Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

Trim : design

Default MOT Pre Check

Just about to go out and give my 2004 1.9cdti (120) its pre MOT checkover - it runs out end of this month. I always get it up on the ramps and have a good look over checking all the wheel bearings, steering, brakes, springs, lights,etc. Always carefully check brake pipes and then when everything looks ok will spray it all underneath with Underbody sealant. The tester I use moans like hell - so I usually let it dry properly before taking it for the test and I usually get an advisory saying that the brakepipes are covered in sealant.......... but hey thats not a bad thing and wouldn't put me off buying a car.! At the moment round here they are doing MOT's for around £30!
    I always take mine in on a Friday - the testers are usually in a better mood with the weekend coming up. Oh, and never take your car to a main dealer for MOT that deals in your make of car. I once took a Vauxhall Victor I was running (many years ago) to my local Vauxhall garage - it failed on everything - not happy I drove it to another small independent and it passed with flying colours.
    Just wondering if any others have any useful tips to add - other than slip the tester a few bob!
    Last edited by alcutler; 17th May 2012 at 09:22.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I used sealant once, never again
    Just present the car "as is"

Buckle all the seat belts, including the drivers seat

Usually present the car with the front tyres at or near the 1.6mm limit
    They will often quote for two new tyres, as this is easy money for them

I usually have the car serviced in the four weeks prior to MoT (but not at the same time)
    That way any obvious issues should be identified and so the chances of failing are reduced

I made the above mistake a few years ago, had the MoT before the service (it was just the way the service intervals worked out)
    The car failed on emissions, even though it had a new exhaust and had passed at previous service
    Took the car back to the original dealership and after they made some phones calls they agreed to retest there and it passed

In general modern cars (up to 5 years old) don't tend to fail on major points, it is usually all minor silly things (bulbs near end of life or failed, etc)

Making an appointment for a Friday (or any) afternoon is a good tactic
    However if it fails it means waiting until the next day for repair, and if it is a Friday it could be the following Monday until the repair is completed
    Therefore have the MoT carried out well before it expires
    I have all my own cars MoT every 6 months

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for your reply - regarding the Friday afternoon theory - I always do my own repairs so the problem doesn't really apply to me - to be fair I use a garage that I have used for over 30 years with the same tester - I know him quite well but he doesn't do me any favours and I would never expect him to.He is always fair and will take me into the workshop to point out any problems and he knows that whatever needs doing will be done properly - so we have a good understanding.
    Not sure about the 6monthly MOT - its bad enough once a year.
    Good point about getting done well in advance - two of my kids have recently bought cars to me for MOTs with only a couple of days left and both have needed work that has needed them to be off the road and them without their cars for a day or two. I'm sure they have got the message now and will let me know within a month of it running out.

Another good point - is to always present your car clean inside and out which is a good indication to the tester that the car is looked after and well maintained.

Cramlington Northumberland, V6 Jaguar S-type Sport
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar S-Type V6

Trim : Sport

Engine : Petrol

Year : 2003

Quote Originally Posted by alcutler View Post
    Just about to go out and give my 2004 1.9cdti (120) its pre MOT checkover - it runs out end of this month. I always get it up on the ramps and have a good look over checking all the wheel bearings, steering, brakes, springs, lights,etc. Always carefully check brake pipes and then when everything looks ok will spray it all underneath with Underbody sealant. The tester I use moans like hell - so I usually let it dry properly before taking it for the test and I usually get an advisory saying that the brakepipes are covered in sealant.......... but hey thats not a bad thing and wouldn't put me off buying a car.! At the moment round here they are doing MOT's for around £30!
    I always take mine in on a Friday - the testers are usually in a better mood with the weekend coming up. Oh, and never take your car to a main dealer for MOT that deals in your make of car. I once took a Vauxhall Victor I was running (many years ago) to my local Vauxhall garage - it failed on everything - not happy I drove it to another small independent and it passed with flying colours.
    Just wondering if any others have any useful tips to add - other than slip the tester a few bob!
    My first question is this.... are you a qualified MOT tester? No is the answer I suspect! Soooooo ok you say you check over your brake pipes then cover them with under car sealant. My first point being is how do you know you haven't missed something that a trained qualified person would have picked up on? My second point is by covering your pipes you are or could be hiding the missed faults. For safety reasons alone. If I was a qualified tester (Which I am not) I for one would fail the car for this reason. Break pipes are not an expensive fix however faulty ones could cost you or a loved ones life. So I say don't hid them just to save a couple of bob! This should be an automatic fail in my book. good luck with your MOT anyways :0)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

In reply to your first point - you are correct I am not an MOT tester but I am a qualified time served mechanic. If you read my post properly you would see it says 'carefully check brake pipes and then when everything looks ok' - I don't understand what is difficult to understand about that, but it means give all the brake pipes a thorough examination to ensure there is no excessive corrosion, or leaks and that none of the flexible hoses are split, damaged or leaking. Can I also add that when I bought the car the first thing I did was to give it a thorough going over and as well as many other things replaced all vulnerable brake pipes ie those that are exposed to to wheel arch areas, and used copper tubing. I have the equipment and fittings to make up my own runs of brake pipe, and have made and fitted miles of the stuff over the years. I also replaced all the flexible hoses and two rear calipers.
    The idea of spraying the underneath of the car is to prevent corrosion - not to 'hide missed faults' - If I come across faults they are rectified and hopefully the sealant which is Waxoyl based will prevent a reoccurrance.
    Same applies with the sills on Vectras - the tester cannot examine them because of the plastic trim covering them - how do you know what condition your sills are underneath the covers - I know what condition mine are in because I've taken then off twice and treated them with sealant.
    I am as safety concious as anyone on these Forums and your insinuation that I would risk mine or anyone else's life to save a 'couple of bob' is insulting.
    As you say you are not an MOT qualified tester - if you were you would not be in the job for long if you failed cars for being undersealed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As I understand it the tester needs to be able to examine the brake pipe (able to see the material), so using a sealant prevents this
    An overzealous tester might put that as a fail, as they can't complete the check without removing some of the sealant

The only place I have ever seen the sealant is on the chassis itself, not on any of the moving or attached components
    I know some people apply sealants to the exhaust

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Its difficult spraying underneath the car and not getting any on the brake pipes, fuel pipes or any where else for that matter - but I wouldn't spray an exhaust system - you would smell it for weeks after burning off and I would think a potential fire risk when first put on and running the engine.

I've never had a problem (other than an advisory) - and I've always done it on every car I've owned - as I've said above the sills are part of the MOT - how do you examine them on a Vectra. Most modern cars now have steel pipes covered in a plastic coating - personally I always use copper as it lasts and is a lot easier to work with - a bit more expensive but good value in the long run.
    Last edited by alcutler; 17th May 2012 at 16:02.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by alcutler View Post
    Its difficult spraying underneath the car and not getting any on the brake pipes, fuel pipes or any where else for that matter
    Sounds like the sealent is being sprayed on without consideration for those parts then, it is only supposed to be applied to the chassis; such parts should be removed, disconnected, covered, etc
    Where such parts cannot be removed then other types of sealant can be used (brushed rather than sprayed)

There is no issue with the sealant being applied to the exhaust
    There wouldn't be any smell as there are different types of sealant and providing the correct type is used

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just an update - took it for its test this morning - I know its a Tuesday and broke my 'take it on a Friday' rule but my plans to take it last Friday were scuppered and I was running out of time. Gave it its usual thorough going over at the weekend and then gave it its annual coating of sealant. Used Tetrosyl Schultz this time which gives a nice protective coating, that repels water and dries in a couple of hours. Passed without any advisories and the examiner even complemented me on the condition of the car - so well pleased!
    Just about to start my other car which is due in about 3 weeks

Cramlington Northumberland, V6 Jaguar S-type Sport
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar S-Type V6

Trim : Sport

Engine : Petrol

Year : 2003

I never meant to be insulting. I'm leaving my brake pipes as they are meant to be. This is so they can be seen and changed when they are coming to the end of their lifespan. Each to their own mate. Congrats on the pass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information