Thread: CDTI lumpy idle & smoke?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default CDTI lumpy idle & smoke?

We bought the CDTI 150 in August last year. When we bought it the EGR was goosed so the dealer fitted a new one. I immediately blanked it off.

A couple of months ago the engine was running very lumpy when idling cold and was really smelling (hot coolant/chemical smell). I was concerned it might be a sign of the head gasket failing but a complete diagnostics test by a garage turned up nothing apart from the EGR blanking and it was put down to the cold weather. At that point I was still unconvinced and so removed the blanking plate from the EGR in case it was hiding another issue as the EML was permanently on.

Fast forward to two weeks ago and the lumpy idle has returned.. and the 18-20º temperatures can rule out a 'cold weather' issue. The engine is now very juddery on idle (regardless of the engine temperature) and also at low revs (ie; when the car's crawling in traffic) almost as if it's about to stall.

There's also been a really good puff of smoke when starting up first thing in the morning but I've just put that down to condensation due to the time of day but today was something else! We went out in the car this morning and got home about 12 then the wife went to go shopping at about 1pm. as she started the car there was a thick cloud of smoke followed by a constant stream of grey/blue smoke (this was just idling), even people 30ft down the street were coughing!. I turned the engine off and a visual inspection of the engine bay didn't give anything away, no obvious leaks, spills or split pipes & fluids all at the correct levels. I restarted the car & the engine's still lumpy idling but nowhere near as much smoke, even revving the engine didn't produce any excessive smoke!?

It's booked in for a new cambelt, tensioners & water pump on Monday but I'm not sure if this is going to help in any way shape or form (more peace of mind as the cars about to hit 60k). It drives fine and pulls well with no obvious loss in performance. Any ideas where to start with this one?

*EDIT*
    The car is becoming harder to start too. it takes a good 5 or 6 seconds turning over before it fires up and often it really bangs into life almost as if the engine's about to burst out of the bonnet!!
    Last edited by bigdave1701; 7th April 2012 at 18:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : z

Trim : z

Engine : z

Year : z

Sounds like the third injector connector for the rough running

Also worth checking the vac pipes for splits, cleaning the boost sensor, and checking the swirl bar is still attached. A detached swirl bar and a leaking swirl valve could be the smell in the cabin. Look for oily deposits around the swirl valves.

Regarding "the engine about to burst out of the bonnet" when starting... Possible starter motor problems?

HTH

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had a similar sort of issue on my previous car which was a Corsa D CDTI which has about 58k on the clock. I didn't keep the car long enough to actually investigate the issue as i was already in the process of changing it for my Vectra

I also had people tell me it was the cold weather, but quite high temp's ruled out that. Also no leaks, fluids all at good levels... :s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It's a 57 plate so has the modified swirl bar & the injector wiring with blue plugs.

I did have a look at both the swirl bar and injectors this lunch time and there's no sign of any leakage. The smell isnt in the cabin but as soon as you open the door it hits you! By the time you've popped the bonnet and walked round the front of the car, the smells gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bob5709 View Post
    I had a similar sort of issue on my previous car which was a Corsa D CDTI which has about 58k on the clock. I didn't keep the car long enough to actually investigate the issue as i was already in the process of changing it for my Vectra

I also had people tell me it was the cold weather, but quite high temp's ruled out that. Also no leaks, fluids all at good levels... :s

That doesn't sound good. If it can't be diagnosed n fixed I might just be tempted to get rid rather than go throwing my wallet at phantom faults.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave1701 View Post
    That doesn't sound good. If it can't be diagnosed n fixed I might just be tempted to get rid rather than go throwing my wallet at phantom faults.
    As i say, i didnt bother getting it looked at as i was literally a couple of weeks or so away from getting rid so i saw it pointless getting it investigated for a car i would only have for a couple of weeks. If that happened on my Vectra now, i would be tempted to delve into it a little more and see what the issue it. Could be something small and simple...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Anyone else able to offer any advice on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : z

Trim : z

Engine : z

Year : z

Have you had the codes read? Might be worth getting them read as not all codes chuck the light on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Had a full diagnostics on it about a month ago which brought up nothing at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Tried new glowplugs at all??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information