User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricky situation at work, how do I deal with it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Unhappy Tricky situation at work, how do I deal with it?

I have come up against a situation at work which I'm far from happy about and would really like some sound, sensible advice ie not telling them to shove it up their @rse type advice

I work in a small shop and as such, require a lot of technical knowledge in that area (I'm not going to mention the business we're in as it's irrelevant)

Anyhow, I have worked in this shop for 2 years and at another of our shops as assistant manager for a year prior to that, as assistant manager I was full time, however, due to the economic climate the business could not support me on a full time basis so I was moved to the other store as general lacky and on reduced hours, 25-30hrs a week but on a casual basis, last January 2011 i was given a proper contract with my hours being a minimum 25hrs per week.

Now to the present:

My colleague who is on full time hours and the store manager is leaving at the end of the month, I didn't know anything about this untill about a week ago, the other thing I didn't know about was that the owner had already found someone to replace him. Now I know the owner can choose who he wants but I feel very agrieved that I was not even considered, not only do I have the experience of the business (the new guy is being trained) I have an NVQ level 3 Business Admin and IT Qualification, I have over 10 years experience of using Sage (new guy needs training) and the owner is well aware that I want more hours, I have to drive nearly 40 miles a day just to get to work and back.

I am going to be expected to help the new guy find his feet and allthough I don't hold any grudges towards him, I don't see why I should be of any help, I feel I have been shat on from a great hight.

Apart from looking for another job, which I am doing but there's not much about, not withstanding the above, I quite like the job I'm doing now and would be more than happy with more hours and responsibility, not to mention the better salary and bonus scheme (which I don't get included in)

What I want is advice on how I should deal with this situation, I am not the type that works to rule or refuses to take on tasks that are outside my job description, I often go out of my way for the company, including doing deliveries in my own car occassionally.
    Last edited by Andyjarvis; 1st May 2012 at 10:14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Toyota

Trim : Yaris Hybrid

Engine : 1.5 Hybrid

Year : 2021

Mileage : 5525

hi Andy,who do you report to at work? was it the guy that is leaving or is there someone else ..
    If it is only the owner above you then you need to make an appointment and air your grievances with him .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers Soulman, it's the store manager that I report to, however I don't see that raising a grievance will solve anything, the owner has a lot of managerial experience with large companies and is just going to say that it's up to him who he employs and/or promotes.

Hampshire (Near Havant) . .Drives: Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

Year : 2005

Management positions are quite often filled from outside of the companie as they bring new ideas and a new set of eyes to look at how the business is run.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

A simple 'can you advise me why I was not considered for this post?'... should get you the answer you need. As I think that's a vital bit of info not yet obtained.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

as mentioned above, have a word with the person who is bringing in the new chap and get your concerns out. but unless your contract stats you have to help with training you dont have too, but if you do help it looks good for you in ways also. but as with this there is always pros and cons to any job anyone one takes unless your your own boss !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Year : 2009

Mileage : 85000

Looks like you have indeed been shat on from on high, but that appears to be the way of the world at the moment. Its a shame hard working experienced members of staff are often over looked these days. You haven't been speaking your mind or anything like that that you can think of perhaps? I would be asking the current store manager if he knows why you were over looked for someone so obviously less qualified than yourself, as your starting point. He may be able to shed some light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thought a job has to be advertised?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the support guys.

Just to clear a couple of things up:
    We are not talking a big organisation here, we are talking a small high street shop with one full time employee the 'manager' and one part time employee, me. I approached the owner a few months back asking for more hours especially as I have nearly 40 miles a day to commute and it's getting to the point where it's barely worth it, I didn't quite put it like that but you get the drift. I was told that they could not afford to give me more hours, the only way I can make up hours is if I'm hired out to other shops in the franchise which is usually to cover holidays, so not something that happens every month, most of the time I'll be on a flat 25hours a week. I use the term shop manager very loosely, basically it's someone to cover Admin and the day to day running of things, something I'm more than qualified to do and something I'm trusted to do when it comes to covering holidays. I get the impression that it is far more convenient to keep me in my current role because I'm flexible enough to take over at another store without making a complete hash of things. As for helping the new guy and working extra hard to make an impression, how long do I wait? it's getting to the point where it's hardly worth the diesel.

Another thing I learnt today was that this recruitment of a new 'manager' thing has been going on for some time, prior to this guy, 2 other candidates dropped out because they found jobs elsewhere in the meantime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think you know its time to move on. Let the new chap learn it himself, 40 miles for a 25 hour week - you might as well be minimum wage 40 hours doing warehouse work, or cleaning.

Sorry thats a little dour, maybe its time for a change?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information