User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Infinity speakers, which ones are best?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Infinity speakers, which ones are best?

Hi there, looking to exchange all 4 door speakers for Infinity ones, but just wondering which model you guys have fitted, and if theyre any good? I.E, single cone, coaxial, component, and whether you keep original tweeters, or get a component set with new tweeters and perhaps wire in the supplied passive crossover networks? I know i need to get some speaker mounts, autoleads do vectra ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Go for components mate, and if you must buy infinity ( I like em too) then go for the Kappa range.... but only do this if you're going to use an amp too.... the standard head units just don't put out enough power to drive them (or anything really) properly, if money is tight then I would replace the standard head unit first and run the original speakers, they are quite good actually.... the weakest link is the original headunita as they only put out around 7 Watts......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Pioneer do a replacement set for the vectra and retail at 99 quid mate alot of people have them like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c

Trim : vxr

Engine : z28neh

Year : 2009

Mileage : 31000

if got infinity refrence in my old b gsi and there spot on but i must admit having them through an amp the tweeters can be quiet harsh and overpowering

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
    Pioneer do a replacement set for the vectra and retail at 99 quid mate alot of people have them like?
    Yes, TS-Q172C I believe. Only problem there is I'm not prepared to lay out 200 quid for four of those when there's plenty of equal (or better) quality for 40-50ish a pair, plus 8 quid a pair for autoleads speaker pods, that would only total around half as much!
    Also I don't really think I'll need tweeters as it only seems to be the drivers that are coughing out at volume. But then most components come with tweeters these days anyway.
    I'm not dead set on infinity, in fact I've use pioneers quite a bit in the past and they've always sounded pretty spot on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The coughing that you are refering to from the mid drivers is probably distortion that you are hearing. This is caused by clipping of the signal that is being sent from the amplifier when trying to run it a volume that is too high, this is the amp that does this and then damages the speakers as they have started to recieve a square wave form as opposed to a nice curvy one.

The factory speakers are actually quite good and sound a lot lot better when driven by a headunit with greater power handling, typically an ampllifier (internal to the HU in this case) will start to send a clipped signal when you start trying to push the volume above the 75-80% of max mark. Regular use of the volume at this sort of range will then lead to speaker damage. The OEM HU puts out around 7watts RMS per channel and so to listen to this loud you will very quickly start to encounter clipping and damage the speaker, replacing the HU with an aftermarket one will see you generally get an RMS figure of around 20 watts allowing you to listen at higher volumes without encoutering clipping as easily.

The problem with just replacing the mid drivers is that the vectra has no "real" crossovers installed to seperate the signal, the mid recieves a full range signal and then this is sent on to the tweeter that uses an inline filter to strip out the low stuff. If you replace the mid with an aftermarket item you are in danger of giving it frequencies that it wasnt designed to handle and this kills drivers very easily.

The second issue you are likely to encounter when replacing the speakers with aftermarket items but using an OEM HU is the sensitivity of the speaker, this is rated in db and will be between the 85-95db range. The lower the sensitivity the more power you need to apply to obtain the same volume. The db figure is gained by measuring what a 1watt tone signal (not music!) will obtain from the speaker at 1 metre from the driver. When using a low power amplifier you will need a higher sensitivity speaker to gain high volume. remember that in order to raise the volume by 3db you need twice the input power, therefore a speaker with sensitivity of 88db will sound twice as loud as one with a sensitivity of 85db.

When upgrading the sound system in a car I would do the following in the order below if you want to spread the cost:

1. replace head unit - this will give OEM speakers a cleaner more powerful signal.
    2. replace speakers - components
    3. amplifier for above - with the right components and amp, you wont need a sub unless you want very low and loud bass.
    4. sub and amp.

I've posted this response as I hate to see people waste money buying the wrong things.....

The pioneer TS-Q172C's are pricey but are designed to work very well with the OEM system - you dont need speaker rings from autoleads (poor quality and fit) and they are very easy to fit and will sound very nice.

The Infinity (and JBL - pretty much the same company using a lot of the same technologies) line of components will sound good off OEM head unit power as they are very sensitive and also due to the "true 4ohms" system (actually drivers that run at around 2.5ohms) that they use will extract more power from your head unit and counter the heat build up encountered in the thin OEM speaker wiring.....

If you are listening at below 70% max volume (with the bass treble etc set to 0) and you are getting distortion then that would suggest that the speaker is damaged and needs replacement - if you're not wanting to replace the HU then I would suggest that you do the following dependant on budget:

1. replace with standard speakers - cheapest if sourced used
    2. replace with pioneer - expensive but easy to fit
    3. replace with aftermarket using 18mm mdf mounts - much better than the overpriced autloeads mounts.

If going aftermarket go for any of these:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/jbl-gto6508c.html

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/hert...i-dsk-165.html

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/8841.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes, the main reason I was leaning towards components is that you'll get separate crossovers, rather than the OEM setup which I'm guessing is probably just a bipolar electrolytic cap in series with the tweeter, and probably nothing on the driver so as you say it'll be fed with everything! Do the 172c's come with those? I notice the jbl's do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by spark001uk View Post
    Yes, the main reason I was leaning towards components is that you'll get separate crossovers, rather than the OEM setup which I'm guessing is probably just a bipolar electrolytic cap in series with the tweeter, and probably nothing on the driver so as you say it'll be fed with everything! Do the 172c's come with those? I notice the jbl's do.
    No, I dont think so anyway... the 172C's are designed as a direct replacement for the drivers in the car and as such utilise what is already there.... If you're happy to make up your own mdf rings (or at worst use the autoleads cheapo plastic) then you can get pretty much the same item for less using these:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pio-...ts-g172ci.html

also remember that with anything other than the pioneer custom fit jobs you may need to modify the tweeter location in the car in order to fit, removal of tabs and hot glue is a common way....

Some people like the immersive sound of front and rear speakers, I personally dont - I prefer to try and create a proper sound stage and imagery by doing away with the rear speakers - that way you can spend more on one set! I did and ended up with these:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/hert...hsk-165-4.html

lovely sounding especially now I'm running active from a modified Genesis Profile 4 amp.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well like you say the weakest link is the HU, and being as I want to keep it (sat nav, phone connectivity etc), the best I can do is get some components with a decent set of crossovers. Where to mount them tho? I did read somebody on here who fitted them just dropped them into the bottom of the doors, but not sure on that one, think I might like to at least tie-wrap them to something!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Before I went active on the front end I kept my crossovers on the inside of the car and ran 2 runs of speaker wire into each door from them. The crossover can then be sat into the kick panels etc and wont come to harm from water etc... its also easier to get to them if you have adjustable tweeter settings on the crossover that way....

I was in 2 minds about replacing my cd70 because of the sat nav.... but then after getting annoyed with how poor the maps were and how poor the sat nav was in general I decided that I should use the navigation on my phone instead - its much much better and gives me traffic and speed cams.... I did write a how 2 for speed cams on the cd70, but it was a bit controvertial and the admins couldnt allow it for fear of repercussions regarding the camera info bits.....

The Bluetooth hands free on the unit I have is also much much better than that on the CD70.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information