Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Why Are Autoglass so Rubbish?

Someone started a thread recently about a chip in their windscreen and wanted advice on using Autoglass, and I wrote that I hope they would do a better job on his car than they did for me. This is what I wrote:

"Let's hope they're not cowboys like my local Autoglass branch, they came out to look at a chip and said it can't be repaired because it's two small chips next to each other, so I bought a repair kit from Halfords and repaired it myself and it's at least as good as Autoglass would have done. 8 months later and I got another chip, phoned Autoglass again and the stroppy cow on the phone first accused me of trying to claim for the chip they'd already seen, so I told her it's in a different location on the screen and their technician would be able to see that when he comes out, then she said well that means you've now got two separate unrepaired chips on the same screen and that's unsafe so we won't be repairing it anyway. I told her the first chip that they'd refused to repair had been repaired by someone else (didn't mention it was me) so there's only one unrepaired chip, and she replied "that can't be true because our technician said it was impossible to repair". "No", I replied, "it wasn't impossible to repair, your technician just wasn't interested in doing repairs, he wanted to do a replacement because it helps him meet his target. If it's a repair, you lot just aren't interested". I ended up repairing the new chip myself using the kit I already had."

Today, I noticed a stone-impact point and cracks leading from it near the base of the winscreen, where the screen goes past the edge of the dashboard. As my insurer only uses Autoglass as their approved glass company (if you use anyone else, you have to pay the whole bill and claim it back off the insurer, minus the excess, plus there's a low limit on how much they'll pay) I had to bite the bullet and use them. I booked an appointment on the Autoglass website, and the first available date/time was tomorrow from 4pm to 8pm, so I chose that. 10 minutes later, as expected, someone from their call centre phoned up to confirm the details, and he asked if they could do the job earlier in the afternoon, as they had spare slots. That's great, I said, I only chose 4-8pm because that's all that was available to select. We agreed that the job would be done at 3pm. All hunky dory.

Half an hour later, a rudish woman from the local depot phones up and says "actually we're fully booked tomorrow, we'll have to do it some other day". "No", says I, "your website said you can do the job tomorrow, your call centre agent said you can do the job tomorrow, so tomorrow it's going to be". "How can I magic up a slot for you when we're booked up??" she demands. "That's not my problem, you can magic it up the same way your website and your call centre agent can tell me something completely contradictory to what you're now saying. I won't accept being messed around". She puts me on hold to go and speak to the depot manager, and comes back and says they can fit me in between 7pm and 11pm tomorrow. Knowing my luck they'll turn up at 2am....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Sri

Engine : 2.0 turbo

Year : 2005

It was me that posted that up originally and that sounds like a rubbish service tbh. When I called it was a fantastic service and in fact I was called and had the 1st appointment cancelled however they were there the very next day as promised and job was done within 20 mins I couldn't fault them the service was brill must just be what branch you get

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yea, all the issues I've had stem from the local depot - maybe I should move house...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well I'm sorry mate , but no way would I be letting someone fit my windscreen in the dark .
    There is no way , even with artificial lighting you can see the bond/glue line properly .
    And that's coming from a windscreen fitter .

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by poves View Post
    Well I'm sorry mate , but no way would I be letting someone fit my windscreen in the dark .
    There is no way , even with artificial lighting you can see the bond/glue line properly .
    And that's coming from a windscreen fitter .
    You have a point, but I've had never left a windscreen fitter get on with it with my car while I sit nice and cosy inside the house, I always stand and watch the work, even if they keep giving hints they'd like me to go so they can do it however they like...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Rebellion View Post
    You have a point, but I've had never left a windscreen fitter get on with it with my car while I sit nice and cosy inside the house, I always stand and watch the work, even if they keep giving hints they'd like me to go so they can do it however they like...
    Even with you watching , it doesn't make it any less likely that the bondline will be perfect , you can get leaks and windnoise at the best of times , so from my experience fitting a front windscreen in the dark is a no no .
    Another example of big companies , promising customers the world , making the impossible seem possible - and putting you / your family / car at risk in the process .

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The Autoglass guy has just left, so thankfully it was all done during daylight hours, and I have to say he was 300% more professional than any of his colleagues. I almost fell over with shock when he started covering the seats of my car with covers and also the front wings. I told him none of his colleagues who have worked on my car have used covers even when I've asked them to. The last guy, "Dave", when I asked if he had brought covers with him, replied "I've been doing this job 17 years without covers and I've never damaged a car yet...". This guy, on hearing that, replied "I've been doing it for 25 years and it never hurts to be careful". Upon removing the screen he noted that way too much sealant had been applied at the top and wanted to know which technician had done it; after I showed him the old invoice that had "Dave's" name on it, he said "that explains it!". I'm not eating my words though, because this guy did his job so differently to how his last 4 colleagues who have worked on my car did their work, it looks to me like he's the exception not the norm. Still, I will take up his suggestion that I go to the Autoglass website and leave him some positive feedback, as I think he deserves it.

Thread Information