User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Are your teenage children in part time employment?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 40.00%
  • No

3 60.00%

Thread: Young Scots are 'unsuitable' for work

VIP-Member
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : `

Trim : `

Engine : `

Year : `

Mileage : `

Question Young Scots are 'unsuitable' for work

Was anyone else not surprised to see this report by Arnold Clark today?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-18158510

Many potential employees were also shocked at the number of hours they were expected to work and the report said "the biggest single issue causing difficulties for the transition from school to employment
    It certainly doesn't surprise me. Take away the fact its Arnold Clark, looks like their training arm GTG has just been prepared to state the obvious. Personally I blame a lack of jobs for school age teenagers these days. I started work at 12 delivering papers, 6-8am Monday to Saturday for the sum of £3.50 a week, then at 13 I also starting work for Wm Low stacking shelves after school, and if I wasnt doing that in the holidays I was either picking Berries, Potatoes or working for my dad who was a self employed carpet fitter. How many people here's children have part time work? Working after school gives children a taste of whats to come, it gives them a work ethic, in my mind that is what is missing from children's lives these days, they get everything for free and that breeds laziness imo. I know where I live it certainly appears to be bad, many people just want to live off the state, they get that much for free they would need a job paying around £25k a year to come off the "brew". My step daughters boy friend is 22 and hasn't worked for 3 years, not because their isnt work but because he's a lazy work shy b'stard.

So just out of interest, how many people here's teenage children actually are in part time after school employment?
    "We are not some sort of dictatorship!"

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My eldest daughter was at Christmas but since then there is sod all in Thatcher's Town (Grantham)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That's bull**** its the lack of work

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra vxr

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 v6 turbo

Year : 2008

Mileage : 31000

Quote Originally Posted by DasArab View Post
    Was anyone else not surprised to see this report by Arnold Clark today?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-18158510

It certainly doesn't surprise me. Take away the fact its Arnold Clark, looks like their training arm GTG has just been prepared to state the obvious. Personally I blame a lack of jobs for school age teenagers these days. I started work at 12 delivering papers, 6-8am Monday to Saturday for the sum of £3.50 a week, then at 13 I also starting work for Wm Low stacking shelves after school, and if I wasnt doing that in the holidays I was either picking Berries, Potatoes or working for my dad who was a self employed carpet fitter. How many people here's children have part time work? Working after school gives children a taste of whats to come, it gives them a work ethic, in my mind that is what is missing from children's lives these days, they get everything for free and that breeds laziness imo. I know where I live it certainly appears to be bad, many people just want to live off the state, they get that much for free they would need a job paying around £25k a year to come off the "brew". My step daughters boy friend is 22 and hasn't worked for 3 years, not because their isnt work but because he's a lazy work shy b'stard.

So just out of interest, how many people here's teenage children actually are in part time after school employment?
    Totally agree I also helped harvest potatoes on a local farm during my October holidays .when I was 14 I went through a sheep shearing coarse and helped to shear sheep on local farms in my summer holidays then when I was 16 I started a 2 year what was called in Scotland a yts scheme and made the grand total of £29 a week (1987-1989) and at the weekends I worked to try and top up the measly some i got as a wage but I was happy and was earning and had pride . young people nowadays think they should just sail in to a job and earn big amounts straight away . I have worked hard to get we're I am now and have never been out of work. I believe if you have a can do attitude to work and learn and not to have a chip on your shoulders you will always be in a work.as said ther are to many lazy b.......d out there that don't want to work and sponge of us hard workers and they think they are above do doing the crap low paying jobs out there IMO

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If these youngsters were working at Arnold Sharks, their real reaction was probably "we're shocked at the BS we have to tell the Customer just to strong-arm them into buying a car".

VIP-Member
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : `

Trim : `

Engine : `

Year : `

Mileage : `

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDD88 View Post
    That's bull**** its the lack of work
    And that's partly down to the amount of unskilled foreign workers taking the unskilled jobs that many school age children would have done in the past. Strawberry picking, was always done by school children during the summer holidays but you have a wander around any Berry farm in Perthshire or Angus in July and they are full of eastern Europeans, hardly a Scot in sight. Im sure the fields of Middle England are the same these days. Also take my wife's work, Scotmid, they wont employ anyone below 18 years old, so that doesnt help either.
    "We are not some sort of dictatorship!"

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : GSI

Trim : (vxr/irmy)

Engine : 3.2 v6

Year : 2004

I blame the foreign workers i worked in as a chicken catcher and the factory all the chickens we caught was full of foreigners and they ended up taking over our jobs "catching chickens" and now i don't think there is 1 British person in there now not even the owner of it is British now.

Same when i was a fencer it was all scottish ppl when i first started now there is only 1 scot and that's my step dad. lol

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : SXi

Engine : 2.2

Blame the foreign workers is a cop out. I did paperounds had a 5-10 job week days after school in a packaging factory when I was 14 as I lied about my age to get it. Its well known the UK has become a bunch of lazy lay abouts who blame the foreign workers for not getting a job and then sitting on their ass all day.

Said it before and I'll say it again. You get beneifits for 2 months at which point if you have not found a job you get 50% for another two months after that you get nothing.

Foreign workers if they have not worked in this country for a minimum of 6 months they get no benefits.

It would sort this country out and put money back in the pockets of the people who go out to work for it.

My mate employs two Polish workers. Why? Because they graft and he openly admits it what they can do in a days work would take a British builder 3 days. He pays them the same as he would a British builder but the efficency and reliability has improved and he is turning over more money. Makes sense really!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I know everyone on here hates car dealerships but Arnold Clark do a lot of good and give opportunities to a huge number of kids every year through apprenticeships, not a lot of companies do that now a days. For that they are due credit.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I never worked as a teenager, never had a paper round either. I left school at 16 straight into a full time job as a junior at an architectural practise. This included day release to college with the hours:
    Mon 9:00a.m to 9:30p.m
    Tues 9:00a.m to 9:30p.m
    Wed to Fri: 9:00a.m to 5:00p.m

Yes more hours than school but certainly didn't shock me.

I firmly believe there is work out there. I recently laid a young lad off and have helped him find new employment by advising where to look. Within 6 weeks he gained new employment in a similar field to his works with me. This isn't to say there are people out there who are skilled where there are few jobs or in a bad area, but the government have made it very easy to sit at home these days. Genuine claimers will always struggle to get the government assistance, but the workshy and idle seem to know every trick in the 'free money' book to retain their free lifestyle and enjoy the sun, latest technologies, bright white reeboks and holidays.

Thread Information