Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Fault advice

Hi Folks,

This issue has possibly been covered to death but I'll explain what is happening and if anyone can give me a steer on what to try it would be very much appreciated

I bought an 04 Vectra 2.2 SRI (Engine Z22YH, 76K mileage) at the start of Feb and have had a couple of issues. About 6 weeks ago the recalled Fuel Pressure Regulator was fitted after the car cut out on me twice in as many days, this issue went away and the repair seems to have worked.

The issue that I am now having is the engine seems to be desperate to get into safe mode, it's like it is choking of fuel and I haven't been able to go above 60mph in the last week without the engine strangling the power, gradually slowing me down to 20 - 30. Often, I get to 30/40mph and then nothing, no power, just the slow down. The car with the spanner icon comes on the dashboard while it slows and remains there until the car is switched off. Most of the time the icon flashes up when restarting the engine but then disappears again, until I try to accelerate, then its back on and in 'safe mode'.

I have taken the car for an ECU check at a Vauxhall franchise, 3 error codes presented themselves (P1191, P0130 & P0303). There had been a cable hanging below the engine, turns out that this was a cable for the O2 sensor and the sensor had disconected (probably on the day the issue started), they re-attached the sensor and the cable to its clips and reset the ECU. Only error code P1191 remained after this point (the emission control warning went off as a result of the sensor being re-attached and has stayed off).

They want £520 to replace the high pressure fuel pump as a resolution to this P1191 code but my understanding of this pump is that it is mechanical (part number 93174538) and so would either work or not work, not work sometimes and the rest of the time allow the car to go along at 25mph. It also wouldnt throw up the car/spanner indicator as there isn't a sensor on it. Correct me if I miss understand please!
    Anyway, the vast majority of people (including an ex Vauxhall mechanic) have advised that it is simply the O2 sensor that needs replaced and that this will resolve the issues I'm having completely. So I thought I would write you a massive story and ask for your opinion please, do you think that the O2 sensor is just needing replaced or do you think that it may be this high pressure fuel pump (or something else of course)?

As an aside, the Vauxhall franchise wanted £520 for the pump as I say, I looked at autovaux.co.uk and they had the same part number for £235 + VAT. The guy at Vauxhall said that this wouldnt be a genuine GM part although autovaux claim that it is, is this likely to be a case where Vauxhall just want me to pay them a fortune or have they got a point and autovaux wouldn't be able to source and sell a genuine GM part for £200 less than Vauxhall can?

Thanks for your attention
    Craig

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The part from AutoVaux is likely to be a refurbished or aftermarket equivalent
    However if it is a genuine part the packaging will have the GM hologram
    Either way, it will have a 1 year warranty
    The main issue will be having the dealership fit that part, many dealerships will not fit parts supplied by a third party
    However if it is indeed a genuine part, then providing it is still in the original packaging the dealership will be none the wiser...
    The next issue is what happens if something fails, as the dealership can simply advise the part has failed and they only cover the labour of the original work

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You've mentioned fault code P1191 - that means "intake air duct leak" rather than fuel pump. Perhaps take that fault code at face value for the moment and look for air leaks in the pipework that are letting in more air than the Mass Airflow sensor is detecting.

North West Regional Organiser paulvectrac's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 v6 turbo

Year : 2007

Fuel pump or fuel pressure reg is the problem I bet fixed ment including my own
    Vectra vxr custome remaps egr deletes dpf and diagnostic work all remaps are custome bench tuning avalible all genuine equipment PM for info

Thread Information