Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Tickover 1100rpm....

Please help if you can!
    My car is a 2003 1.8 Vectra SRI
    For a while now, on occasions i have had a problem with the revs dropping and rising again, at tickover or pulling up to traffic lights the revs would go down to 650 rpm and rise and fall from around 400 rpm to 1200 rpm.
    So i thought i'd give it a go. I thought i would first of all clean the throttle body, it was really gunged up.
    So i cleaned it and put it back together. I noticed straight away that the revs were higher so i thought it might be an air leak i replace the large hose type clip which holds the air pipe onto thge throttle body and i tightened up the bolts holding the throttle body into the maniflod, i broke one snapped it off b****r!
    After trying several main dealers i went to Allvox, a scrapyard at Derby, got the bolts but when i got home they were about 5mm too big, i went to Halfords and bought 4 new bolts put them in and got the car running again. The revs are still too high at 1050/1100 rpm but at least i can drive it.
    Does anyone have any ideas as to why please?
    Also

There is a metal cylindrical shaped thing on the right hand side of the cyl head (when viewed standing in front of the car) there is a multiplug connected to it, would that be a egr valve?

Does this engine have an idle control valve?

Could it be the thermostat causing the high tickover? I ask because the temp rose to 90 when i was in traffic yesterday, i never noticed it do that before, or could it be that the multiplug from the thermostat is not working properly and i need the hard wire fix to do with the multiplug going from that thermostat?.
    Confused and a little outta my depth!
    The car accelerates really well and the economy is good. I have unplugged tha maf and the car will not start when i try it.
    Phew, if you managed to read it all thanks and i'm sorry if i've missed something out.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sounds like air flow meter try unplugging it with engine running and see if it makes any difference.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by sterie View Post
    Please help if you can!
    My car is a 2003 1.8 Vectra SRI
    For a while now, on occasions i have had a problem with the revs dropping and rising again, at tickover or pulling up to traffic lights the revs would go down to 650 rpm and rise and fall from around 400 rpm to 1200 rpm.
    So i thought i'd give it a go. I thought i would first of all clean the throttle body, it was really gunged up.
    So i cleaned it and put it back together. I noticed straight away that the revs were higher so i thought it might be an air leak i replace the large hose type clip which holds the air pipe onto thge throttle body and i tightened up the bolts holding the throttle body into the maniflod, i broke one snapped it off b****r!
    After trying several main dealers i went to Allvox, a scrapyard at Derby, got the bolts but when i got home they were about 5mm too big, i went to Halfords and bought 4 new bolts put them in and got the car running again. The revs are still too high at 1050/1100 rpm but at least i can drive it.
    Does anyone have any ideas as to why please?
    Also

There is a metal cylindrical shaped thing on the right hand side of the cyl head (when viewed standing in front of the car) there is a multiplug connected to it, would that be a egr valve?

Does this engine have an idle control valve?

Could it be the thermostat causing the high tickover? I ask because the temp rose to 90 when i was in traffic yesterday, i never noticed it do that before, or could it be that the multiplug from the thermostat is not working properly and i need the hard wire fix to do with the multiplug going from that thermostat?.
    Confused and a little outta my depth!
    The car accelerates really well and the economy is good. I have unplugged tha maf and the car will not start when i try it.
    Phew, if you managed to read it all thanks and i'm sorry if i've missed something out.
    I used to have a fiesta, which have an idling fault like this!, which was actually down to a sensor for the power steering system. It may seem unrelated, but because ford had placed the pressure sensor for the power steering fluid low and at the front of the car, it was prone to corrosion and failing, this told the ecu there was not enough pressure in the system which caused the ecu to increase the revs. Don't know if there is a similar system in place on the vectra though, might be worth a check

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Also, just looked at autodata, when cleaning the throttle body, it says to actuate the valve manually 3 to 5 times, I guess you'll have done this anyway, since mans natural reaction when faced with something that moves is to play with it for a bit!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks mungo, do i umplug it while the engine is running or unplug then start the engine?
    If it were the air flow meter would it do anything else like drink fuel like it's going out of fashion? It's still economical according to the dash readout and it drives better than any 1.8 should imho, the acceleration from 60 to erm 80 is really good compared to what it was a week or 2 ago.

lol i did move the flap a number of times, i don't have a clue how many times but it was held open with some soft plastic whilst i cleaned it.
    I will top up the p/s fluid too, just in case
    Thanks
    Last edited by sterie; 15th April 2012 at 18:36.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia CDTi SRi NAV 160

Trim : SRi

Engine : A20DTH

Year : 2009

Mileage : 88000

Faulty MAF can cause over fueling and then burn out the front Sensor on the outlet mainfold. Unplug the MAF sensor when the car is running and see what happens. A lot of the running issue faults on the 1.8 are caused bya faulty MAF
    Lois Griffin: Peter! You're bribing your daughter with a car?
    Peter Griffin: Ah, c'mon, Lois, isn't 'bribe' just another word for 'love'?

Moderator & Events Assistant paulhb's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : M5

Trim : Nothing needs adding

Engine : 5.0 V10

Year : 07

Mileage : 37000

Just another note my tickover was goosed and unstable and ran high and then low when my alternator was on its way out, strange I know but true non the less

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by sterie View Post
    Thanks mungo, do i umplug it while the engine is running or unplug then start the engine?
    If it were the air flow meter would it do anything else like drink fuel like it's going out of fashion? It's still economical according to the dash readout and it drives better than any 1.8 should imho, the acceleration from 60 to erm 80 is really good compared to what it was a week or 2 ago.

lol i did move the flap a number of times, i don't have a clue how many times but it was held open with some soft plastic whilst i cleaned it.
    Thanks
    If there is such a system on the vectra (ie a multiplug to a sensor on the power steering system, then a quick inspection should show whether its needs cleaning/replacing), again I'm not sure whether vx do things the same way!!

Re the MAF, I'm not an expert on these so I'm sure someone will come along with some sound advice

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I couldn't see a multiplug around what i think is the p/s moter/pump but thanks anyway mate.
    I unplugged tha MAF it made no difference at all to the tickover. I drove it and it drove exactly as it had done after i cleaned the throttle body. The mpg went down to 9 when i floored it in 1st and up to 65 when on the dual carrigeway at 45 mph on a very light throttle. Is that going to be the maf then people?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Certainly sounds like it bud.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast