User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Actual thermostat and fan operating temperatures?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Actual thermostat and fan operating temperatures?

Hello to all,
    New to this forum. I have recently purchased a 2003 vectra c 1.8 club (hatchback with aircon). The car came with a non working thermostat so that has now ben changed by my local garage (too long since I got my half inch socket set out and it's all torx now so a new tool kit would be required). The car now warms up quickly and the temperature sits at about 82 degrees on the move and then slowly rises when sittng in traffic to 92 degrees at which point the fan kicks in and causes the temperature to fluctuate around the 90 mark.I know that the thermostats on the 1.8's are rated at 92 degrees. I would have thought that this meant that the car should have it's temperature regulated at 92 degrees on the move ??? My question is what should the regulated temperature be for the car when it's reached it's perfect running temperature on the move(not stuck in traffic) and what is the actual temeprature that the fan should kick in ? Somewhere there must be actual figures for these. The thermostat for the 2.2 is rated at 82 degrees confusionally the same as what my 1.8 runs at whilst on the move. Thanks in advance for any replies. Wickers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Year : 2009

Mileage : 85000

On my 1.8 the thermostat opens at 86 and, as you've found, the fan kicks in at 92. In the winter mine sits at 85 and in the summer it sits at 90 unless stopped in traffic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Mine too (now I've got a working thermostat!). The temperature range it's aiming for is 85-90C.

If the car's not moving (so effectively the radiator isn't doing much to cool what's passing through it), the temperature rises to 87 (mid way between the marks on the gauge), then drops back slightly (thermostat opens fully and the cold coolant in the radiator gets mixed with the hot coolant in the engine), then carries on rising until the needle's just past the 90 mark when the fan comes on, then it cycles on and off every few minutes and coolant temperature sits between 88 and 92.

If the car's moving, then it normally sits between 86 (heaters on full, moving fast in sub zero conditions) and 88. Stopping in traffic after a high speed cruise it'll creep up to 92 then drop back to 87 when moving again.

82 is too low. Did you replace the temperature sensor and housing, or just the thermostat? If just the thermostat then it could still be leaking slightly due to a worn housing (my previous stat did this), or the sensor could be covered in limescale and not getting a true reading.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi, thanks for the replies.

The new thermostat was a complete new unit including the thermostat housing with new temp sender.

When the temperature sits at 82 degrees on the move it does also drop slighltly below the 80 mark if the heater is put on full blast.

Should I be going back to the garage and say the new part is faulty?

Wickers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

Trim : design

Quote Originally Posted by Wickers View Post
    Hi, thanks for the replies.

The new thermostat was a complete new unit including the thermostat housing with new temp sender.

When the temperature sits at 82 degrees on the move it does also drop slighltly below the 80 mark if the heater is put on full blast.

Should I be going back to the garage and say the new part is faulty?

Wickers
    How are you measuring these temperatures so accuratley?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Interpulating between the main marks on the temp gauge. Assuming the temp gauge is accurate it seems reasonably possible to be visually within +/- one degree. This of course is based on my assumption that the temp gauge is accurate ????

Thread Information