User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1.9 Cdti 120 Z19DT bad starting FINALLY FIXED!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 1.9 Cdti 120 Z19DT bad starting FINALLY FIXED!!!!!!!

Hi Everyone,

For the last 4 months i have been scanning dozens of posts regarding the mysterious poor starting of the 1.9 cdti 120.

Basically the car was struggling to start once left for more than an hour or so, i read numerous posts about removing coolant sensor, glow plugs & relays leaking injector seals, fuel running back to the tank and leak off pipes etc....

The car seemed to start better if i turned the ignition on and waited for the fuel pump to prime, if i did this 3-4 times it generally seemed better. This lead me to believe that there was an air leak in the fuel line.

Steve1.9cdti suggested changing the starter motor, i must admit i didn't see how that was going to help, the starter seemed to turn the engine fine.

After listening to another Vectra at work starting, it did seeem to turn the engine over faster than mine. so I bit the bullet and ordered a motor, �85 brand new from ebay (allcarparts). The local garage put it on for me today for �80. What a difference it has made, the car fired straight up and turns over so fast on start up. I was ready to throw the towel in with the car, the poor starting symptoms didn't seem to make any sense. I'm no expert but i can only assume that by cycling the ignition 3-4 times it was heating the diesel more, therfore requiring less compression (initially generated by the starter motor) to fire up.

For �190 (�85 if you DIY) the car is back to its best.

My advise to anyone who is having the common starting issues, listen carefully to the starter motor, if it sounds even slightly slow or laboured change it

I hope this helps

Stu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Price should have read 85 pounds.

Got it here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Z...#ht_2549wt_992

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

Trim : design

Hi, I am a strong believer in the starter motor being the problem with these engines, and have suggested this on several other threads (which unfortunatley I can't access now on this new site) - I had changed all the usual suspects and couldn't cure my starting problem on my 1.9 cdti (120)- like you Steve1.9cdti suggested the starter motor and like you I wasn't convinced - however I did it and it starts first click every time. Glad your sorted

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

right im gona do this and bite that bullet this weekend hope it works if not will dell starter motor on ebay cheers nice bike too mate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I really hope it does for you pal, it was driving me crazy. Update this when you do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

ok tried what you said my mare has the 150 cdti i have the 120 his starter motor sounds high pitch mine little lower like its not as fast his sounds faster and noisier in engaging mine its sounding tired wish i could post vids on here for people to listen to

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

Trim : design

Quote Originally Posted by bobbleheadbarney View Post
    ok tried what you said my mare has the 150 cdti i have the 120 his starter motor sounds high pitch mine little lower like its not as fast his sounds faster and noisier in engaging mine its sounding tired wish i could post vids on here for people to listen to
    I take it your battery is ok and fully charged - if yours sounds sluggish and slower than your mates I would change it - make sure you get the right motor the 120 is slightly different than the 150

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When i went to view and test drive my cdti 120 57reg it seemed to take a while to start which the salesman said was normal, i said i would have it if the poor starting was sorted, fitted a brand new starter which turned over twice as fast and fired up instantly. The cdti must need a high rpm starter to fire it up correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

battery is sound alt seems ok 2wheelsstu is it possible to send you a vid via phone see if it was like yours mate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by frasedeb View Post
    When i went to view and test drive my cdti 120 57reg it seemed to take a while to start which the salesman said was normal, i said i would have it if the poor starting was sorted, fitted a brand new starter which turned over twice as fast and fired up instantly. The cdti must need a high rpm starter to fire it up correctly.
    yer i have done loads of research ans 2wstu seems to hit the mark i think its the starter motor just wish it would go completely then i would be 100%

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information