Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Is it worth pursuing?

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and so far found it very helpful I got myself a 2004 Vectra for £1500 with 92K miles about 4 weeks ago to replace my Astra Coupe as I needed a 5 door car, anyway I part ex’d the astra at a small local dealer for the Vectra. The salesman took me out for a test drive around the new industrial estate where the dealer is located and on the new smooth roads around the ind est all seemed fine so went back to the dealers and did the deal!

This is where my problems started when we got there the car had a large sign in the front screen saying it had full service history and also the salesman confirmed this on the test drive. So money changed hands got given the keys but when I asked for the service history he had a quick look around and said he couldn’t find it and would speak to the boss and find it and give me a call so I could pop back and pick it up. Drove the car home and once out of the new est and onto old potholed roads I could hear a rattle that wasn’t evident on the test drive so when I got home I pulled it into the garage to take a look and found 3 out of the 4 springs had snapped and the on one of the front a full coil had broken off and was the cause of the rattle. I called the dealer and asked if they had found my service history? And the said no then I told the salesman about the springs and he said he would call his boss and ring me back and guess what no call so I called them back on the Monday and again was told I needed to speak to the boss but he wasn’t in and this happened a couple of times.

I needed the car to get to work so thought for the sake of £100 I would just get 4 new springs and fit them along with one of the rear control arms which I noticed had a little play and just continue to get on the dealers case about the service history (still no joy with that).

Now 3 weeks later still not got any service history and I have just had the car towed to a friend workshop and either one of the cambelt pulleys has failed or the water pump bearing has failed but not sure which yet until my friend gets a chance to have a look at it during the week.

So I guess what I’m asking is should I waste my time with calling the dealer or go and see if I can take it further with someone like trading standards etc or just chalk it up to experience and just have it fixed and have the peace of mind that I know all the works now been done?

The dealer has now sold my Astra so I couldn’t even return the Vectra and ask for my Astra back

Sorry for such a long first post! And thanks in advance for any replys

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trading standards as long as you have evidence eg the ad stating fsh I would have thought. Did they give you any warranty?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra vxr

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 v6 turbo

Year : 2008

Mileage : 31000

Take it back mate you have rights . If no joy with them get trading standards on the case

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Lada

Trim : Riva

Engine : 6.0 V12

Year : 1954

Mileage : 567890987

Contact the dealer in the first instance, regardless of the cost the car should have been fit for purpose, 3 broken springs would have made it fit for rejection right away.
    Which engine is it?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the replys guys, i contacted the autotrader and got a copy of the text from the autotrader listing but it doesn't state in the text about the FSH but the photos did show it with the sign in the screen but they don't keep a copy of photos listed on the site. Its just a basic 1.8 16v LS model and he didn't give me any warranty with it as such.

So far in the 4 weeks of owning it i have changed

4 springs
    1 rear control arm
    Thermostat (as it wasn't getting up to temp)
    Coolant Temp Sensor (noticed on the forum that they can fail so thought it was worth changing while doing the thermostat)

And given it a service which i do with any car i get even if it has FSH

And now the problem with the cambelt i'm not having much luck with it lol

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Lada

Trim : Riva

Engine : 6.0 V12

Year : 1954

Mileage : 567890987

1.8, so timing belt should have been done at 60k or 6 years, trouble is it may have been done(or may not) but its usually teh water pump that siezes and breaks the belt, so doubt this would affect the fact its been advertised as a FSH car. you could always try tracking down the last owner and asking them if it did indeed have a FSH, if it doesn't you may have a case with trading standards but I guess its proving that they advertised it as having a FSH.

Worth reading.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...yp_jc0DMlMDSSg

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks DasArab yeah i did wonder if i should contact the last owner and ask him about the service history as the last time i spoke to the salesman he told me that the boss was going to contact the people they got the car fom about the service history which kind of told me they never even had any of the service paperwork when they sold it rather than them not being able to find it in the offce

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ive recently had a similar situation, luckily the dealer i went to supplied quite a good chunk of parts (at my request to use my own local garage).

You are covered with them been a dealer ship! They should/have to cover the cost of the repairs.

If they advertised it as full service history, Really you shouldnt have signed untill you had this, however the old hand shake is a sign of a deal in a lot of eyes! Instead of calling them it may be worth going down there and seeing them.

Contact trading standards. Im not too sure about contacting the previous owner, Is it really worth it? They mnight tell you stuff but thats not going to help in anyway, If it was advertised as full service history, then it simply should have a full service history to the manufactures spec/terms what ever it is.

I had a good link to some info on dealers selling cars etc, but cant find it at the moment. Will have a search tomorrow.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 v6

Year : 2004

Mileage : 110,000

F.S.H. does not mean the springs were ok, but as has already been stated selling a vehicle with broken springs is an automatic cause for rejection. Citizens Advice, and Trading Standards should be your next port of call.
    3.2 v6 Signum and loving it

http://www.freewebs.com/johnsdutton/

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What the others have said, a dealer by virtue of its status as a dealer must sell vehicles which are roadworthy, broken springs are cause for an MOT failure (I've had mine fail last week due to this!), therefore the vehicle would not be roadworthy, therefore dealers job to fix it!!!

I believe, as a dealer, they HAVE to provide a warranty as well, some one may be able to confirm this?

A "handshake"/sold as seen (not actually legal!) etc are not necessarily relevant when it comes to car sales!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information