Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default A/C problems. Hissing and whining noise

A few days ago now the hot weather kicked in I decided to give my AC a blast however I noticed as I pulled up in my drive it started making a loudish whining/whiring noise. The noise is only present when the A/C button is turned on and stops when I turn it off. I also noticed when I tested it today that there is a hissing Noise coming from the centre vents. It's most obvious when the engine is idling and you press the AC button there is no need to turn the fans on. The noise gets louder as the engine revs. The AC is cold but not as good as what I would expect. The side vents seem to get a lot colder than the centre vents

Is it likely it just needs a regas or is it likely to be more serious. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot it as my other half has had her hours reduced so things are tight and I can't afford to spend hundreds on AC repairs right now

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Azy View Post
    A few days ago now the hot weather kicked in I decided to give my AC a blast
    Firstly, AC should be used all year round, not just on hot days. Also makes for a great demister in winter when used with the heater.

Little use causes the rubber seals to dry out and thus the refrigerant can escape.

The noise could just be due to the system being low on gas and PAG oil and not being enough to lubricate the AC compressor.

Kwik Fit don't charge if there is a leak, and charge £49 to top up. ATS also offer a top up service - slightly cheaper at £44.99 and again claim not to charge if the system isn't ok. Both use a plug and play machine that an untrained chimp could operate.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

on the same theme not to hijack the thread! yesterday my ac didn,t seem just as cold as previously, like you dave i use mine in the winter months to help demist as per hand book, so do you think time to regas? it was done when i bought the car 16 months ago

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Firstly, AC should be used all year round, not just on hot days. Also makes for a great demister in winter when used with the heater.

Little use causes the rubber seals to dry out and thus the refrigerant can escape.

The noise could just be due to the system being low on gas and PAG oil and not being enough to lubricate the AC compressor.

Kwik Fit don't charge if there is a leak, and charge £49 to top up. ATS also offer a top up service - slightly cheaper at £44.99 and again claim not to charge if the system isn't ok. Both use a plug and play machine that an untrained chimp could operate.
    Thanks for your reply. I don't use it a lot during the winter but do periodically for demisting windows and what not. Is it likely the gas has come so low to be making such noises Without a leak in the system, I hear stone chips to the compressor is common with the vectra-c

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Air vents

Quote Originally Posted by Azy View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I don't use it a lot during the winter but do periodically for demisting windows and what not. Is it likely the gas has come so low to be making such noises Without a leak in the system, I hear stone chips to the compressor is common with the vectra-c

Sorry to hijack this but i cant post a new problem iv got a vectra c cdti but its no air coming from the dashboard air vents but the windscreen one is ok so are the feet vents any help please thanks

Thread Information