0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default help radio

is there any chance off connecting a usb any way on a stranded head unit as it dont play mp3s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USB connection needs the head unit to contain a computer able to read mass storage USB units, such as hard disks or flash memory.

The original head unit obviously doesn't contain such a computer...

I use a Parrot handsfree kit featuring an USB input (MKi9200). Of course, the direct speaker outputs, though allowing acceptable phone talk, aren't audiophile quality...

But this handsfree kit also has an RCA output you can connect to an amplifier or your head unit auxiliary input, provided it has one (in my case, it's connected to an Alpine Ai-net hub, as I didn't kept the original radio, but mine was a simple CCR2006, without navigation features)...

Fortunately, adding an auxiliary audio input to the original head unit is actually a common modification you should find information about on this forum.

So if you don't want to change the existing head unit and think you're able to solder a few components inside it, then you should consider this solution : any aftermarket device able to manage an USB input and having an RCA output, and modify your head unit to add an auxiliary input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

z80 thanks very much for your import, the only reason i have not changed head unit is because i was worried id lose the computer features on it and also steering controls

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, only the models including the SatNav feature are linked to the rest of the car.

If you have a simpler model, then you will just lose the upper screen line display. BTW, some recent aftermarket head unit can access it (mine can't, but my audio setup is kinda vintage :P).

On these simpler models, you even don't really have to have it disabled with a Tech2 at Vauxhall's, as it won't trigger any error (though it will actually trigger an internal warning that they can cancel at the garage if you really want to - as you'll actually won't notice anything).

Most aftermarket makes have an interface to use your original steering wheels control (I have one). At least makes such as Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, JVC, etc.

Maybe you should first browse the net for a suitable head unit, then check if is has a steering wheel control adapter available for your Veccy's model and year.

You'll also have to check for a suitable wiring harness, has there are two main variants ont he the pre-facelift, depending on the year : with ISO plugs, and FACRA plugs. You may also have to deal with the ignition +12V signal being too weak to light up some head units (it's a low current digital signal), but if you're faced to this problem, you can eiher pick the cigarette lighter voltage (it works, though not really elegant ), or I can provide the schematics for a real ignition signal wiring allowing the car's original features (music staying on when shutting down the engine but still keeping the key in).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks mate ill just pay someone to do it lol u near essex are double dins ne good

Thread Information