0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default HIDs and the MOT - The Truth

My car passed its MOT test today, despite having after market HIDs fitted without auto headlamp levelling or any sort of wash wipe system. This won't surprise you, and the year is almost half gone and thankfully there's still no sign of a clampdown on HIDs.

Here's the interesting bit: Whilst waiting in the garage's reception area during the MOT, I started reading a copy of this week's Auto Express that I'd bought to pass the time. It featured a story about a Mitsubishi Evo XI (or V or something similar), registered new in 2004 that had HIDs fitted at the factory, without auto-levelling or wash-wipe, as they weren't legal requirements back then. The owner lived in Northern Ireland, where, it turns out, the new MOT rules have been interpreted differently than in England and Wales (not sure where Scotland stands on this). The NI version of Vosa has told garages to fail such cars on the MOT test because they don't have the levelling/washing system, depsite the fact that the car was fully legal at the time it was first registered. Auto Express asked them to reconsider, and they refused, saying that their stance was the one the rest of the UK would be following. AE then checked with Vosa, who disagreed with their NI counterparts, and said - this is the interesting bit - we interpret the new MOT rules to say that if a car with HIDs has a wash and levelling system, these must be working. If car with HIDs doesn't have these systems though, then we can't check them and we don't fail them on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's cool and that's how I interpreted the new rule. However, you can't really keep running to VOSA every year if a garage fails you. The rule is clear, but VOSA need to write in crayon so the idiots in the garages understand it.
    God knows how some of these people managed to become testers if they suck at comprehension.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the Note of Mitsibishi Evo, Ray (R2XPT) was detailing one for his brother, and it had factory Xenons, WITH NO headlight washers or auto levelling, reason - import apparently.

Was reading the MOT test manual just there - basically some discretion needs to be employed with regards to self levelling - as this is not easily determined.
    Insignia VX-Line Nav CDTI 170.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebellion View Post
    AE then checked with Vosa, who disagreed with their NI counterparts, and said - this is the interesting bit - we interpret the new MOT rules to say that if a car with HIDs has a wash and levelling system, these must be working. If car with HIDs doesn't have these systems though, then we can't check them and we don't fail them on it.
    Which is exactly what ive said a few times now.

post#23
    http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showth...ge3&highlight=

http://mottesters.co.uk/files/specia...n%20Manual.pdf

Section 1.7

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system. Where such systems are fitted, they must work;

So if not fitted there is nothing to be inoperative or other wise defective, so it cant be a fail. So a factory Xenon set up will have these, and can fail if inoperatative or otherwise defective, an aftermarket may not. Notice it also says "May" and not "Must" be fitted with headlight washers. Its all down to interpretation.
    Its all down to interpretation, and if an MOT tester does fail a car for not having them all you can do is go down the route of an appeal and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, my Mot is tomorrow here in Belfast and I was going to change the HIDs for it. Should I chance them now?
    AirBox Mod-Angel Eye head lights-HID 5000k-Colour coded grill-GID to CID-Auto Dim rear view Mirror, Rear Parking Sensors, Signum Fog surrounds, 19" Audi A5 rep Alloys, Eibach 30mm Pro-kit Lowering Springs.
    Northern Ireland Region trip to Knockhill 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Niall83 View Post
    Interesting, my Mot is tomorrow here in Belfast and I was going to change the HIDs for it. Should I chance them now?
    at this time of the night you are mad

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ricky dunn View Post
    at this time of the night you are mad
    I've got the morning to change them. 10min job provided I have the standard bulbs someway in the boot lol
    AirBox Mod-Angel Eye head lights-HID 5000k-Colour coded grill-GID to CID-Auto Dim rear view Mirror, Rear Parking Sensors, Signum Fog surrounds, 19" Audi A5 rep Alloys, Eibach 30mm Pro-kit Lowering Springs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Niall83 View Post
    I think you should change them - I've reread the AE article, and it's the "DVA" you guys have in NI, rather than the normal version of VOSA that we have, and DVA don't leave any room for doubt or interpretation - they say a car with HIDs MUST have the wash and levelling systems. VOSA say such cars MAY have those systems and if they do THEN they must be checked.

So, for England and Wales (I'm still not sure on Scotland) there's no interpretation issue - VOSA say HIDs and no washers are fine, and since no one on here has yet said their car has failed due to HIDs, it seems the test stations fully understand what VOSA want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right I'll be changing them so, not going to be the test pilot on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This particular part of the MOT manual:

"however, it is accepted that it may not be possible
    to readily determine
    the functioning of self levelling
    systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt
    must be given."

Just shows there is scope for discretion. Personally I think they are keeping their backsides covered. We all know the bad headlights are the open reflector type which shouldn't have them.
    Insignia VX-Line Nav CDTI 170.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information