User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Snooper install, need help please!!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question Snooper install, need help please!!!

Hi all

i have purchased a Snooper device that comes with an audio mute option. i have a parrot bluetooth car kit fitted to my CD70 navi system. the parrot kit has a universal audio mute box fitted.

Do i wire the snooper audio mute cable to the same connection as the parrot unit ? as i want the snooper device to cut off my calls and radio if i get zapped! or is there another wire for the mute option? i have looked in the how to section but had no luck. Although i did find out how to wire from the engine bay into the glove box, cheers!

Anyone have a link to the cd70 wiring schedule and removal guide? many thanks.

Woodsta (Siggy 1.9 CDTi 150)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Did you use the SOT122 adapter lead when you did your Parrot install? If so, there's a phone mute lead integrated in this, which you can just connect to your Snooper mute lead providing you didn't connect the Parrot mute lead to it already... but I gather you're just using the Parrot self-muting function?

Easiest way to tell is to check the display on the Radio when you're on a call... if it says nothing, the mute function isn't used (and you can connect your snooper straight to it). If it says "Extern" then the Parrot uses it, but it doesn't need to!!!

If you didn't use an SOT122 lead, here goes:

the CD70 will have full CANBUS, here's how to do it...

Remove the CD70 unit using the double-din removal forks (allegedly £3.99 from Halfords, if they have any in stock).

You will see the plug-in loom on the back of the unit... flick the lever up, which then allows you to remove the plug from the radio.

On the top of the radio, there's a wiring diagram, showing which pins do what. You want the one that's labelled up "Ph Mute" or similar. It will be on what I would call the main power block, about 3 pins down IIRC. Just plug your mute wire from your snooper into this.

The one difference connecting this wire will give you is the "External" display on the main unit, as well as a short beep, whereas the Parrot unit just kills the radio sound.

It'll be really obvious where it goes once you remove the radio unit.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Paddy2bsure; 5th December 2006 at 17:07.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Great stuff!! many thanks

Woodsta

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Woodsta

i have just read you comments on the Parrot 3200 install "how to" discussion... you say the radio goes to "extern in" when you're on a call, which means the guy who did your install did hook up the Parrot mute to your stereo... try to find out if he wired the Parrot directly through your stereo, or whether he used an adapter lead.

A few questions for you...

Does the phone sound come through the car front speakers, or has he put a separate speaker in there for you?

How do you control the sound level during a call... via the Parrot turn-knob, or via the stereo?

From your answers, I'll be able to tell you pretty quickly how he wired it in. It's simple to revert to the Parrot self muting function (freeing up the "extern in" muting port for your snooper) but you would need to get the SOT122 cable - if you haven't got it already.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've just read you want your snooper to cut out your call & radio if you get zapped... not possible I'm afraid as any audio accessory mute is just a "ground" or "negative" signal - i.e. when that terminal on the back of the radio is earthed, it mutes the radio (and it beeps too, as described above). If you're already on a call, the Parrot unit will mute the sound to the speakers, so the only thing that'll change is that the display will flash "extern". It might beep, but I wouldn't count on it (as it's auto-muted through the Parrot unit).

I will gladly help you to get this sorted... I'm not that far away after all if you need help (straight down the A228)!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ok...Right, on the hands free kit the sound comes out the front speakers and i adjust the volume via the stereo! and from memory the stereo does display "entern" when i take a call or receive a txt!

When i ordered the handsfree i had to pay extra for an additional loom, i have got the reciept somewhere which gave me all the details? i assume this will either be the SOT122 cable you spoke of or a parrot adaptor?

Is the SOT122 cable a VX stealer part or from Halfrauds?

Hopefully the rain will stop at the weekend and allow me to get stuck in and take a look!

Many Thanks for the tech help, i really appreciate it! i might have to go for a drive if i become unstuck.

Thanks again Woodsta.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you adjust the volume via the stereo, your installer used the line out functions from the Parrot, and installed them to the Canbus plug at the back of your stereo. This effectively takes a low power input (i.e. your Parrot lineouts) and plugs them into the loom... your stereo knows when to switch to them using the mute lead, i.e. switching the stereo to "Extern In" to transmit what the line-in cables from the Parrot are telling it.

I did my last Parrot install that way (in the VW); doing this, the SOT122 lead is not used, nor is the auto muting function of the Parrot unit - the feed from Stereo to Speakers is unbroken. I would say the extra part the installer needed was the extra line-in plug for the canbus plug (as this is normally empty - unless you have phone prep preinstalled - which come to think of it, your well-specced car might have).

Your options now? You can hook the wire up from the snooper to the stereo, but it won't mute it while you're on a call - as it's already muted. I would suggest putting a 2-way relay into the Parrot feed, that kills the power to it if the snooper goes off. This way, you can pick any ignition-live feed for the snooper, and use the "neg out" mute lead from the snooper - this will then trigger the relay to poles a (normal, no earth) or b (snooper activated) which will take the power from pole a (which would be the power feed to the Parrot).

A diagram would probably help - I'll see if I can do one later!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Paddy2besure

You certainly know your stuff!!

Switching the power from the parrot, i take it the parrot kit would keeps its memory and paired devices?

It would be great to have the full mute option as taking a call/ listening to the radio, attempting to stay on the sat nav course and drive within the speed limits, a little ESP from the snooper is needed!

If you have time a sketch would be great, i assume i can pick up a relay from RS?

When i carry out the install i will ensure to post a "how to" with good pics as im sure your tech know how will be a great help to others on this site!

Many thanks!!!!!

Woodsta

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsta View Post
    Switching the power from the parrot, i take it the parrot kit would keeps its memory and paired devices?
    Yes indeed... I've removed Parrot's from cars, stored them for a couple of weeks, then reinstalled - they boot up straight away. However, they can make an annoying "chirp" when they're switched on again.

The problem with just severing the ignition positive feed to the Parrot is that if you're on a call already, it won't hang up - i.e. you're on a call when driving home, pull up outside your house, and switch the ignition off - you call stays connected!

If you installed the SOT122 lead now, you get the sound through the speakers just as you do now, but it doesn't use the line-outs as currently, rather the ISO plugs on the blue part of the Parrot unit. Also, the mute lead becomes redundant, so you could use it for the snooper, and just depend on the Parrot to do it's own muting.

Retro-fitting the SOT122 lead could indeed be the best way to go now. Can you ask your installer how he fitted the unit, and where the 2 boxes are located (probably cable-tied under the dash/glovebox area somewhere) - it'll save a lot of figuring out if you know.

I'm just wondering - could you install a beeper / buzzer for the snooper instead of a mute? Just an idea.

By the way, the reason you hear the beeps every time your phone is low on battery, key-locks itself etc is dependent on your make of phone. Sony-Ericsson's don't do it, but Motorola's do - just phone quirks.
    Last edited by Paddy2bsure; 5th December 2006 at 21:18.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Talking

The Snooper comes with a buzzer, led visual, mute function and on off switch !

I think the easy option is to install the buzzer in the over head storage areas, or on the side of my head rest to ensure i hear it!!! install the led somewhere on the dash, try to wire the mute function. and lastly wire in the kill switch!!!

I believe the blue parrot box is behind the glovebox?

I will let you know how i get on! wish me luck.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Woodsta "To Be Continued"

"Stealth Siggy"
    Last edited by Woodsta; 5th December 2006 at 21:32.

Thread Information