0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Starting Problems - My Project

Hi, I am intending to do a bit of a write up on poor starting problems on the Vectra, which hopefully will be of assistance to others, who are experiencing this problem. I am particularly interested in members who have solved their poor starting and how they did it and what they had done previously to try and fix it.
    I have a particular interest in starter motors being the source of this problem and would be very interested in members who have replaced their starters and resolved the issue.
    I don’t want to bog people down with a lengthy questionnaire but would be grateful if members could provide the following info.

1. Details of their vehicle – Model, year, engine
    2. Starting problems encountered i.e. details of how they would start their car
    3. Work they did to rectify the problem
    4. What eventually solved it
    5. Details of any Threads or Posts they created/ posted in an attempt to resolve the issue.

Thanks in anticipation – many members who have suffered poor starting will know how frustrating it is, and there is a lot of information on the Forum – by collating this information to one point hopefully it will be useful to others in the future.
    Thanks,
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Starting problems - my project

Good luck with this project Al. - It appears to be such a common problem with many different causes and cures so I hope you'll get lots of feedback.

1. 2004 1.9cdti 120 estate.
    2. Problem with cold starts only. Required 2 or 3 attempts.
    3. Sputtery start and white smoke from exhaust until engine warmed up indicating unburnt fuel. Original glow plugs were six years old. Multimeter check showed two suspect plugs.
    4. Fitted new set of glow plugs and got first time cold starts.
    5. Forum How2 replace glow plugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Will - glad your sorted at last, Alan. Tried to pm you a couple of days back but system was down again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still working on my current battery issue Al. The cold starting problem I've listed was sorted out 2010 with help of the How2 replace glow plugs - and tips posted by other knowledgeable members. Good luck with your survey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

may help to list which engine your working on?
    Plasma's Tech2 services are now partially open and able to provide services

Come Join our new forum Insignia Owners.com for all your Insignia chat and needs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I first got my 2006 Vectra 1.9cdti 150BHP with 60,000 miles on the clock, 3 years ago,I initially had a bit of a problem starting on cold mornings..It wouldn't fire straight away,but was OK at the 2nd try,and was no problem the rest of the day.
    I took it back to the dealer,who just changed the glow plugs,and it was fine after that.
    Always wait till the red "coil" on the dashboard goes out though,as this confirms the diesel has been warmed up for starting.
    I don't know how long these plugs last,but if anyone is having problems with cold starting,I would put in a new set of plugs first,before trying anything else,as they're cheap enough.
    If it doesn't fix it,a computer diagnostic check should pinpoint the problem
    Last edited by dougsinnott; 1st July 2012 at 16:11. Reason: Engine details

East Mids - Assistant Regional Organiser - Leicestershire Даниил's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cdti 150 56 126k. Never started first time but normally second with black smock. New bosh glow plugs. Battery test. New cam sensor made it a bit better

Fix for me was new crank shaft sensor and now starts first time. All oem parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Vectra 1.9 has been a pain since I replaced the EGR valve, firstly I had an issue with the alternator failing, so I replaced that, within a week the engine (yellow) lights came on and the car went into limp home mode, code indicated excess air (EGR). I had to call out recovery as it would not start at all, and working away from home was the only resort, he cleared the fault code and jump started the car, ran fine for abot a mile and the light came on again. so limped back to my flat. I used my OPCOM and laptop to read and clear the code again, went for a drive and again within a mile light on, as expected. However, as I lived 180 miles from work and could not drive on the M-way in limp home mode, I set up the OPCOM and laptop such that I could clear the code everytime the light came on, maybe not legal but I managed to get home.

Changed the EGR valve and everything seemed resolved, much more power and better MPG. No not solved car now takes at least 30 seconds of cranking before it will fire if at all. This is annoying the neighbours I think as I start work at 7am and leave home at 06:30. the rest of the day its fine starts reasonably well. But if left more than 4 hours its a dog again.

I have changed the Leak off pipes, no difference.
    Glow plugs mmm its a problem all year round and the plugs do nothing above 5 degrees. I did change the Glow pulg on No4 Cylinder, but when removing the old plug it stripped out most of the thread, I am a little dubious about doing the rest.(see below)**

All vacuum pipes have been checked and foud to be in good condition and no fault codes are present.

So I at a loss as to the possible cause.

** The old glow plug that was removed had a very bad cut thread, the diameter was correct but the threads had a flat top, which indicates that the root diameter would be incorrect, therefore it would have been very very difficult to fit in the first place. Not sure of the cars previous history, but give it had 11,000miles when I got it the plugs should not have been changed from the original. Bad QC on the part of GM.

1. Vectra C 2007, 1.9 cdti 120 (8v) 90,000miles
    2. Engine needs to be cranked for over 30 seconds before starting, if it does start that is. Grey smoke after starting, excess fuel???
    3. What eventually solved it - NOT SOLVED YET
    4. Details of any Threads or Posts they created/ posted in an attempt to resolve the issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dougsinnott View Post
    When I first got my 2006 Vectra 1.9cdti 150BHP with 60,000 miles on the clock, 3 years ago,I initially had a bit of a problem starting on cold mornings..It wouldn't fire straight away,but was OK at the 2nd try,and was no problem the rest of the day.
    I took it back to the dealer,who just changed the glow plugs,and it was fine after that.
    Always wait till the red "coil" on the dashboard goes out though,as this confirms the diesel has been warmed up for starting.
    I don't know how long these plugs last,but if anyone is having problems with cold starting,I would put in a new set of plugs first,before trying anything else,as they're cheap enough.
    If it doesn't fix it,a computer diagnostic check should pinpoint the problem

Sorry to piggy back this, but my 2006 1.9CDTi 120 Signum takes about 10 seconds to start up in the morning, with a puff of smoke, but I don't have a red coil on the dash that I have to wait for - should I?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunky. You should have a coil on the dash. Have to wait till the coil goes out to indicate that plugs are warm enough to start the engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information