Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Brake fluid change

hi all. just a quick one, ive posted a while ago regarding my brakes feeling poor even though ive done the 314mm upgrade. does anyone know how much it would cost to do a brake fluid change ( nat tyres kwik fit or similar garage) i did ask the guy who fitted my brakes to replace the brake fluid at the same time but i seem to remember him saying he only charged my for a 'shot' of brake fluid (those were his words) i dont know how much fluid is used when doing a full fluid change. im guessing now that he didnt replace the brake fluid, the last week the brakes seem worse than ever. realy have to push the pedal right down to get any real bite on the brakes. thanks ya'll

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : VXR

Engine : 2.8 V6 Turbo (280)

Mileage : 82000

By the sounds of it you've got air in there, whats the brake fluid level like?

It's easy enough to do it yourself fella. I've just done mine. All you need to do is get an visi-bleed (about £4) and about 2 litres of brake fluid.

1. Jack the car up on the back, either side. Modern cars with ABS don't need bleeding in any order contrary to belief.

2. Remove the wheel and locate the bleed nipple on the top of the caliper.

3. Connect the visi-bleed to the nipple, with the other end in a bottle. Remove the header tank cap and top up until its wedged.
    The next bit, you'll get better results with two people, although it can be done with one.

4. Open the bleed nipple (10mm spanner) and push the pedal to the floor. If you've got two people, shut the bleed nipple before lifting the pedal each time. The visi-bleed has a non-return valve so it's no essential. You can slowly pump it with the nipple open the whole time.

5. The brake fluid will come out quite a dark murky colour. Keep pumping it through until clear golden oil is seen, and if there were any bubbles coming out, pump until they are all gone. IMPORTANT: DO NOT LET THE HEADER TANK ON TOP OF THE MASTER CYLINDER EMPTY AND LET AIR IN. You'll just pull air into the system and be back to square one.

6. Tighten up the bleed nipple and pump up the brakes until they are hard, then check for leaks.

7. Put the dust cap back on the nipple, replace the wheel and crack on with the next one. Just make sure the header tank is topped up again before starting the next caliper.

8. Do this on all corners. On the last wheel make sure the header tank is just below the MAX line, replace the cap and take it for a careful drive checking your brakes at slow speed before hammering them.

HTH mate, if it had photos it would be a HOW2

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Lada

Trim : Riva

Engine : 6.0 V12

Year : 1954

Just get someone to help you, if the garage did bleed them that means the nipples are all free so for the price of a lt of break fluid and a 10mm spanner youll be done.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by rob warrington View Post
    does anyone know how much it would cost to do a brake fluid change ( nat tyres kwik fit or similar garage) i did ask the guy who fitted my brakes to replace the brake fluid at the same time
    The only way to know is to phone up and ask them
    I would suggest about £50, however a dealership will also be around this price (the dealership I used charged £30, but that was due to it being included with the service at the same time)
    Surprised the person that replaced the brakes couldn't replace the fluid at the same time, that would have made sense

When the brake fluid is changed, add a record to the Service Book, there is a section for this, that way you will know when the next one is due

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the guy who changed the brakes is a top guy so i didnt have any reason to suspect he hadnt done a full fluid change, its only as ive never felt any real differance in the brakes from standard, and as late like i said i feel i have to really press the pedal hard to notice any decent amount of braking, im thinking if doing a brake fluid change is a cheap job it might be worth doing to rule it out as a possible cause for poor braking

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by CDTiMatt View Post
    By the sounds of it you've got air in there, whats the brake fluid level like?

It's easy enough to do it yourself fella. I've just done mine. All you need to do is get an visi-bleed (about £4) and about 2 litres of brake fluid.

1. Jack the car up on the back, either side. Modern cars with ABS don't need bleeding in any order contrary to belief.

2. Remove the wheel and locate the bleed nipple on the top of the caliper.

3. Connect the visi-bleed to the nipple, with the other end in a bottle. Remove the header tank cap and top up until its wedged.
    The next bit, you'll get better results with two people, although it can be done with one.

4. Open the bleed nipple (10mm spanner) and push the pedal to the floor. If you've got two people, shut the bleed nipple before lifting the pedal each time. The visi-bleed has a non-return valve so it's no essential. You can slowly pump it with the nipple open the whole time.

5. The brake fluid will come out quite a dark murky colour. Keep pumping it through until clear golden oil is seen, and if there were any bubbles coming out, pump until they are all gone. IMPORTANT: DO NOT LET THE HEADER TANK ON TOP OF THE MASTER CYLINDER EMPTY AND LET AIR IN. You'll just pull air into the system and be back to square one.

6. Tighten up the bleed nipple and pump up the brakes until they are hard, then check for leaks.

7. Put the dust cap back on the nipple, replace the wheel and crack on with the next one. Just make sure the header tank is topped up again before starting the next caliper.

8. Do this on all corners. On the last wheel make sure the header tank is just below the MAX line, replace the cap and take it for a careful drive checking your brakes at slow speed before hammering them.

HTH mate, if it had photos it would be a HOW2
    i was looking for a how 2 so thanks haha, always left the brakes to a garage but it sound an easy enough task

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Mk1 renault scenic... I know I know but it drives

Trim : Basic

Engine : 1.6 16v

Year : 2003

I'll happily bleed them with ya mate if you can't find anyone closer.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hiya buddy, might take you up on that offer haha. theres an ats garage at the top of our road so just wondering how much a place like that charges for a full fluid change. but then can i trust them to do just that and not a bit of a top up. just spoke to the mrs and she says the brakes of late have been even worse. im hoping it is just a case of a fluid change. my brakes were done in feb 2011 so if my guy who did the brakes did change the fluid its not 2 years old yet.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : VXR

Engine : 2.8 V6 Turbo (280)

Mileage : 82000

It's surprisingly easy, when you taking the hose off the caliper can become a bit of a messy job and it's just one more place it could leak from.. like I found out today when testing the pedal before putting the wheel back on. Give it a bash, from the way it sounds, they couldn't get much worse than they are now and will only get better.

I wouldn't trust a garage to replenish the full system, I've been had before. I guess the dealer didn't think I would dip the engine sump immediately after getting the keys back from them, only to be greated with thick dark oil... but then again I'm a cynical git.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by CDTiMatt View Post
    It's surprisingly easy, when you taking the hose off the caliper can become a bit of a messy job and it's just one more place it could leak from.. like I found out today when testing the pedal before putting the wheel back on. Give it a bash, from the way it sounds, they couldn't get much worse than they are now and will only get better.

I wouldn't trust a garage to replenish the full system, I've been had before. I guess the dealer didn't think I would dip the engine sump immediately after getting the keys back from them, only to be greated with thick dark oil... but then again I'm a cynical git.

how long did it take you? to make matters worse haha im going away on monday so we need the car for a 3 hour drive, thats why im thinking i need to get it sorted before, before you all say im mad to leave it this late, i havent used the car for a couple of weeks and the wife has only just tonight told me how bad they are, i did drive the car tonight and their not as bad as she says but not great either

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information