Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : SXi

Engine : 2.2

Default Sky problems and contracts

In 2011 I had a big argument with Sky over their lack of service, incompetent way of dealing with complaints and their equipment that constantly failed. I ended up in 2011 paying for 12 months of which 10 months we had internet and the Sky box broke which took them another month to correct. So they offered us SKY HD upgrade for nothing as a gesture of goodwil. Great I thought!

It was explained to me that I would pay for Sky HD but get my line rental for free and discounted internet, but the bill would show that we were paying for Sky HD. But it was sold to us that we were basically still paying for line rental and internet but in fact getting the HD for free.

3 months on and everything has been fine. I filled out their home move on line, we moved house and I sat in last friday all day waiting for the engineer to turn up to install everything. At 4pm I call them from a mobile to ask where the engineer is. There is no engineer coming and the "Home Move" has not even been started despite a lengthy conversation with them 2 weeks ago discussing the new house. They could start the process now but it could take 3 weeks to complete before I get a phoneline

This resulted in another argument in which I have now been paying another month for no services from Sky as it was stopped from the old address a month a go.

I canceled my direct debit after that argument, told Sky to cancel the account and that would be the end of it.

I get an email off Sky yesterday telling me they will not close the account, I am still subject to paying £65 pcm as I started a new contract when I took the Sky HD box on and I still have 8months of contract. When I explained that I have not had any service from them, they said it does not matter and I am still liable to pay the outstanding contract and it has now been passed to their debt recovery agency.

I asked them how they could hold a dissatisfied customer to a 12 month contract who they offered the box to as a gesture of goodwill because of their lack of customer satisfaction only to now try and tie me into it for an extra 8 months whilst refusing to install anything as it has gone to debt recovery! I have even paid the last month with no services.

I have reported it to Watchdog and have said maybe I should instruct a small claims court for loss of earnings, phone calls and stress dealing with them.

Sorry so long but what a saga again from Sky

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

We had huge problems with Sky when we first joined them. Orders kept getting cancelled, postponed, services disconnected for no reason etc...

In the end I got so fed up I wrote a long email to bskyb's Chief Executive Jeremy Darroch, explaining the problems I'd had, the way I'd been treated and my complete dissatisfaction with his company. I wasn't rude in the email but was more matter-of-fact about everything using phrases like "I'm sure you'll agree that this isn't the level of service your company strives to achieve".

Within 12 hours of the email being sent, I had a call from a member of his team who had been tasked with resolving my problems. She was really helpful and got things sorted within a matter of days (including personally collecting and dispatching a missing router).

Could be worth an email to the big man?!

jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Pay under protest, and send a letter to that effect
    Make the minimum contract requirements, if these means downgrading to nil service then do so
    Pass the matter to Trading Standards, under the Goods and Services Act
    Only cancel a Direct Debit when instructed to do so by Trading Standards
    Once the contract expires, cancel the contract AND the Direct Debit

You would also be permitted to swap to another provider, even though Sky think or believe they are your provider
    It is better to at least then have some service than none

I had a similar issue with BT, don't be initimidated by them
    The important thing is to pay the bills and then respond within 7 days that the payment was made under protest
    Debt Collectors then cannot be used, and if they do get involved you send them a copy of your protest letter
    Last edited by m8internet; 15th April 2012 at 09:58.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    Pay under protest, and send a letter to that effect
    Make the minimum contract requirements, if these means downgrading to nil service then do so
    Pass the matter to Trading Standards, under the Goods and Services Act
    Only cancel a Direct Debit when instructed to do so by Trading Standards
    Once the contract expires, cancel the contract AND the Direct Debit

You would also be permitted to swap to another provider, even though Sky think or believe they are your provider
    It is better to at least then have some service than none

I had a similar issue with BT, don't be initimidated by them
    The important thing is to pay the bills and then respond within 7 days that the payment was made under protest
    Debt Collectors then cannot be used, and if they do get involved you send them a copy of your protest letter
    The direct debit is cancelled and will remain so as I have no services from Sky at the moment. I have if anything paid an extra month for a service I have not received.

I have already arranged another provider who will fit a line and everything we need within the next week. (Why does Sky say 2-3 weeks?)

