Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Outrageous advice from DWP

Just had someone from DWP visit our office
    I wanted to find out what the latest support was for businesses interested in taking on new employees, given all the recent hype

I know about the Back to Work schemes, but this is of little benefit to an employer and so we don't participate
    Equally, this doesn't benefit the employee (equates to slave labour)

This started off so well, but basically confirmed what I thought, that there is no financial support
    However, the discussion then went on to Apprenticeships
    Again, we've never participated in these (as we prefer skilled / experienced staff)
    We were then advised that we could use this for any newly emmployed person, prefix the job title with "Apprentice", and the employee will be exempt from the NMW, plus as an employer we will qualify for the full rate of grant
    I was then shown one such advert and the pay was shown in small print as £2.60 per hour

For a real apprentice I can understand this, but this advice was horrendous and appears to be just another loophole to pay employees as a little as possible, as there is no maximum age for an apprentice any more

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have to say that while I agree it's shocking I am not supprised that things are going this way...

We are taking on graduates right now in my work and offering them 15,500 max... Shockingly low sallary IMO.....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Have DWP not informed you of the Work Incentive Scheme which is currently on offer for anyone aged between 18-24 who are currently on benefits?

What area are you based in? I work for a provider that helps people back in to employment and I may be able to pass some details over to one of our office to get in touch in they're based in the same area.

PM if you wish!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by DomS View Post
    Have DWP not informed you of the Work Incentive Scheme which is currently on offer for anyone aged between 18-24 who are currently on benefits?
    What area are you based in?
    We have discussed various options, but as an employer there is little benefit in this scheme
    Under my username it should show Scotland, although the company has employees throughout the UK (Head Office is Glasgow, of which I am CCO)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I know we don't have any offices based in Scotland! What kind of support is it you are looking for from the goverment?
    The Wage Incentive allows you to receive up to £2275 for taking on an employee (aged 18-24) on a full time basis.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by DomS View Post
    The Wage Incentive allows you to receive up to £2275 for taking on an employee (aged 18-24) on a full time basis.
    Discussed this with the representative, but shown them it takes more than this to initially train an employee and they may not be retained
    Hence why we don't participate, and I am quite sure it is the same for many other such employers
    It really is ironic, they promote these schemes, but they are impractical for most SME

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I don't think that's an entirely reasonable attitude. You seem to be saying that you expect the government (ie us taxpayers) to carry the whole cost of the employee even though it's quite likely that for at least some of the time he will be contributing to your business. OK if you can't afford currently to take on any more staff then that's how things are, but don't slag the government for trying to do a bit. You may not have noticed but noone else is particularly well off at the moment ;o).

I don't really agree with your comment about the 'back to work' scheme not benefitting the employee either as at the very least it helps to reinforce a work ethic in someone who has no (recent) work experience. After seeing the Arnold Clark clip about how they found 80% of prospective employees unemployable I'm sure plenty of people could do with even this low level of assistance.
    Last edited by boba; 11th June 2012 at 20:21. Reason: added a bit

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by boba View Post
    I don't really agree with your comment about the 'back to work' scheme not benefitting the employee either
    We have tried two such schemes, they are very similar to the current scheme
    There appears to be a job apathy in the Glasgow area, you might not be aware of it
    Such people would rather remain on benefits and do everything possible to get back on them when they are offered a job

Don't get me wrong, there are some people that want to work, but they are usually very easy to identify (a CV that is like a book, or complete for the last few years)

Equally, when I discuss this issue with other company owners they all seem to be of the same opinion and don't use the schemes, they really haven't changed

As above, the issue was the representative suggesting cheating the system and making a new employee an apprentice; that is just wrong!

Thread Information