User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: how to take any vx engine and get 36psi out of the head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default how to take any vx engine and get 36psi out of the head.

Spoke to one of my mates from the army who used to do R&D for racing the Vx C why he left a 200k a year job to be a grunt god knows.

It takes a lot of work but if you want to take the vx c above 350bhp + which he tells me is possible ( git won't tell me how though say's to much money and i'll kill myself), you need to strip the head off remove the gaskit and get yourself 2 pieces of grade A toughened glass, and 5 pots of graded synthetic based grease oil from corse grade 8 to fine grade 0.05.

Basically you apply the first grade on the head take the piece of glass and in swilling motions rub on head until metal becomes brased, then go down the grades until it feels like the head is a piece of stainless steal.
    Do the same with the other half and then smear 2 stroke oil on the 2 halfs where the gasket would of fitted, turn the top of the head clockwise onto the bottom and it will be metel welded it's self bolt down.
    Gaureented head will never blow.

He tells me the rest of the enginee will disintergrate before the head blows.

Start to finish estimated time doing 4 hours a night, probly 2 weeks give or take.

hence worth doing if your bored.

will see noticeable ramp up even from doing nothing else tells me this is one of the first things they do on the 3.2 engine and gain 1.3secs 0-60.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That's just not possible to do on a water cooled engine due to differing expansion rates at hot/cool area's

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Porting and flowing the head would be a bigger benefit I would of though? As Robbie says on these engines........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if he's saying you can 'wring' the head to the block like a set of slip guages, he's having a laugh with you...it won't hold back 140PSI the pistons generate( putting shear forces in different places all over the join as the engine rotates) thats why they use tensioned bolts to restrain the head.. and as robbie say's, the different expansion and cooling rates of the different metals used in the construction of the joint ( cast iron block and alloy head) will break the joint.. again, thats why they use a head gasket, to overcome the gaps caused by the temperature differences as the engine cycles in temperature..

i just can't beleive what he's telling you TBH.. A very good friend of mine was Ian Carter ( of Imp engine fame) and he had many performance engine building credits over a long career.. he still used head bolts..and he was acheiving 140 BHP@9,000 rpm from an old coventry climax 'Imp' engine..all 1000cc of it..

Google up Ian Carter..see what you get..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think he's taking me for a ride then, better tell him to stay off the booze as he was obviously talking me round the track a few times my fault i surpose for being gulable.

sorry guys

Thread Information