0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Be Gentle

These may be quite possibly the most daft set of questions ever asked on here. However, here goes!

Is a single exit exhaust louder than a dual exit exhaust (with regards to performance exhausts).

Also does a single exit exhaust allow the exhaust gases to exit more quickly versus a dual exit exhaust (i'm thinking that a dual exhaust exits towards a Y piece which could disrupt the flow of exhaust gases).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, real sport cars featuring big engines (V8, V12, etc.) may fully have separated exhaust lines.

On our ordinary road cars, all the manifolds quickly merge into one, the main reason being there's a catalyser behind, and now generally a particle filter too. But multiplying them would obviously cost an eye, where car makers still want to earn as much money as possible while keeping the prices attractive.

So you can easily figure why on most cars, there's actually one exhaust line, sometimes divided after the catalyser to feature multiple exhaust mufflers.

That's why provided most so-called sport cars aren't real rally cars anyway, the "Y" divide is so widely spread even from factory. Consequently, adding a dual (or more) exhaust to a originally single exhaust car won't change anything to the common rule, so don't worry about that !

Then the noise level essentially comes from the silencer(s)' structure. Sport exhausts makers make noisy silencers on purpose, because that's what their customers are asking for.

On the other hand, dividing the exhaust stream will obviously divide the pressure in each silencer too, so the overall result will be the same anyway (apart form each silencer's ability to actually reduce noise, as stated before).

Also note that diesel cars never produce a lot of noise at the exhaust tip. That's because gas-oil burns, while petrol explodes. If your exhaust line or silencer gets punctured, you won't probably even notice the difference.

My quad Irmscher exhaust does provide a nice growl, but it's not the kind that would wake up the neighbours at night - in fact, exactly what I was expecting. The real problem with diesels is the huge noise from the engine itself...

Thread Information