Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Vectra EGR valve - recurring warning light

Vectra CDTi 2005 150HP 89,000 miles

I've had problems for about 6 months with EGR valve. Warning light with spanner comes on and engine power cut so canít drive above about 35mph Ė I believe this is Ďlimp mode homeí? I have an AA membership including repair cover (donít laugh) and theyíve attended twice, found the fault reported as EGR on the ecu (2nd time it reported cylinder fault first then it changed to EGR fault), cleaned the valve and Iíve been able to drive away without any problems for a few weeks/months.

3rd time warning light came on I didnít bother getting an AA van but called the repair line and they said take it into garage. The garage then couldnít get payment authorisation to replace the EGR as it was more than a day or 2 since it last happened (with patrol attending) and they said I should have taken it in straight away if the cleaning was only a temporary repair. Of course I would have done this but the patrolman said only take it in when/if the fault reoccurs Ė a lesson in reading small print. They also re-set the codes each time.

Anyhow, I got good directions online and removed and cleaned the very sooty EGR thoroughly with cam spray. I also put Forte Diesel treatment (after reading loads of reviews and deciding this or Protec was the most useful) in with about 40 miles of fuel left. It went like a bomb with the forte treatment and seemed to be driving smoother than ever for about 2 weeks then the warning light + power cut came on a 3 days ago powering up a steep hill. I stopped and restarted after a few minutes and ití hasnít recurred in the last 3 days but I expect itíll be back.

If anyone could advise how to diagnose if my EGR valve is done. I couldnít move the pin by hand (is this the test?) before or after cleaning but would it have worked for a further 2 weeks without reporting a fault if it was damaged?

The online instructions for EGR removal also mentioned cleaning the boost sensor. I couldnít get at this due to the screw head position but will get the right tool and have a go if this could really help.

Could replacing the fuel filter, air filter or any other related part help and are these simple jobs?

Should I just get a replacement EGR valve? Quoted £105 new from my local shop but Iíd be willing to try the scrap yards if itís worth trying out a used one. Again, how do you asses if itís in good working order.

Iíve also switched to Tesco fuel (from Sainsbury) after reading the additives help clear the engine out Ė I certainly seem to get some blueish smoke on occasion (couple of times a week at most only on starting) when itís got tesco fuel in.

I realise this has been addressed by other questions and replies but Iím not having any luck with the search function finding other EGR threads. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes, I think you need to go the whole way and take the solenoid apart and clean as per the very good 'How to' on this site. I had exact same, the pin would not move but with voltage applied it was moving but sticky (magnets and coils have surprising power).

To diagnose, firstly I electrically disconnected the EGR for 2 weeks and the car ran perfectly so told me the fault lay with EGR.

I bought a new one as I could not risk having my car off the road at that time.

But, two weeks later,I took the old one apart (took a few good whacks to get the solenoid plunger out), cleaned the whole thing out, greased the solenoid etc, put back together and its like new. When 12v is now applied to solenoid the valve opens instantly and as soon as the voltage is cut, the valves snaps fully shut instantly.

Knowing this now, I would have never bought a new one. But I now have a useable spare.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i have been having problems with mine for the last week
    thinking it was the egr is it dumped the power but did not come up with a egr code
    a wwek or so ago i took the egr and cleaned it with brake cleaner
    today i took it back off and cleaned it with carb cleaner is much beter and it like new now

but putting it back on i noticed the intercooler pipe looked a bit crashed felt round it as it was resting agaist a water pipe and it had cut through it so there is my problem

took it off and taoed it up for tonight so i coudl get back home but will order a new one tomorrow

worth you looking at them

and stay away from supermarket fuel use shell esso ect are better fuels
    unless you have money off

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers for both replies. I'll have a go at freeing the solenoid and check for leaks as well. Hoping some decent weather and free time at the weekend coincide soon.

Thread Information