Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default estate roof rails fitted

well i have gone ahead and fitted my roof rails for my xp estate.

was not too bad but as people have said on here, taking your time and not rushing is key.

it took me my and my bro inlaw 3 hours to do all in.

i took some pics but i'm waiting for my phone to charge up.i'll post them up with a kind of how too.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

pics as promised.
    taking down the front interior light which un clips there are three screws under the light plastic. roof grabbers(handles)and sunvisors all unscrew but the little clips where the sunvisors go imto has a little tab facing the winscreeen which you slide out to be able to take off.
    the front windscreen pillar trim just pull off after you remove the plastic cap at the top. the same goes for the middle pillar and the rear pillar.
    it also helps to unbolt the seat belt on the rear pillar which allows you to move it completley out the way for better room (access).

there are then other bits of clips down the length of both sides where cargo nets get clipped into. these just unscrew.
    lastly the rear trim at the back of the roof lining just unclips.

now the roof lining will drop down. i planned on removing it out of the back of the car but i did'nt want do damage it at all so i worked with it in place and did one side at a time theres plenty of room but this is upto you.
    right. the curtain airbags,with these obviously care and attention is required . there are three anchor points at the rear of the car right above the very back window undo these then there are two more screws on above the rear door and one above the front door these hold two metal plates which after you undo the screws slide forwards(i think, one way or another)this then allows the airbag to move away slightly with enough room to get access though to the fixing point for the rails .

now my only concern was. is the existing trim on the roof bolted underneath. well it is'nt it just pulls off but be carefull when you do, i advise you work from rear to front of the car as you need to make sure you keep the front part intact where the winscreen is as you will cut this to length afterwards.

now there are 4 anchor points down the length of the car eitherside .as it stood the two most front ones are cast metal which where bolted from under neath these holes we use. now the two most rear ones were plastic these two i just drilled of the rivets which hold the plastic its very easy dont panick you dont need these anymore . when these were remove just re poped with some more rivets to cover the holes.

right, around the areas of where the plastic clips were, you will feel soft areas where the new holes are to be aligned up with the roof rails you don't have do drill these they are already there the pins on the rails just puncture the holes (it also helps for keeping it sealed)and bolt on from underneath.
    with every thing lined up i just used some clear silicone as well as the rubbers which are atatched to the bars( if not just cut some from an old inner tube or whatever)this is just for peace of mind probably un nessasry.
    then on to the car and simply bolt on from under neath this is done using m5 -m6 nuts with 10pence size penny washers mine was with the rails when i removed them ( but just so you know they are the same as the ones holding the two front existing metal anchor clips on the roof ).

then av a cup of tea take ten minutes (may be av a dump)
    now the rails are on the car alighn the existing trim you took off and place it back down into the bottom of the winscreen where it would sit and measure where it needs to be cut .i cut mine so it sat underneath the front of the rail the is a plce for it to sit take ya time on the first one then cut it ,when ya happy it fits you can easily take a measurement for the other side.then these just clip back on .

now the obvious thing is then to refit every thing back in reversal .do this and admire your work with a beer and pat ya self on the back.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

two anchor plates with one screw for each undo and slide forwards (or backwards)

the rear of the airbag there are three scews to undo this helps with the previous two screws to allow enough room to get access for bolting the rails on

front existing clips remove by unbolting from underneath

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

now the rear clips where these need to be drilled out and i removed them .you will notice the areas that are clen this is the soft spot where the rails punch through.

bars on now

fitting of the trim which needs to be cut

hope this helps sorry its long winded bust best i could do

Thread Information