for the housing, £15 for 5 litres of antifreeze. Will take you about half an hour to do the job. If you're using a full housing, it's simply a case of undoing the bottom rad hose, draining out the coolant into a bowl. Then undo the pipes and wiring on the thermostat housing, undo the three bolts, remove it. Clean mating area, fit new one with new gasket, reattach hoses and wiring, then refill and bleed the coolant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Meerkatonacid View Post
    Thanks for advice and link. Car has last 70000 on original Thermostat so not bad I suppose. Would you recommend changing just thermostat or complete housing? If just thermostat would I need a new gasket or just clean old one and use gasket sealant?
    as rich r said that is the correct advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New thermostat housing from Vauxhall which was only £50 and £17 for 5 litres of long life anti freeze as advised by Rich. All working pefectly and now after only 5 minutes of driving in the morning it reaches 89c and sits there perfectly. thanks for all advice which inspired me to do it myself

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im glad you have sorted it all out your mpg will be better aswell