I really do not see how or why I should continue to pay £65 a month for the next 8 months on a service I no longer have? That makes no sense at all?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave1701 View Post
    We had huge problems with Sky when we first joined them. Orders kept getting cancelled, postponed, services disconnected for no reason etc...

In the end I got so fed up I wrote a long email to bskyb's Chief Executive Jeremy Darroch, explaining the problems I'd had, the way I'd been treated and my complete dissatisfaction with his company. I wasn't rude in the email but was more matter-of-fact about everything using phrases like "I'm sure you'll agree that this isn't the level of service your company strives to achieve".

Within 12 hours of the email being sent, I had a call from a member of his team who had been tasked with resolving my problems. She was really helpful and got things sorted within a matter of days (including personally collecting and dispatching a missing router).

Could be worth an email to the big man?!

jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com
    Thats sounds like a plan! Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Stevel View Post
    The second worst company I have ever come across for customer service (talk talk just about shaded that accolade). I have deliberately not changed anything on our initial contract because I don't trust them find a reason to start a new contract so we can't escape when we want to.

Straight to debt recovery is a scandalous threat. It shows the distain they have for their customers. Talktalk threatened to do the same with my 78 year old MIL after THEY ****** up.
    What they have said is it has already been handed to the debt recovery a day after I made the call cancelling and saying I would stop the direct debit and as such they will not install anything but want me to pay £65 for the next 8 months or pay it upfront to end the contract.

How do they get away threatening a 78 year old with that? Man that pi**es me off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by the_wave_rider View Post
    I really do not see how or why I should continue to pay £65 a month for the next 8 months on a service I no longer have? That makes no sense at all?
    You need to discuss with Trading Standards to fully understand this then
    You need to pay the £65 a month as you have entered into a contract
    You then raise a complaint if you are not receiving the service
    If this is not resolved by the following months payment (not the current month) then you make all further payments under protest
    In some cases this can be up to 24 months (the maximum for a service contract of this type)

However usually within 6 weeks the issue is resolved and the previous payments reimbursed
    As with all such things of this type, complain, complain, complain, until they get sick of you
    Keep a record of all communications; date, time, details, person, and reference number

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by the_wave_rider View Post
    What they have said is it has already been handed to the debt recovery a day after I made the call cancelling and saying I would stop the direct debit and as such they will not install anything but want me to pay £65 for the next 8 months or pay it upfront to end the contract
    I have to agree with the contracted provider, as that is what I would do...
    You may not agree with it, but that is where you are at now

As above, you can get out of this by sending a letter that you are disputing the payments, and under UK law this then suspends the interactions of any debt recovery agent
    You also then need to make the debt recovery agent aware of this, and they will acknowledge instantly this is correct

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    I have to agree with the contracted provider, as that is what I would do...
    You may not agree with it, but that is where you are at now

As above, you can get out of this by sending a letter that you are disputing the payments, and under UK law this then suspends the interactions of any debt recovery agent
    You also then need to make the debt recovery agent aware of this, and they will acknowledge instantly this is correct
    So the customer is always wrong and the supplier will shaft you no matter what because at the end of the day you are a pathetic member of the public requiring a service from the Gods of communications? Great bullyboy antics!

At the end of the day as far as I can see I am only contracted in to have SKY HD as all the other services have gone past their 12 months ( over 2 years without changing)and have not been changed. Therefore I should only be committed to paying for the HD box yet they refuse to cancel any of the services because of the 8 months remaining on the contract on the HD.

Seriously you would pay for a service you have not had for a month that you are not contracted into? I have said that I would pay them 50% of the remaining Sky HD contract as they will not be supplying the service and we will call it a day of which they have refused today. They want the full amount for all services even though only the HD is contracted in for a further 8 months.

I have written an email to trading standards and Watchdog and to the email given above. I have also written an email to CAB.

Lets see what happens tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Be very careful stopping paying. They could take it out against your credit rating which is a world of pain which is a lot more hassle than its worth.

Perhaps as them for proof you signed up for another 12 months when you took out HD. Copy of the contract (which they won't have) or copy of the call with the agent explaining that to you.

Also consider reducing your package down to the minimum you can.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information